PDA

View Full Version : Predict who else will get cut (poll)

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2012, 03:29 PM
One of the other things that Steelers GM Kevin Colbert talked about today at media day at the combine was more player cuts.

He didn't specify who will get cut but he did say more terminations were forthcoming.

So who's your prediction to actually get cut outright? Let us know by your vote and explanation here in the forums.

I put some likely possibilities in the poll. If you select "other" let us know who and why. You can vote for more than 1 name in the poll.

JollyRob68
02-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Everyone on your list should be cut however, Colbert said Hampton will be back so I think he'll take a pay cut. Will Allen should be gone. Farrior or Foote they'll make a choice but I'd say bye bye and be more athletic with what we have. I want to see Worilds,Sylvester,Morte Ivy & Carter play.
Chris K I think they'll wait until after the draft and try to trade him. If he doesn't improve during OTA's they'll cut him June 1st to spread out his dead money.

Goodfrom55
02-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Ward will hang around until they know for sure whether or not they can resign Wallace to a long term deal. If not, he stays, if they do, then I believe he will be cut. Otherwise, Kemo, Smitty, KC, Foote or Farrior.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Colbert did indeed say that Hampton may be back. That tells me that McLendon is a possible starter at NT next season or a possible draft pick who they will bring on slowly and let Casey play out this coming year yet.

Zachintosh66
02-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Kemo prolly, i dont see them holding both Foote and Farrior, but Id be surprised if they let Farrior go to be honest, even tho most of us think they should.

Fact remains... Steelers are being the Steelers, No big purge in players. There wont be no big FA signings. They found away to get their $ under the cap (Ben did his today). They will draft best available and build the team from there. Which will prolly dictate players futures such as Farrioir, Smith, Colon etc

Ibleedblk&gld
02-23-2012, 07:06 PM
I want Kemo gone just as bad as I wanted BA gone...

DIESELMAN
02-23-2012, 07:33 PM
In others Steelers news:

Colbert said he expects Casey Hampton to return in 2012 even though the veteran nose tackle has to become back from a third torn ACL and second one on his left knee.

Colbert said he expects offseason surgery will allow All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey to put the high-ankle sprains that have plagued him in the past

Colbert said the Steelers are hopeful of re-signing veteran backup quarterbacks Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch.

Colbert said quarterback is the only every-down position that the Steelers have eliminated as far as using their first-round pick (No. 24 overall) on in this year's draft.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-23-2012, 08:33 PM
I want Kemo gone just as bad as I wanted BA gone...

Legursky also he is a waste of space, Will Allen also...

coldrolled
02-23-2012, 08:40 PM
we are short on healthy OL kemo and legs stay.

Ibleedblk&gld
02-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Legs didn't single handedly ruin drives, big plays, and the momentum during games like kemo

Nolrog
02-24-2012, 07:32 AM
and let Casey play out this coming year yet.

I don't see how that's possible. He blew out his knee. That's typically a 10ish month recovery. Plus in that time, he won't be able to do anything to stay in shape, and I'm going to guess that his weight becomes an issue. So he'll be ready in what, October, November. And then he can start getting into game shape.

I don't see how this adds up to anything besides letting him go.

Nolrog
02-24-2012, 07:33 AM
we are short on healthy OL kemo and legs stay.

Kemo is aweful, and with a huge price tag (2.4 million savings if cut). Not to mention the stupid play that costs them at least one, if not two personal fouls a game.

Legs is a decent back up. Plus we have no other back up center.

Goodfrom55
02-24-2012, 08:50 AM
I'd rather keep Jonathan Scott then Kemo. Can't pass block and is good for a few 15 yarders each game.

much sarcasm here. Keep Trai Essex and cut Scott too.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2012, 09:21 AM
As much as we all have issues with Kemo and Scott, I would bet that both will be on the roster at least until training camp. At that time I would assume, and hope, that there is an all out competition on the line for both starting Guards and whatever Tackle position Gilbert doesn’t occupy.

JollyRob68
02-25-2012, 12:51 AM
As much as we all have issues with Kemo and Scott, I would bet that both will be on the roster at least until training camp. At that time I would assume, and hope, that there is an all out competition on the line for both starting Guards and whatever Tackle position Gilbert doesn’t occupy.

I agree, If you look at it from a business not a fan why would they cut kemo before the draft? Also if he's cut June 1st the can spread out his dead money. I think Kemo will Come back solid with OTA's this year(no lock out). Remember we all wanted essex gone and he was one of the best OL and now he's a UFA who wants to start.

SteelDad
02-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Kemo will take a paycut and stay. You'll have a good idea of Hampton's future by what we do in the first two rounds of the draft.
Either Foote or Farrior is gone. Now way they keep both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Nolrog
02-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Kemo will take a paycut and stay. You'll have a good idea of Hampton's future by what we do in the first two rounds of the draft.

Talking to a buddy yesterday, he suggested the Steelers won't do anything with Hampton because then we'd wind up in a situation where there was one and only one choice in the 1st round (Poe) and that people could use that against us to try and get us to give up additional picks or something to get him.

Zachintosh66
02-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Colbert already said Hampton isnt going anywhere

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Yeah they won't do anything with Hampton for the time being. I will say though that if they were to draft Poe you could make a case for them releasing Hampton after June 1st or in training camp. That way his residual cap hit won't be as bad on the books.

tburg68
02-25-2012, 07:52 PM
I would love the see Glenn/Konz in Round 1 & Zeitler in Round 2. Then the Steelers could let Kemo & Essex go. Legursky, Scott, & Foster would be primary backups. That surrounds Pouncey with two big stud G's and makes him even better Gilbert & Colon look that much better playing on the ends of that interior line.

I can't believe the Steelers can hang onto Farrior. He is so slow now that defenses feast on him in the passing game. If he come back, it has to be at minimum salary only in emergency situations, and if they let Foote go.

coldrolled
02-25-2012, 11:14 PM
I would love the see Glenn/Konz in Round 1 & Zeitler in Round 2. Then the Steelers could let Kemo & Essex go. Legursky, Scott, & Foster would be primary backups. That surrounds Pouncey with two big stud G's and makes him even better Gilbert & Colon look that much better playing on the ends of that interior line.

I can't believe the Steelers can hang onto Farrior. He is so slow now that defenses feast on him in the passing game. If he come back, it has to be at minimum salary only in emergency situations, and if they let Foote go.

Georgia guard/tackle Cordy Glenn is 6'5'', 348 pounds, and he looks every bit of that.

He's a big man, but somehow he was able to run an incredible 4.96 40-yard dash—which is unofficial, mind you.

Either way, he looked incredible and fast, especially considering his size.

Everybody is talking about him right now.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2012, 01:39 PM
I like Legursky as a backup, you can't deny the dude played Center pretty admirably considering how often Pouncey was out of the lineup. I don't like him at RG at all though, he was terrible in place of Foster. Other than that, in a pinch to insert into the lineup he's a keeper.

Goodfrom55
02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Georgia guard/tackle Cordy Glenn is 6'5'', 348 pounds, and he looks every bit of that.

He's a big man, but somehow he was able to run an incredible 4.96 40-yard dash—which is unofficial, mind you.

Either way, he looked incredible and fast, especially considering his size.

Everybody is talking about him right now.

How was his performance on the bench? Doesn't make a man, but it does help if he is going to be lining up VS Ngata and Cody 2x a year.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Now that we're just about into March we should expect to see the rest of the coming restructures and or cuts here in the next week to week and half. Aaron Smith is a no brainer at this point. Keeping him around even at the veteran minimum is unfortunately just the way wrong move.

JensK
02-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Per NFL.com

Steelers will release WR Ward

Pittsburgh Steelers announce they will release 14-year veteran WR Hines Ward before March 13.

connecticutsteel
03-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Farrior, smith, moore will not sign nor will gay

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2012, 06:22 PM
So Ward and Smith are now gone; if there are more you have to figure it's going to either Foote or Farrior.