PDA

View Full Version : Colbert: We want Mike Wallace to finish career in*Pittsburgh

Big T
02-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Colbert: We want Mike Wallace to finish career in Pittsburgh
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 23, 2012, 12:28 PM EST

Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert threw cold water Thursday on the notion that wide receiver Mike Wallace will be going anywhere this offseason.

“We’re going to do everything we can to make sure Mike Wallace remains a Pittsburgh Steeler. And I think that’s Mike’s hope as well. Usually when you have two parties that share the same goal, it’s easier to achieve that goal,” Colbert said.

Colbert confirmed the franchise tag is still an option, but he’s waiting to find out the final salary cap number from the NFL.
“We want to make sure Mike can finish his career with the Steelers. I’m very confident that Mike wants to finish his career with the Steelers and play with a great quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger. . . . We think he’s only scratched the surface in what he can do,” Colbert said after PFT asked him about slashing salary cap space to make room for Wallace’s franchise number.

Salary cap problems are almost always overstated. NFL teams find a way to hold on to players that they truly want to keep. Colbert indicated that more roster cuts and restructures are coming. *(On Hines Ward, Colbert said only that Ward is still on the roster.)

One way or another, Colbert indicated the Steelers will do everything possible to keep Wallace. I wouldn’t bet against the Steelers being*successful in that effort.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/23/colbert-we-want-mike-wallace-to-finish-career-in-pittsburgh/

I'm still very nervous that he'll be gone but I have a feeling the FO will find a way to keep him.

MDSteel15
02-23-2012, 01:11 PM
can you imagine he and Brown in the Burgh for their entire careers???? Fun times ahead boys and girls!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2012, 01:30 PM
We can't underestimate the power of a 1st round tender. We think just because there are teams that are in the market for a receiver and are picking close to where the Steelers are, doesn't mean they'll give up their 1st round pick.

They are a premium, you don't normally get restricted free agents with a first round tender signed away.

However in this case because of the teams choosing late in the draft wanting a receiver you can certainly see where Wallace will garner some interest.

If Wallace truly wants to stay in Pittsburgh they'll find a way to get it done.

Goodfrom55
02-23-2012, 01:49 PM
That's refreshing news and I hope they work omething out. Listening or reading Wallace's comments, I took it as he will go to whoever offers the most $$$, which wouldn't be the Steelers. If he is retained, great. If not, then I hope he goes to the 49ers so the Steelers will only have to play him once every 4 years or if they ever play each other in the SB. here is the thing though, the Steelers and everyone else would be signing him long term based on potential. He DISAPPEARED in the 2nd half of the season once he started drawing press and double coverage which helped the emergence of AB. I hope they figure out a way to keep him, but as I have said before, out of Sanders, Wallace, and AB, one of them will leave.

coldrolled
02-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Good Poker... Maybe?

SteelDad
02-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Good Poker... Maybe?

Excellent point.

Last 8 games of 2011 he averaged less than 50 yards per game. I need more production.

JollyRob68
02-23-2012, 02:18 PM
what else would you expect him to say? I hope we can keep Wallace but he's not worth franchise money. He doesn't go after the ball and one tweak of a hammie and he's done. I'd rather take the first rounder or be proactive this weekend and trade him. How about to Buffalo for 2nd rounder,CJ Spiller & Terrell TRoupe? I like that and CJ isn't to happy in Buffalo

Goodfrom55
02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
One thing about the Steelers top 3 WR's is none are physical. AB showed signs of going up and getting the ball, but they all struggled to get off the LOS vs physical press coverage.

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-23-2012, 04:21 PM
He was originally a what 4th.or lower pick? Getting a first for him may not be a bad thing but getting another first means more money problems...ie how are we gonna sign everybody?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

coldrolled
02-23-2012, 04:58 PM
He was originally a what 4th.or lower pick? Getting a first for him may not be a bad thing but getting another first means more money problems...ie how are we gonna sign everybody?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

We get younger more old vets leave

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2012, 07:53 PM
We all like to keep guys that we've drafted. I do too. But that additional 1st round pick could solve a lot of issues for us. Of course whatever they decide I'll go with but our lines have to be address in a serious fashion if we are going to take the division back from the Ravens.