PDA

View Full Version : Is letting Wallace go and getting a 1st round pick fair compensation?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2012, 09:59 AM
It's by no means a done deal yet that Wallace is going somewhere else next season. If it does come down to that though, the Steelers will at least get a first round pick out of it. Is that a decent trade off in your opinion?

In the end if you can't afford Wallace then you'll be happy with whatever you can get but at least it would be a good draft pick.

I would still like to see him stay but man the last time the Steelers had 2 first round picks was in the 70's. Imagine how much you do with that now? 2 offensive lineman, 1 lineman on offense and one on defense, 1 lineman and 1 middle linebacker.

You could deal one of those picks for more 2nd round and 3rd rounders. Take both of your first rounders and move up if you really want to go after someone like Kalil or even Blackmon. Ok that's a bit of a stretch, lol. but you get the idea.

LatrobePA
02-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Very fair for a one trick pony IMO... Don't get me wrong I love the guy but he's not the best route runner like AB and even ES and quite honestly may be very overrated!

SteelDad
02-23-2012, 11:04 AM
I consider Ed Bouchette to be the most reliable or at least one of the most reliable journalists around the Steelers. This morning on 93.7 he was asked point blank if Wallace is a Steeler in 2012 and said, "He is gone."

Frankly if it works out this way I'm OK with it.

LatrobePA
02-23-2012, 11:13 AM
I've been saying all along he'll be gone.. IMO he's not worth the money a team will be throwing at him... One knee injury away from slowing him down into an average WR at best..

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2012, 11:45 AM
That whole "one trick pony" label that Tomlin gave him seems to have reared it's head again given his performance the last half of the season.

As much as I'd love to see Wallace stick around, gimme that first round pick if it comes down to that and I'm cool with it.

jpele
02-23-2012, 12:03 PM
I like the idea of a 1st for Wallace now that there is a rookie wage scale.

jpele
02-23-2012, 12:13 PM
He said he'd like to stay with the Steelers but understands that it's a business and he will do what's best for him. Asked about going to the Niners or Pats Wallace said that he's the missing part to their puzzle. Guessing that means bye , bye Mike.

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2012, 12:36 PM
I think Wallace will be going to the Patriots. Because he'll not want to go to the Ravens because the Flacco won't get him the ball the way he wants it in a run first offense. But in New England, Wallace will see the ball alot and he if he could be half as effective as Moss was in 2007, He'd be considered a superstar. Look for Wallace in New England.

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Considering where we got Wallace, what our offense is going to be going forward,....yeah a first round pick is more then fair. We can fix our lines,
with those picks, get a good linebacker in the second round and add another WR (big body WR hopefully) in the later rounds....yeah....

This is going to work out fine.

jpele
02-23-2012, 12:47 PM
I think Wallace will be going to the Patriots. Because he'll not want to go to the Ravens because the Flacco won't get him the ball the way he wants it in a run first offense. But in New England, Wallace will see the ball alot and he if he could be half as effective as Moss was in 2007, He'd be considered a superstar. Look for Wallace in New England.

I'm not so sure about that, there's Colston , Bowe , Jackson and a few others to pick from. Bill will take the whom ever he believes will give the best production.

You have to remember , Moss would catch anything in his neighborhood , Wallace has trouble with anything that isn't dropped into his hands.

connecticutsteel
02-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Man people have no loyalty anymore you all act like he sucks. like he has done nothing for us UM Hello 2 1000 yd seasons 1 pro bowl and he was the reason Antonio Brown reached 1000 yds because many teams doubled him leaving brown and sanders one on one . personally i think he wants to stay with the Steelers rather than start over with another team .If he wants to stay the steelers don't have to match any offer so we will see. If he does leave we will get a 1st round pick so let's hope he goes to a ****** team like the redskins or seahawks

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm not so sure about that, there's Colston , Bowe , Jackson and a few others to pick from. Bill will take the whom ever he believes will give the best production.

You have to remember , Moss would catch anything in his neighborhood , Wallace has trouble with anything that isn't dropped into his hands.

Remember, the Patriots need someone who can strecth the field. Colston, Bowe don't offer that like Wallace can. Trust me, Wallace WILL be the one the Patriots go after. And Brady CAN drop the ball into Wallace's hands. That's why Wallace IS the perfect fit for them.

lloydfan4life
02-23-2012, 01:20 PM

pardon me for not being the most educated in the whole free agency process... but will Mike even have a choice in where he ends up? or is it whoever strikes the sweetest deal with the Steelers? :dunno:

Raleigh Steel
02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Man people have no loyalty anymore you all act like he sucks. like he has done nothing for us UM Hello 2 1000 yd seasons 1 pro bowl and he was the reason Antonio Brown reached 1000 yds because many teams doubled him leaving brown and sanders one on one . personally i think he wants to stay with the Steelers rather than start over with another team .If he wants to stay the steelers don't have to match any offer so we will see. If he does leave we will get a 1st round pick so let's hope he goes to a ****** team like the redskins or seahawks

thank you!!!! i'd love for mike to stay and be the #1 in a REAL offense. but if we can't afford him, we can't afford him. but this guy is a stud, and not easily replaced.

jpele
02-23-2012, 01:24 PM
If the Steelers do not sign Mike Wallace to a long-term deal, and if they put a first-round tender on him as a restricted free agent, and if another team presents Wallace with an offer sheet that he likes enough to sign, and if the Steelers decide not to match that offer sheet to keep him, then the Steelers would receive the team’s No. 1 pick in the 2012 draft. In the event a team has more than one No. 1 pick in this draft, the Steelers would get that team’s original pick.

Nolrog
02-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Who defines fair? Would you take that? Difficult. Mid #1 or late #1? Obviously, the higher the pick the more "fair" it is.

We do have some really huge holes that we could fill with that. A great guard and Poe. Imagine that. Or Poe and another Timmons type MILB. Would the team overall be better off filling those two holes and creating a bit of a need at WR?

Could we get someone decent at WR later in the draft, thus mitigating the impact somewhat?

connecticutsteel
02-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Wallace had 8 td's no other reciever had more than 2 for the steelers. Plus with Wallace his speed makes the other team play 2 safties high and wide if he is not on the field they can stack 8 in the box and shut down everything .So if you want to now really how bad our O-line was it will only get worse for us without wallace .there is no way any team can play up at the line with wallace we have to sign him now if we can find another reciever with his speed than let him go

JollyRob68
02-23-2012, 03:33 PM
pardon me for not being the most educated in the whole free agency process... but will Mike even have a choice in where he ends up? or is it whoever strikes the sweetest deal with the Steelers? :dunno:

Its not a deal with The Steelers its a deal with Wallace that The Steelers can't match. If The Pats Offer wallace a LArge signing bonus and up front money then The Steelers have 7 days to match or be compensated. The only thing The Steelers control is if they try to trade him now before free agency.

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Hell no! Not only is he a good player now, but he has major potential. Not to mention we just got a great WR coach in Todd Haley. The first round pick also has a chance to be a bust.

JollyRob68
02-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Wallace had 8 td's no other reciever had more than 2 for the steelers. Plus with Wallace his speed makes the other team play 2 safties high and wide if he is not on the field they can stack 8 in the box and shut down everything .So if you want to now really how bad our O-line was it will only get worse for us without wallace .there is no way any team can play up at the line with wallace we have to sign him now if we can find another reciever with his speed than let him go

I like Wallace but all he is is speed. He doesn't attack the ball at the highest point,Doesn't break up passes that might get intercepted. Instead he whines to the ref. We can get another speedy receiver in any round just like we got him. However, we don't know when we'd have the opportunity to get a second 1st round pick to fix our aging Defense & Olines or ILB.

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
I consider Ed Bouchette to be the most reliable or at least one of the most reliable journalists around the Steelers. This morning on 93.7 he was asked point blank if Wallace is a Steeler in 2012 and said, "He is gone."

Frankly if it works out this way I'm OK with it.Pretty sure he's also a guy who said the Haley talk was just a smokescreen....just sayin

JollyRob68
02-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Hell no! Not only is he a good player now, but he has major potential. Not to mention we just got a great WR coach in Todd Haley. The first round pick also has a chance to be a bust.

Bust or set us up to be in The Super Bowl for the rest of Ben's Career. If The Steelers don't get back to The Steeler way of letting players go when its time we'll all be here doing the shoulda,coulda,woulda. Strike while we can.

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Bust or set us up to be in The Super Bowl for the rest of Ben's Career. If The Steelers don't get back to The Steeler way of letting players go when its time we'll all be here doing the shoulda,coulda,woulda. Strike while we can.

It's not "Wallace's time". He IS the reason AB was so good this year. Our offense would suffer without him. People don't realize now, but if he leaves, we'll all becwishing we still had him.

JollyRob68
02-23-2012, 04:04 PM
It's not "Wallace's time". He IS the reason AB was so good this year. Our offense would suffer without him. People don't realize now, but if he leaves, we'll all becwishing we still had him.

I agree Wallace take the top off helps AB. Also remember that the year before Emu was the man before he broke his foot in The Super Bowl. I just think we can get another deep threat and if we have Speedy receivers & use our TE more we could be better. It would help tweak Ben to get the ball out of his hands faster instead of always looking for the home run.

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-23-2012, 04:07 PM
I agree Wallace take the top off helps AB. Also remember that the year before Emu was the man before he broke his foot in The Super Bowl. I just think we can get another deep threat and if we have Speedy receivers & use our TE more we could be better. It would help tweak Ben to get the ball out of his hands faster instead of always looking for the home run.You have a point but I'm just not a fan of us letting our #1 WRs go, especially when he has soooooo much potential. It's starting to become a trend.

xBlitzBurghx
02-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Santonio, wallace, brown, cotchery, and sanders would be the nastiest receiver corps ever.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

K Train
02-23-2012, 06:34 PM
im such a whore for an extra first rounder....the niners or patriots pick isnt that exciting though lol.

im ok either way though

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
im such a whore for an extra first rounder....the niners or patriots pick isnt that exciting though lol.

im ok either way though

screw the extra first rounder.......keeping Wallace, Brown, and Sanders together is the best move......I have been hard on Wallace lately but I still like him and think the best is yet to come for him........

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2012, 11:48 PM
I want to see Wallace become a more complete Wide receiver this season. Becoming a better route runner. With a full off-season and training camp, there will be no excuses for him.

coach
02-24-2012, 01:15 PM
I am somewhere between K and Black&Gold on this one. I think we will get production form our WRs and he can be replaced so I would love an extra 1st, especially if it was from a team in front of us and not behind us. This would instantly upgrade two or three positions for us with our second rounder included.
What I think hurts is if he ends up with teams like NE, Bal or Cinc.

If a team with cap space (Sea, Jax, TB and others) offers him a sweet deal and we scoop their pick, and he doesn't haunt s for the rest of his career, it could work work for us too.

I know they are clearing room for him and it looks like they might be able to sign him, so this might be moot, but I wouldn't mind layin awake at night dreaming of two first round studs coming to us in this year's draft class.

Real Deal Steel
02-24-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm telling you....we need to really consider going afte Bowe instead. If we are going to pay big money for a wide reciever, why should it be Wallace?

We could get an additional first round pick for Wallace and sign Bowe! Forget loyalty. It's about getting the best ballclub possible. And Bowe is a more complete wide receiver then Wallace. Wallace has more speed, but Bowe is better in every other department. We have speed all ready in Brown and Sanders.

Mean Linebacker
02-24-2012, 02:51 PM
A first round draft choice would absolutely be fair compensation. Wallace is a good receiver with the potential to be great but he's not complete yet. If a team wants to give up their number 1 for him I'd be all for it.

If he sticks around then I'm anxious to see how Haley can work with him. Perhaps he's able to help take Wallace's game to the next level.

Scorp
03-20-2012, 12:33 AM
I think we're stuck with Wallace. I'm fine with that.

Real Deal Steel
03-20-2012, 12:59 AM
Ditto. But let's wait awhile longer before we exhale.

coldrolled
03-20-2012, 07:43 AM
We have one month to go.. Trades, DUI's, Assualts, Blood Tests.. Someone may need him.

Denver may look more after manning starts shopping. Manning may want him, but he really needs to be looking for a LT, RT support and depth more than anything... he has to keep that pumpkin up straight.

SuperSteelers
03-23-2012, 02:54 AM
Answer to OP's question is.....YES.