PDA

View Full Version : Should the Steelers look at Dwayne Bowe?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Saw this article this morning (http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2012/02/pittsburgh-steelers-rumors-should.html) that turned my wheels a bit. My first thought was, no way they'll have the cap room. That's probably still going to be the case but should Wallace go elsewhere and they end up with enough space to make some moves, Bowe would be a pretty sick addition to the team.

With Steelers No. 1 wide receiver Mike Wallace a restricted free agent and looking to possibly try to cash in elsewhere, Pittsburgh could be in the market for one of this year's big name free agent receivers.

One player that could be a possibility is current Kansas City Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe, who could follow his former head coach and now-Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley to Pittsburgh.

The Steelers aren't desperate for WR talent, especially with young stars like Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders on the rise, but looking at Haley's past success, especially as an offensive coordinator with the Cardinals, multiple big time receivers have been a part of the game plan.

In Arizona, Haley had Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin and Steve Breaston to work with. Even when he had Bowe in Kansas City, Haley drafted Jonathan Baldwin and brought in Breaston to complement him.

Now with the Steelers, bringing in Bowe doesn't sound so crazy. Bowe would give Pittsburgh the Fitzgerald-Boldin-like combination Haley had in Arizona. Not to mention, Bowe had his best statistical season with Haley in 2010, pulling in 72 catches for 1,162 yards and 15 scores.

cmerrifield
02-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Bowe and 2 first round picks would be sweet. If the Steelers lose Wallace, I want them to go after a quality WR. We need three capable guys. So either Bowe, Cotchery again, or somebody decent as the #3 WR. I think Ward is at best a #4 WR right now.

MDSteel15
02-23-2012, 09:25 AM
What's the difference between paying Wallace and paying Bowe?

Zachintosh66
02-23-2012, 09:31 AM
If were paying anyone who is not an OL... i want Michael Bush

cmerrifield
02-23-2012, 10:33 AM
What's the difference between paying Wallace and paying Bowe?

One extra first round pick. That may not be a bad idea. We have 7 days to match the offer. We could see if we could find a suitable replacement in that week and still get an extra first rounder.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

MDSteel15
02-23-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm talking about in terms of $$$! It's going to be about the same!

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2012, 12:45 PM
If were paying anyone who is not an OL... i want Michael Bush

I too have been quitely drooling over Michael Bush too. Dreaming of what he'd look like in Black and Gold. But I can't see us getting him right now. Considering our salary cap restrictions, the defection of Wallace to another team, etc. etc.

But Bush would be perfect for what we want to do on offense going forward.

But our first priority is the D-Line and the O-line. We need an OT and a nose tackle in a red alert way.

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2012, 12:48 PM
We DO need a big body WR that would contrast to Brown and Sanders. A big body WR would definitely help us in the red zone. But Bowe is going to be too expensive.

I tell you what? I'd love to see us swap Wallace for Bowe straight up in some type of way that would be cap friendly for us. That would be a win/win for both teams. Because the Chiefs have big body WR's, they need a speed guy to contrast to what they have.

86WARD
02-24-2012, 12:09 AM
No. Why would they?!?

Nolrog
02-24-2012, 07:24 AM
If the Steelers have any money to spend on free agents, they should focus on the OL, then the DL then MILB. It makes no sense spending money on WR when we have such huge needs elsewhere.

Goodfrom55
02-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Steelers did not have their stars restructure to bring in top name free agents. They wanna keep who they have (Wallace) and build through the draft. Nice to dream though.

steelspikes
02-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Generally very un-Steelerlike to go after offensive playmakers, but this would not be a bad move by any stretch. Not a huge fan of Wallace since I saw him get tossed around like a rag doll in SB 46. But if we keep him, hope we also retain Cotchery to have a more solid possession guy.

Real Deal Steel
02-24-2012, 02:01 PM
That's my point. I like Wallace as much as the next Steeler fan. But if we are going to pay big money for a wide reciever, why shouldn't it be Bowe instead of Wallace? We have two speed wide recievers in Brown and Sanders. We need a big body, possession wide reciever and Bowe would be perfect.

Here's the argument: IF..we are going to pay a wide reciever a lot of money, why should it be Wallace?? Isn't Bowe the better wide receiver?? And Haley is alreaday fimiliar with Bowe too! We could let the Patriots (for example) get Wallace, then we'd have two first round picks and then sign Bowe! That's a win/win for us all the way around. Something to really think about.

Goodfrom55
02-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Move Wallace in the slot and use him the way NE uses Wekler - get him in space and let him accumulate YAC.

Nolrog
02-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Move Wallace in the slot and use him the way NE uses Wekler - get him in space and let him accumulate YAC.

That's how they should use Brown. They need Wallace to stretch the field with his blazing speed. Using him like Welker doesn't take advantage of his biggest asset.

LatrobePA
02-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Brown slot, Wallace out wide... Hines unemployee'd, Cotchery and Sanders....

CowherPower
02-28-2012, 12:41 AM
With the developments in the Steelers cap situation recently and most teams backing out of the Wallace talk I would be shocked if he doesn't return.

As far Bowe goes, hell yeah I'd love to have him. While he doesn't have the blazing speed that Wallace does he's certainly got the toughness and good hands down pat. Bowe and Brown on the outside, Sanders in the slot and Cotchery filling in...yeah I'd be ok with that!

Nolrog
02-28-2012, 07:14 AM
One player that could be a possibility is current Kansas City Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe, who could follow his former head coach and now-Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley to Pittsburgh.

I'm going to say the same thing I said to every other kind of these threads that come up. If we're going to dabble in free agency, we need a guard, nose or MILB. Anyone that's not one of those positions is a waste of time and money. What good is a fantastic receiving corp when the QB has less than 3 seconds to throw the ball, and the offensive line can't block 3 or 4 defenders with 5 and 6 men.

connecticutsteel
02-28-2012, 08:12 AM
I would rather draft a big body if Wallace leaves. there are plenty like sanu he will be avalible @24 if the case dictated