PDA

View Full Version : Future Salary Problems?

Mc_Muffin
02-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Hey there,

in my defense I am not a huge expert on Football so I got a few question on the Cap Situation.

Let's say the Steelers are able to make it under the cap for 2012 by restructering the contracs on all the players (like Harrison and all those)...

Isn't that gonna make the Problems even worse in Future years? I mean as I understood the whole point in restructering its like saying "Ok you get a little more money, but you get it next year"...Like lets say you have a player that hits for 4 Mio...then you go ask the player if its ok to give him 2 Mio this year but instead give him 2.5 Mios spread over the remaining time of contract in addition to what he would have gotten anyway.

That goes on until the Steelers will have to commit to a rebuilding year where they just drop a bunch of good players to really save some money and then sign a couple of goods players with the cap space that you then have free in the following years?

I hope you see where I am trying to go with this. And I also hope, that you can tell me where exactly my logic is wrong, because if I'm not right, that means that the Steelers will have to build in a rebuilding year sooner or later?

Greets,

Mc_Muffin

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Basically when a player gets a restructure done on an existing contract, they take his salary for that year and turn a portion of it into a signing bonus that they can then spread out over the life of the contract. The player doesn’t actually lose any money he just gets a big check now and much less in his game checks during the season.

You can potentially run into issues with cap problems in the future by doing this but every team does it. It’s the easiest way, relatively speaking of course, to ease your salary cap figure and still keep the players you want. Players with big contracts, Roethlisberger, Harrison, Timmons, Woodley, Hampton, etc. those guys know they pretty much will be asked to restructure every year. You simply can’t give someone $60 million and expect there not to be issues down the road with their cap value.

Contracts are also back filled in many situations; where a player gets a huge signing bonus, modest yearly salary, and then in the last 1-2 years of their deal they are due a ton of money. That’s like a safe guard for the team to be able to cut the player without paying him all of his money should something happen where they want to get rid of him.

Honestly this offseason is a bit different than in the past because they are so far over but it’s not the end of the world. In the next couple of years the new TV deal’s will go into place and teams will be able to spend a lot more on players because the salary cap ceiling will be raised much higher than the 120 million that it’s at now.

Nolrog
02-22-2012, 07:18 PM
With the restructuring done (and the ones anticipated) they will be about 7 or so million over the cap for next year. Not too bad that couldn't be over come with other means (e.g., extending someone longer and pushing the bonus out farther.)

In 2014, the new TV deal becomes effective, which will mean a large bump to the cap, so it won't be a huge issue then.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2012, 08:04 PM
They knew getting through this year would be tough after signing all those deals but so far they've handled it just fine.

The media keeps going crazy talking about how bad things are, the Steelers never have to jettison multiple players just to drop money from the cap. They may cut a couple more before this is done but if they do it'll work itself out with new draft picks to pick up the slack. Most of the players they would release would be guys who are at the end of their careers anyway.

Nolrog
02-22-2012, 08:36 PM
but if they do it'll work itself out with new draft picks to pick up the slack.

I think more than anything we need a really great draft this year. None of this Worlids, Sweed crap. Last year was a pretty solid one with Ironhead, Gilbert, Brown and Allen. But we could use another draft like 2007.

Real Deal Steel
02-22-2012, 11:45 PM
First , we need to draft well. Guess that goes without saying. Then we also need to develope our depth. Similar to what Green Bay has done.

RIVERS OF STEEL
02-23-2012, 05:57 AM
http://tinyurl.com/7km3jvm courtesy of bleacherreport.com

If this is true, take a deep breath an relax a bit as it appears $$$ is not as bad as people are makin it out to be. Just sayin.