PDA

View Full Version : Ward pleads guilty to reckless driving from arrest in Georgia

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward pleaded guilty to reckless driving Wednesday morning in a Georgia courtroom stemming from a DUI arrest last summer.

Ward also pleaded no contest to a charge of failing to maintain lane as part of a plea agreement that the came with the DeKalb County Solicitor's office dropping the DUI charge.

Ward was sentenced to 12 months in prison, but will not have to serve any additional time behind bars. Ward posted $1,000 bond and was released hours after his arrest back on July 9.

Ward was also fined $2,000 and was ordered to perform 80 hours of community service.

The court agreed to allow Ward to check in via phone or email for his probation to accommodate his travel as an NFL player.

Ward was arrested just outside Atlanta this past summer when an officer saw him hit a curb in his Aston Martin in the early morning hours of July 9. Ward failed a field sobriety test and was arrested.

The Super Bowl XL MVP has played 14 years in the NFL, all with the Steelers.

From the Trib (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_782935.html)

LatrobePA
02-22-2012, 01:44 PM
See what the dancing did to him, turned him into a junky! lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2012, 02:16 PM
I think we all pretty much forgot about this. Who hear thinks that anybody else, meaning not a sports star or celebrity, would be doing those 12 months in jail?

RIVERS OF STEEL
02-22-2012, 07:56 PM
^
You got it. How long begore Ward is gone? Out the door by draft time?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2012, 11:47 AM
So he's got community service, a fine, and alcohol counseling. That's par for the course for guys like Hines in these types of situations.

They won't make a move with Ward, at least I wouldn't think so, until they see what happens with Wallace. They may restructure his deal to free up space but they won't cut him right away even if that is their intention later.

OldSchool58
02-23-2012, 11:54 AM
He got off light. But I remember a few years ago when Leonard Little of the Rams was convicted of DUI after a wreck in which the woman he hit died at the scene....... Basically, murder....and he got like a 3 game suspension.

Mean Linebacker
02-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Proof positive that money will buy you out of just about anything. I have a problem with his agent saying the fact that that Hines is just doing community service proves that he did nothing wrong.

Of course he did something wrong, he was driving under the influence.

Sheetz
02-25-2012, 02:25 AM
Got off light? I don't see anyone spending 12 months in jail for crossing the center line. What a waste of tax dollars if he did!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2012, 09:22 PM
According to the police at the time and the report he was over the limit as I recall. Either way everybody knew he wasn't going to get anything more than what he did.