PDA

View Full Version : Best way to handle James Farrior

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Our good friend Chuck Finder from CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/PIT) talks about the possibilities in regards to James Farrior.

by Chuck Finder - What to do with Farrior: No. 3 -- Release him (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/17387739)
Defensive captain/conscience James Farrior (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/3435/james-farrior) turned 37 last month. He has played 15 seasons. He has made almost 1,000 tackles. The biggest number: His $2.82 million salary on a team $11 million over the cap, minimum. One former NFL assistant claimed that Farrior was “done” two years ago. Is it time to part ways?

by Chuck Finder - What to do with Farrior: No. 2 -- Restructure (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/17387769)
Because he is the longtime captain/conscience who calls defensive signals, does that make ILB James Farrior (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/3435/james-farrior) indispensable? He alternated with backup Larry Foote (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/302022/larry-foote) often last season to stay fresh. Farrior carries an important voice in the locker-room chemistry that general manager Kevin Colbert keeps saying is important to preserve.

by Chuck Finder - What to do with Farrior: No. 1 -- Cut and paste (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/17387783)
ILBs at age 37 aren’t exactly in high demand. So perhaps the Steelers could shed themselves of James Farrior (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/3435/james-farrior), then come back months later to see if he could return – similar to their OT Max Starks (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/493075/max-starks) method last fall.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2012, 12:06 PM
At this point I really think it's time to look towards the future and get faster on the inside.

Potsie has been a great Steeler, maybe you keep him around in a Hines Ward type of role from 2011 where he's basically just reserve player while you let either Sylvester take over or a draft pick this offseason.

LatrobePA
02-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Tough cut but it's time...

MDSteel15
02-22-2012, 01:53 PM
At this point I really think it's time to look towards the future and get faster on the inside.

Potsie has been a great Steeler, maybe you keep him around in a Hines Ward type of role from 2011 where he's basically just reserve player while you let either Sylvester take over or a draft pick this offseason.

Sylvester definately isn't ready! But I do think it's time to cut Potsie and maybe make him the new LB coach! Foote can handle the duties until whomever we draft takes over! :yellowthumb:

coldrolled
02-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Farrior is ready for LB coach.

SS will be fine. Let him play. Get the extra pick in round #1 for Wallace. Pick up Adam/Glenn/Konz and Hightower. Move on.

Goodfrom55
02-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Steelers definitely need to get younger and as much as I appreciate Farrior and what he has done for the team and city, it is time to turn the page. Sly can line up next to LT in the middle and be effective. He just needs reps so he will stop thinking and start reacting. That in itself will help "slow the game down" for Sly.

LatrobePA
02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Sylvester definately isn't ready!

How do you know please explain?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Sylvester definately isn't ready! But I do think it's time to cut Potsie and maybe make him the new LB coach! Foote can handle the duties until whomever we draft takes over! :yellowthumb:

He definitely wasn't ready last year but he had no offseason to work on his craft. He had training camp and preseason and that was it. I think with an entire offseason he might be close enough to consider throwing him in.

I'll be anxious to watch him in camp and keep up with how he's doing in the OTA's.

JollyRob68
02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
I think the issue is also our Senior Coaches they don't know how to let go. We all love The Steelers but its time to move forward. I understand we cant cut everyone and have too young of a locker room. However, Its time to say good bye to The ones we love. Bye Bye;
Arron Smith(J.MItchell thinks he has tread left,Really when has he played a full season)
Casey Hampton (see above, he's due 8 mil. Injury settle 1 mil and bring in for physical at camp time. Same for Mendenhall Injury settle/camp physical)
James Farrior ( I'd say cut pay keep around to help teach and locker room voice but if you cut ward,cut him too)
Hines Ward ( THanks for the memories)
Larry Foote ( not worth 3 mil. However I'd try to trade him during the draft and then cut after)
CHris K ( sames as Foote try to trade/draft, Cut june 1st to spread out dead money. OTA's might help him stay on roster but needs a pay cut)
Rashard Mendenhall ** Injury Settle bring in for camp Physical and sign cheap/pup list.

THis saves roughly $25 million by cutting them or retiring them. You could Keep Farrior but at reduced pay and possible Ward at reduced pay if you cant sign Wallace. I still would rather see Ward go instead of getting more concussions.

Real Deal Steel
02-22-2012, 06:10 PM
We need more youth and speed from that spot. Time to release him and keep it moving.

Nolrog
02-22-2012, 06:58 PM
I agree. Time to move on. I'd release both Farrior and Foote, and try to free up some money to sign either a replacement. This year's Farrior so to speak.

It's not that Sylvester isn't ready. He's not the guy. There's a reason he dropped to the 5th round (I'm not sure Worilds is the guy either, but that's a discussion for another thread.)

Goodfrom55
02-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Don't forget, Antonio Brown was a 6th round pick. Won't know for sure about Sly until he gets on the field.

tburg68
02-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Why don't the Steelers trade all their leftover dreck for high round draft picks. There has to be all kinds of teams out there willing to give up 1st and 2nd round picks for the likes of Foote, Kemo et. al.

Geez

CowherPower
02-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Maybe you let Farrior walk away and sign Foote to a more cap friendly deal and let him be the primary backup to a new starter in the middle? It's a risk because you are banking on either Sylvester to step up or a draft pick but it could be an option to explore.

86WARD
02-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Time is up...

coldrolled
02-24-2012, 08:02 AM
We need more youth and speed from that spot. Time to release him and keep it moving.

We need 2 #1's hightower and G/C/OT BPA

bye bye to the old ilb's

JoeSteelerFan
02-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Time to cut bait with Farrior. He's not playing "above the line" for an ILB if you will.

I'd rather have Kevin Greene (Packers) as our LB's Coach. I want someone that preaches violence and destruction with passion, not some soft-spoken cat like Farrior.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm pretty happy with Keith Butler as the linebackers coach, he's the heir apparent to Lebeau anyways. How much input he has into holding onto Farrior is up for debate but I'm sure Tomlin and Lebeau take his input seriously. I find it hard to fault them for hanging onto Farrior for this past season. He had a great year in 2010 and Sylvester wasn't ready to take over yet. This is a year though his salary and play is clearly in jeopardy.

coldrolled
02-27-2012, 08:11 AM
if we gold watch the old players, and wallace stays, we need to do some good shopping in FA... should be interesting.

coldrolled
02-27-2012, 08:16 AM
I agree. Time to move on. I'd release both Farrior and Foote, and try to free up some money to sign either a replacement. This year's Farrior so to speak.

It's not that Sylvester isn't ready. He's not the guy. There's a reason he dropped to the 5th round (I'm not sure Worilds is the guy either, but that's a discussion for another thread.)

55 and Worilds are fine, 92 and 56 didnt have banner years either. We are just not playing steelers 3-4 all around and everyone looks old.

the ILB's need to speed up, the front line has to get younger. the CB blitzes are minimal. We need the offense to score quicker so the defense can open up and play blitzburgh ball. we play to protect 3 point leads way to much.

SteelDad
02-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Tough cut but it's time...

Well said.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
The more I think about this, and even though we may not like it, I would almost be willing to be money that Farrior will take a restructure to return for 1 more year. My hope is that they are able to get a guy like Hightower to groom for the future; and/or that Sylvester is ready to take over full time.

I love Potsie, the guy has been nothing but stellar his entire career but sooner or later you just have let go. Either this season or next will be his last IMO.

cuatro_tres43
02-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Well said.

this is also well said.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2012, 12:28 PM
According to Farrior's agent, it's not looking good for Farrior..

@RalphCindrich: Percentages are not w/ #Steelers keeping @JamesFarrior. He wanted to retire a PS but he is healthy & ready-wants to play. Good morning!

CowherPower
03-01-2012, 07:49 PM
My money is on Farrior getting the ax next and then Foote sticking around for a restructure while they groom Stevenson Sylvester or someone like Hightower via the draft.

If you agent is tweeting out to the entire world that his client probably isn't going to be back, the writing is on the wall.