PDA

View Full Version : Steelers restructure Colon's contract now too

BlitzburghRockCity
02-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Bouchette tweeted out this morning that the restructuring has continued for the Steelers, now with Willie Colon.

@EdBouchette (http://www.twitter.com/EdBouchette): #steelers restructure OT Willie Colon contract to save cap space. $3.8 M of his $4.5 M salary for 2012 becomes bonus pro rated over 4 years

The savings that Colon gives them, they are now about $8 million over the cap, it gets them one step closer to getting compliant. With this rework of his deal now, it tells us they are most likely going to keep him around and give him another shot to actually finish an entire season.

Real Deal Steel
02-21-2012, 11:36 AM
I"m sorry but I don't agree with this at all. Colon is done as a player. Plain and simple.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-21-2012, 12:13 PM
If Harrison and Roethlisberger both restructure their deals that should be just about enough to get them cap compliant for the new year. However they still have to free up money to actually sign their draft picks.

Like we've talked about, I would love to see Colon actually come back and be dominant but I just have no faith that he can stay healthy.

Real Deal Steel
02-21-2012, 12:25 PM
They will gain a ton of money once Ben restructures. Enough for the draft picks too if my estimation is correct.

SteelDad
02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Here's the link from PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/21/willie-colon-restructures-deal/

Personally, I don't see how he stays around. He is coming off of two significant injuries that have proven to be extremely tough to come back from.

Goodfrom55
02-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Confidence is not high here either, but who knows? They'll dump starks and call him in November

JensK
02-21-2012, 03:40 PM
They would have had to pay a lot for him even if they let him go, which ultimately would have hurt them cap-wise anyway. This way they get a decent player who could help solidify the o-line if he can stay healthy. If not, he earned some money which Steelers hardly could have avoided paying anyway.

JollyRob68
02-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Maybe Colon & CHris K will benefit from no lockout and OTA's.
To get to cap all they have to do is tell Arron Smith and Hines Ward we're going younger. Thanks for being AWESOME STEELERS. That saves over 6 Million.
They can get way under the cap by trimming the fat. Injury settle with Hampton & Mendenhall,have them come to camp for physical and possibly resign them cheap. Cut Farrior and/or Foote and reduce there pay.

Goodfrom55
02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't see any way possible Hampton is here next year, especially with the timing of his injury. Kemo, Smitty, Farrior and Foote - oh and unfortunately Hines, will be let go. I can deal with Legursky at LG, but an eventual replacement should be drafted this year.

coldrolled
02-21-2012, 06:20 PM
We will need Colon... We can only draft so many players.