PDA

View Full Version : Free agent kicker or draft?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Here's a list of the available free agent kickers according to NFL.com. The Steelers will certainly be looking to bring in competition for Sean Suisham at the very least this year. Certainly you can spend a late round pick on a kicker in this years draft and give him the entire offseason to get used to kicking at Heinz Field. It wouldn't be the same as kicking in windy, rainy, and snowy conditions that you get in Pittsburgh in the winter but you have to start somewhere.

Anyway, whats your thoughts on who to bring

Conner Barth

Bucs

jay Feely

Cardinals

Nick Folk

Jets

Grahm Gano

Redskins

Shane Graham

Ravens

Steve Hauschka

Seahawks

John Kasay

Saints

Rian Lindell

Bills

Mike Nugent

Bengals

Matt Prater

Broncos

Neil Rackers

Texans

Dave Rayner

Bills

Josh Scobee

Jaguars

Zachintosh66
02-20-2012, 08:49 AM
FA... Scobee and Prater will be retained

Nolrog
02-20-2012, 09:29 AM
IMO, this is a big position to upgrade. Trotting Sushi out there and holding our breath just doesn't work. They need kickers (both PK and P) that we have faith in and will nail it all the time. That would turn a shaky part of the game into a strength. A PK that will nail it or a P that will flip field position makes everyone's life much easier on both sides of the ball.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-20-2012, 09:55 AM
It was very stupid to enter the 2011 season with Suisham as the kicker....But this is the same organization that entered the season with Jonathan Scott at LT and stupid sloth Chris Kemoeatu at LG.....The worst left side combo OL in the NFL to protect our franchise QB....lol

Raleigh Steel
02-20-2012, 12:45 PM
It was very stupid to enter the 2011 season with Suisham as the kicker....But this is the same organization that entered the season with Jonathan Scott at LT and stupid sloth Chris Kemoeatu at LG.....The worst left side combo OL in the NFL to protect our franchise QB....lol

holy crap, i never even thought about it like that. yikes! it's amazing that ben is still alive.

however we get one, we need to upgrade this position. personally i like barth, and rackers. i wish we'd have gone after akers last season. and i really like pitt's kicker, kevin harper, but he's a year away which doesn't help us now, but he already knows how to kick at heinz field and he's pretty damn good at it. so we should keep an eye on him.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Rackers still has some leg left in him, he might be a possibility. He was 32-38 this year with a long of 54 yds.
Suisham was 23-31 with a long of 51 yds.

JShare86
02-20-2012, 07:57 PM
A real good friend of mine is a free agent with a monster leg he was in San Fran last year his name is Fabrizio Scaccia look him up hopefully we bring him in

SteelDad
02-20-2012, 07:58 PM
My feeling is the first 4-5 picks will determine if we draft a PK or not. Either way we have to upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

RIVERS OF STEEL
02-20-2012, 09:41 PM
No skimping on this one front office. No need for another heart attack ending to all the games. FA

cmerrifield
02-20-2012, 10:56 PM
We cannot afford a FA kicker, just draft one and maybe sign a undrafted rookie as well or bring Waters back. I would be happy if they brought three kickers into camp, at least the first part of camp.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2012, 11:59 PM
I would hope they learned their lesson with "just getting by" with Suisham. If you want a decent kicker at a cheap price then you better hit the draft board. The benefit of grabbing an older veteran is that they already have the experience of kicking in pressure situations, which shouldn't be overlooked.

Mc_Muffin
02-21-2012, 12:10 PM
What I didnt really get is why they cut jeff reed in the first place. In my defense I have to say, that the 2010 season was the first one I really watched, so I gotta say, that I didnt really know much about the life in the NFL back then (as a matter of fact I didnt know, that you could just cut somebody midway through the season)...

Anyhow I mean sure Reed had kinda a bad season and he missed a couple of FG's (exspecially the like 20 yrd chip shot in New England or New Orleans hurt) but did he really play that bad? I mean its not like Suisham kicks that much better does he? And as far as I know Suisham gets a whole lot of money for a Kicker or am I wrong?

Oh and btw what exactly is does PK and P stand for (I suppose that P = Punter, but just to make sure)

wyn50
02-22-2012, 04:00 AM
Reed was getting out of hand with his wild party life. Un-steeler behavior gets tired very fast espessially when you don't play well. He was missing too many easy kicks too.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2012, 07:08 PM
What I didnt really get is why they cut jeff reed in the first place. In my defense I have to say, that the 2010 season was the first one I really watched, so I gotta say, that I didnt really know much about the life in the NFL back then (as a matter of fact I didnt know, that you could just cut somebody midway through the season)...

Anyhow I mean sure Reed had kinda a bad season and he missed a couple of FG's (exspecially the like 20 yrd chip shot in New England or New Orleans hurt) but did he really play that bad? I mean its not like Suisham kicks that much better does he? And as far as I know Suisham gets a whole lot of money for a Kicker or am I wrong?

Oh and btw what exactly is does PK and P stand for (I suppose that P = Punter, but just to make sure)

P = Punter
PK = Place Kicker

Like Wyn mentioned, Jeff Reed was becoming a distraction off the field and his performance on the field was inconsistent at best. He went public complaining about his contract which is never a good thing to do if you're a Steeler. He had to towel dispenser incident and another run in with the law.

It was just time for him to go but while he was here he was always a fan favorite.

RIVERS OF STEEL
02-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Beatin up towel dispensers will do it every time.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Switching gears a bit here to Punters. They did just tender Jeremy Kapinos so he figures to be in the mix come training camp but there will be some nice Punters available late too.

Shaun Powell, P, Florida State - 6-7th round or UDFA

Bryan Anger, P, California - 7th round or UDFA

Kyle Martens, P, Rice - 7th round or UDFA

Real Deal Steel
02-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Barth would be my choice. You can't put a price on a reliable field goal kicker. Especially in those close games with the Ravens.