PDA

View Full Version : Still worried about Polamalu for next year?

CowherPower
02-19-2012, 02:45 AM
I've been reading these forums for quite a while now and it seems like many, and not just here, were not sold on Polamalu getting that extension last season. With all his injuries I admit I was questioning his durability a bit too. I think he was able to get back on track last season and prove he's still able to get it done though. The stats show that he had 91 tackles in 2011, that's the 2nd most ever since he was drafted by the team.

http://www.nfl.com/player/troypolamalu/2505621/profile

There are questions about cornerback, middle linebacker, and NT for next season but I think for the time being I'm pretty content with Clark and Polamalu back there. Neither is a spring chicken but both have a few years left in them that the team can afford to look elsewhere in this draft.

jnes1216
02-19-2012, 02:54 AM
I am not worried at all about Polamalu. I would like to see a replacement drafted in the next year or two, but for Troy's play on the field I have no issues. He will make mistakes, and he will miss tackles from time to time but overall the guy plays with a passion and with one goal: three and out.

Nolrog
02-19-2012, 07:29 AM
I've been reading these forums for quite a while now and it seems like many, and not just here, were not sold on Polamalu getting that extension last season.

Really? I don't recall ever reading that even once until now.

LatrobePA
02-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Yea I haven't seen anything out here about this..

BlitzburghRockCity
02-19-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm content with Polamalu as well, his training methods may not be the most orthodox but it's hard to argue with his success. in 2010 he was healthy most of the way but near the end of the season you could tell he wasn't quite the same. This year he was able to stay on the field every week, even coming back after that big head shot in the KC game. I have no problems saying he'll finish out his current deal and be playing at a high level.

LevonKirkland99
02-19-2012, 01:58 PM
It's funny how some Steeler fans think Troy is getting old...etc. He played with lots of passion in 2011. Troy will be fine, just fix the Offensives line mess!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-21-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing Troy this year. After coming off a pretty good season, where many seemed to think he wasn't that great (media experts of course), I'm anxious to see him get after it next year. We don't have many more years yet to watch a guy like him so enjoy them all!

Real Deal Steel
02-21-2012, 01:32 PM
I think the word "concerned" is a little extreme for me. What I'd like to see from him going forward is more smarter, consistant play from him. Being the veteran that he is, I think it's time he exibits better conditioning and what I"d really like to see from him is an even better understanding of defense in pass coverage going forward. If you want to know what I mean, go and focus in soley on Troy in the Denver game. Just watch him and see what I mean.

Goodfrom55
02-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Neither is the best cover safety in the NFL, but they play very well together. Would like to see more informed decisions and less "guessing by Troy", but overall, wouldn't trade him for any other safety in the NFL.

Real Deal Steel
02-21-2012, 02:25 PM
But if there is a safety prospect in the 4th round, I wouldn't pass on the prospect either. We need some depth back there. We learned that the hard way last year.

LatrobePA
02-21-2012, 03:54 PM
IMO Troy is one good knock in the head away from retirement, I hope he plays just a tad smarter...

Nolrog
02-21-2012, 04:04 PM
IMO Troy is one good knock in the head away from retirement, I hope he plays just a tad smarter...

That is a legitimate concern. As I said last year, he needs to dial it back a bit. Play 100 % and lead with the shoulder not the head. This is a very different D when he's on the field.

LevonKirkland99
02-24-2012, 10:24 PM

He is the best safety you will ever see in the :Black & Gold uniform.