PDA

View Full Version : Why all this "no confidence" in Redman?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-18-2012, 07:41 PM
I keep seeing on twitter and reading on the web about how everybody says the Steelers need to draft another RB because Mendenhall won't be ready for 2012. People say he can't carry the load, that Rashard is so much better.

Sorry but I just don't see that logic at all. You can't say that Redman can't do the job without giving him the chance. He's never had the chance to be the feature back for a prolonged period of time. When they've called upon him he's usually delivered.

"If Redman was able to do it, Tomlin would have had him as the starter". Wrong again, the Steelers always hang on to established veterans giving them the benefit of the doubt rather than sticking in a younger upstart player. Just because Rashard was the starter doesn't mean Redman wasn't capable of doing so, he just didn't get the chance.

the answer to the Steelers backfield is already on their roster. Spending anything higher than a 5th round pick on a backup RB is foolish this year, there are too many other needs. Give Redman a chance and let Dwyer back him up. Bring back Moore if you want for insurance and have Clay and Batch in reserve.

Real Deal Steel
02-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Because Redman is a limited RB at best. He doesn't have the extra gear of Dwyer or Mendenhall and he doesn't have the wiggle that both have either. He's just an "ok" type of runningback.

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-18-2012, 07:57 PM
^ Dwyer is not that good

BlitzburghRockCity
02-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Dwyer is not that good because we haven't seen anything out of him but a couple of games, it doesn't mean he can't be good. Maybe he's not the second coming of Franco Harris and maybe Redman isn't either but I'm not sold that neither can't be effective.

Until Redman proves to me in the regular season that he can't be effective I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and support him. No he doesn't have breakaway speed but I'll take 5 yds a carry every time as opposed to the occasional 20-30 yd. run that Mendy can give you when he breaks free.

Mendenhall is a fine running back, no problem with him really other than the dancing before he hits the hole. I would rather them not spend a draft pick on a back when you have several on the roster already.

Axeman
02-18-2012, 08:40 PM
give Redman the chance to start and he can't do any worse than Mendenhall.

jpele
02-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Because Redman is a limited RB at best. He doesn't have the extra gear of Dwyer or Mendenhall and he doesn't have the wiggle that both have either. He's just an "ok" type of runningback.

You say Redman is limited even though he has produced at every opportunity and yet on 16 carries you see Dwyer as a much better back. Can you explain to me how you arrived at this conclusion.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-18-2012, 10:57 PM
I want to see Redman take the pounding of a featured RB every week......I like Redman but until he proves he can be the main guy I will have my doubts......The Broncos game proved he deserves a shot to do so and I hope he can.....

BlitzburghRockCity
02-18-2012, 11:57 PM
That will be the ultimate test that will either silence his critics or validate them bro. He's got the size and toughness to make you believe he can handle it if given the chance.

LatrobePA
02-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Redman needs to get in better shape..

BlitzburghRockCity
02-19-2012, 02:32 AM
Redman needs to get in better shape..

I thought of all people you'd be with me man, WTH! LOL.

I've seen tweet out that he's ready to go for next season and come training camp he'll be kicking it into high gear.

CowherPower
02-19-2012, 02:41 AM
I think he'll be ready to go next year. He's got a lot riding on this opportunity. If it stays true that Mendenhall starts out on the PUP list then I fully expect Redman to take off like gangbusters and make it very difficult for Tomlin to take him off the field when Rashard returns.

jnes1216
02-19-2012, 03:03 AM
I agree with you BRC, I wouldn't spend anything higher than a 5th rd pick on a RB. Redman usually gains positive yards every time he gets touches. Draft some off. lineman and any jack ace can get five yards a pop. More than Redman, its time for Dwyer to make a mark if he wants a roster spot

Sorry I forgot about LaMichael James from Oregon. Tough one. Damn, if he's available in the 3rd (long shot) I'd prob. pick him up. Please amend my above comments. Two off. lineman and james would be a good 3 rounds for me!!!

Nolrog
02-19-2012, 07:31 AM
I keep seeing on twitter and reading on the web about how everybody says the Steelers need to draft another RB because Mendenhall won't be ready for 2012. People say he can't carry the load, that Rashard is so much better.

Fixing the OL solves this problem and many others. It keeps Ben healthy, it gives him time to throw, it makes the running backs better, it improves our ability to throw deep and to score in the redzone.

connecticutsteel
02-19-2012, 03:52 PM

Sorry but I just don't see that logic at all. You can't say that Redman can't do the job without giving him the chance. He's never had the chance to be the feature back for a prolonged period of time. When they've called upon him he's usually delivered.

"If Redman was able to do it, Tomlin would have had him as the starter". Wrong again, the Steelers always hang on to established veterans giving them the benefit of the doubt rather than sticking in a younger upstart player. Just because Rashard was the starter doesn't mean Redman wasn't capable of doing so, he just didn't get the chance.

the answer to the Steelers backfield is already on their roster. Spending anything higher than a 5th round pick on a backup RB is foolish this year, there are too many other needs. Give Redman a chance and let Dwyer back him up. Bring back Moore if you want for insurance and have Clay and Batch in reserve.

bring back Moore only if he is willing to back up Batch let's face it Moore might not have made it out of camp if Batch didn't go down

connecticutsteel
02-19-2012, 03:53 PM
people don't like redman cuz he's not the sexy pick

Speeed
02-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Keep in mind that the coaching staff sees him regularly in practice and workouts. We see very little of the big picture.

Dwyer is not that good because we haven't seen anything out of him but a couple of games, it doesn't mean he can't be good. Maybe he's not the second coming of Franco Harris and maybe Redman isn't either but I'm not sold that neither can't be effective.

Until Redman proves to me in the regular season that he can't be effective I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and support him. No he doesn't have breakaway speed but I'll take 5 yds a carry every time as opposed to the occasional 20-30 yd. run that Mendy can give you when he breaks free.

Mendenhall is a fine running back, no problem with him really other than the dancing before he hits the hole. I would rather them not spend a draft pick on a back when you have several on the roster already.

Real Deal Steel
02-20-2012, 12:00 AM
You say Redman is limited even though he has produced at every opportunity and yet on 16 carries you see Dwyer as a much better back. Can you explain to me how you arrived at this conclusion.

I have watched Dwyer since college. Anybody who knows football knows that Dwyer has the extra gear and wiggle. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Redman. But Dwyer is the better runningback.

And yes, Dwyer is that good. Go back and see him in college and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'll be the first to say that he didn't come to the first camp in good shape. But a year of sitting on the bench and getting some humble pie strightens up a lot of players attitudes.

You'll see what I'm talking about when camp rolls around.

Real Deal Steel
02-20-2012, 12:01 AM
^ Dwyer is not that good

You'll see come camp time.

Zachintosh66
02-20-2012, 12:26 AM
Redman will be fine, Mendy will start year on the PUP list...

connecticutsteel
02-20-2012, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=Real Deal Steel;486842]I have watched Dwyer since college. Anybody who knows football knows that Dwyer has the extra gear and wiggle. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Redman. But Dwyer is the better runningback.

And yes, Dwyer is that good. Go back and see him in college and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'll be the first to say that he didn't come to the first camp in good shape. But a year of sitting on the bench and getting some humble pie strightens up a lot of players attitudes

that was college this is the pros redman is better simply because he has more experience if dwyer was really good he would be the primary back up

JollyRob68
02-20-2012, 03:59 PM
I have confidence in Redman,Clay & Dwyer. I like Batch but with his injury history I'm not counting on anything. However if he can stay healthy Todd Haley will love him. I'd like to get Isaiah Peads or Lamichael James later in the draft 4th round but I wouldn't mind finding out what Chad Spann can do as a 5'9" bowling ball type guy.
I hope we use a 2-3 back system like the Giants 2 back system. Also I want a Fullback. They say Jamie Mccoy is really a FB not TE.

Real Deal Steel
02-20-2012, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=Real Deal Steel;486842]I have watched Dwyer since college. Anybody who knows football knows that Dwyer has the extra gear and wiggle. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Redman. But Dwyer is the better runningback.

And yes, Dwyer is that good. Go back and see him in college and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'll be the first to say that he didn't come to the first camp in good shape. But a year of sitting on the bench and getting some humble pie strightens up a lot of players attitudes

that was college this is the pros redman is better simply because he has more experience if dwyer was really good he would be the primary back up

When the camp battle starts, you'll see Dwyer excel. At worse he will be the primary back-up. But I full expect him to come to camp, be in good shape and show his skills. And as far as the runningback position, college does translate to pros rather well. You'll see.

OldSchool58
02-21-2012, 08:03 AM
I have confidence in Redman,Clay & Dwyer. I like Batch but with his injury history I'm not counting on anything. However if he can stay healthy Todd Haley will love him. I'd like to get Isaiah Peads or Lamichael James later in the draft 4th round but I wouldn't mind finding out what Chad Spann can do as a 5'9" bowling ball type guy.
I hope we use a 2-3 back system like the Giants 2 back system. Also I want a Fullback. They say Jamie Mccoy is really a FB not TE.

All I can say is Amen!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
I really think Dwyer is going to turn some heads this year. He had a rough camp last year but worked hard to turn himself around. He realized in a short period of time how fast things can change.

He's got decent, not great speed, so he's not going to run away from anyone. I honestly don't really care though. How often do back's really break away for a 30-40 yd gain? Not very often so I'll take the 5 yds guaranteed and the 15-20 yd. run here there which Dwyer and Redman certainly both can do.

Goodfrom55
02-21-2012, 06:41 PM
I really think Dwyer is going to turn some heads this year. He had a rough camp last year but worked hard to turn himself around. He realized in a short period of time how fast things can change.

He's got decent, not great speed, so he's not going to run away from anyone. I honestly don't really care though. How often do back's really break away for a 30-40 yd gain? Not very often so I'll take the 5 yds guaranteed and the 15-20 yd. run here there which Dwyer and Redman certainly both can do.

Truth be told with the line being the way it is, whoever does a better job picking up the blitz will likely get the nod to backup Redman or be the 3rd down back.

K Train
02-22-2012, 12:00 PM
redman is a terrible option as a starting RB thats why.

and who said dwyer had a second gear? lol thats not his game at all

Goodfrom55
02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Between Redman and Dwyer, both remind me of Bam Morris - serviceable, but not the long term answer.

coldrolled
02-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Trade Ike and Wallace

Get three #1 round picks

Adams OT and Hightower ILB and Glenn G or Konz C

Ike looked great in Denver.. Not. Plus he catches so well.

JollyRob68
02-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Trade Ike and Wallace

Get three #1 round picks

Adams OT and Hightower ILB and Glenn G or Konz C

Ike looked great in Denver.. Not. Plus he catches so well.
Are you going to trade them to NEW ENGLAND,CINCY OR CLEVE? LMAO. They're the only ones that have two first rounders.

JollyRob68
02-22-2012, 03:39 PM
redman is a terrible option as a starting RB thats why.

and who said dwyer had a second gear? lol thats not his game at all

K train, What do you think of Chad Spann? and do you think the combo of Redman,Dwyer,Clay,Batch & Spann is enough to ground and pound? If not then when would you select a RB? Chad Spann will remind people of KC's Dexter McCluster out of the backfield & RAy Rice on running plays.

coldrolled
02-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Are you going to trade them to NEW ENGLAND,CINCY OR CLEVE? LMAO. They're the only ones that have two first rounders.

A couple top #2 rounders are just as good as low round #1

JollyRob68
02-22-2012, 04:08 PM
A couple top #2 rounders are just as good as low round #1

I agree and that would be my wish. Either Swap first and grab the two 2nds. I'd rather The Steelers be proactive while at The Combine and try to trade Wallace if they're not going to cut Vets to save money to pay him. Cutting old vets would save $25 mil.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2012, 09:48 AM
In Redman's first year he was terrible in blitz pickup but last year when he was in the game you could see a serious improvement in that area.

Memo is one of the best in the business at picking up the blitzers, even hugh defensive lineman that break free.

No doubt if you can't pass block on the fly you won't make it as a 3rd down back.

steelcitysfinestXL
02-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Well, what other options do they have? I like Redman and all, but Im not gonna sit here and say i have total faith in Redman as a primary back. For the simple fact he has started 2 games in the NFL! One game he had 49 yards on 15 carries. The other he had 121 yards on 17 carries. He, like any other back, is only gonna go as far as the oline takes him. The thing you all love about Redman is that: "he runs hard" "he moves the pile"... sure he does, sometimes. Lets not mistake him for Jerome, Redman gets stopped in the backfield as much as anyone else, he's a pile mover when he reaches the secondary! And what good is running hard if you run into the back of you OL'men at the line of scrimmage. I like a back with the ability and vision to make a jump-cut when he needs to and reverse fields to make something out of nothing (see: Mendenhall)

Goodfrom55
02-23-2012, 03:53 PM
I know most people are down on Mendy, but I think the Steelers are going to miss him dearly in 2012 until he is 100% (my guess by week 8 or later).

steelcitysfinestXL
02-23-2012, 04:05 PM
I know most people are down on Mendy, but I think the Steelers are going to miss him dearly in 2012 until he is 100% (my guess by week 8 or later).

+1 People in Pittsburgh act like he's the second coming of Willie Parker! I know im gonna miss him unless Tod Haley can figure out a way to produce a more effective running game with the line we have.

Goodfrom55
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Pick your poison. How many times has Mendy jump cut through a hole to get 11 yards when Redman would have been stopped for 2 or 3? If Mendy's carries weren't reduced this season and he had the same amount as he did in 2010, he would have had over 1300 yards rushing this season. He's gonna be missed, but I don't believe the Steelers need to go outside the organization to find a RB. They will hopefully employ a RB by commitee mindset where it is Redman and/or Clay / Batch.