PDA

View Full Version : credibility in reporting the Steelers

cmerrifield
02-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Maybe I am the only one this bothers, but it seems the credibility in reporting has taken a nose dive the last few years. Here are my examples, Bouchette said Brown was not part of the pick in the McFadden and Holmes ordeal, and yes he was.

LaCanfora, where do I start? Hampton is getting traded, Essex will be our starting LT, Ben is getting traded, Ward is done, etc. That has been the last 4 seasons.

Clayton, We are waiting for Kirby for OC

There was a writer for NFL.com who said Ward caught a TD pass to seal the deal last year against the Ravens in AFC championship, and he didnt. Mendenhall ran it in after the Ward catch.

This doesnt even mention the non Steeler issues, like Paterno is dead before he was etc. I just feel like these guys only cover the NFL and Bouchette only covers the Steelers. These are just a few examples, but does this annoy anyone else? It makes me want to quit reading stuff online about the Steelers.

Raleigh Steel
02-17-2012, 02:21 PM
dude, it's the media...sports media, news media, local media...doesn't matter. they aren't there to tell the facts, they are there to tell a story. they are like weathermen, they don't have to get it right because nobody calls them on it. as long as they sell papers, magazines, air time, basically ad revenue...that's all that matters.

the 24 hour news cycle has killed journalism!

chisteeler
02-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Today's media reminds me of a quote from Full Metal Jacket when the Sarg was giving them their orders...

4212. Basic Military Journalism. You gotta be shittin' me, Joker. You think you're Mickey Spillane? You think you're some kind of a f*#*in' writer?

LatrobePA
02-17-2012, 03:51 PM
yawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnn

The media bores me!

OldSchool58
02-17-2012, 03:54 PM
I always though "media" was the reporting of factual information. That's not what we have today. Today it's not media, but entertainment. You can get it in many shades, colors, flavors, slants, and degrees of bullsh*t, but it still ain't media......it's entertainment.

connecticutsteel
02-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Today's media reminds me of a quote from Full Metal Jacket when the Sarg was giving them their orders...

4212. Basic Military Journalism. You gotta be shittin' me, Joker. You think you're Mickey Spillane? You think you're some kind of a f*#*in' writer?
NO I MEAN SO CLEAN THAT THE VIRGIN MARY HERSELF WHOULD BE PROUD TO GO IN AND TAKE A DUMP

BlitzburghRockCity
02-17-2012, 04:09 PM
I think the reporting has taken a serious nose dive too. You would think with the onset of Twitter and Facebook that things would be more accurate than ever but not really. Rumors start on the social media and then just take off.

You hope the guys who are supposed to have the insider access can get the real scoop but that's been questionable especially this year too.

Everybody is trying to outdo the other and it seems they are more willing to take a chance on a story so they can be the first. Then if it does come through they are quick to point out repeatedly how they were the first.

Honestly this year, Jim Wexell has been probably the most accurate overall even with his media storm onslaught against his counterparts..LOL.

He's straight and to the point, doesn't beat around the bush and has solid knowledge of the salary cap.

Cricker24
02-17-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't remember the exact details, but a couple years ago when Notre Dame was looking for a new head coach, some student that worked at ND, I think in the admissions office but I'm not positive, emailed some reporter that he had heard Notre Dame was going to hire Wisconsin's head coach, Bret Bielema, even though this was completely made up. The reporter never verified who the guy that sent the email was and the next thing you know, the reporter tweeted that a source of his has informed him that Bielema would be the next head coach of Notre Dame and it just spread like wildfire from there with even ESPN reporting this as "Breaking News." Obviously none of this was true and Brian Kelly was hired. This is just an example of how bad reporting has gotten.

Chris :tt02:

MattyVfromCT
02-17-2012, 08:25 PM
must be nice to have a job where you can **** up constantly and NEVER be in danger of losing it. i picked the wrong god damn field.........

SteelDad
02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
must be nice to have a job where you can **** up constantly and NEVER be in danger of losing it. i picked the wrong god damn field.........

I believe weatherman falls into this category as well.:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-17-2012, 10:59 PM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Weathermen and Traffic reporters have the best jobs out there, no accountability, just be entertaining!! I always thought the weathermen had the best jobs until I heard the local traffic reporte say live on the air" the Parkways are in good shape ,no problems there ,just stay off the ramps they are dangerous" :banghead: I was like he didn't just say that ???

Real Deal Steel
02-17-2012, 11:16 PM
The way the media reports today shows that they just do a lot of guessing. The same as most posters to the website.

JollyRob68
02-17-2012, 11:24 PM
It seems as though all aspects of media & tv reporting have become UNPROFESSIONAL. Back in the day when people sat around waiting to be interviewed or during a commercial the mic was off. Now they keep it on to catch you saying something you wouldn't publicly but would in private. I understand when they ask John Clayton for his opinion or speculation but I have to agree Jason LaConfora jumps the gun. Unless he's doing exactly what his source( front office/head coaches, Goddell) tell him to report.

DBR96A
02-18-2012, 08:26 AM

Except meteorology is already an imperfect science. Besides, you should pay more attention to the National Weather Service anyway. Nobody who works for them majored in Broadcast Journalism. If you doubt their credibility, then I present to you their convective outlook for April 27, 2011...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Maps/Convectiveoutlook-CategoricalApril2720112.png

...and the storm reports for that day:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Maps/StormreportsApril2720112.png

So, were they right, or were they damn right?

DBR96A
02-18-2012, 08:40 AM
As for reporting the Steelers, the national media lost all credibility with me six years ago when they implied that the Steelers didn't deserve to win Super Bowl XL. I've been gradually tuning them out since. Besides, all the solid reporting and in-depth analysis I've seen has come from the local media in Pittsburgh. Sadly, even that's taken a major hit so far this off-season, with everybody but Jim Wexell and Joe Starkey embarrassing themselves at some point. In spite of all this, however, I still consider them more trustworthy than ESPN.

Speaking of zero credibility, just wait until the Pennsylvania primary in April, when cable news political pundits destroy what little they have left by making blanket statements about a state of 12.7 million people that haven't been true in 20 years, if they've ever even been true at all. We might even hear that horseshit James Carville analysis from 1992, as if nothing's changed since ****ing 1992. And yet the media will imply that Pennsylvanians are the "ignorant" ones.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Dale Lolley of the Observer Reporter (http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Sports/) is a good one to follow. Just an FYI, Dale Lolley @ (https://twitter.com/#!/dlolleyor)dlolleyor (https://twitter.com/#!/dlolleyor)