PDA

View Full Version : Colon won't take a pay cut according to LaCanfora

BlitzburghRockCity
02-17-2012, 11:24 AM
I wanted to post this up yesterday evening but I got sidetracked working on the site..my apologies..

Willie Colon (http://www.nfl.com/players/williecolon/profile?id=COL747402) ($4.5 million base) is not willing to take a pay cut to stay in Pittsburgh following another injury-marred season, and at his age - says Jason LaCanfora of NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82704bb5/article/ward-newman-and-cooley-highlight-cap-casualty-season?module=HP11_cp)

I would say take this for what it's worth right now, as LaCanfora has been known to jump the gun at time as we've seen recently. The Steelers most likely wouldn't be asking him to take a pay cut anyways, but rather a restructure if they plan on keeping him around. If I'm Colon I wouldn't take the paycut because I just signed that $29 million dollar deal last year and the Steelers won't save hardly anything by releasing him and trying to bring him back.

jpele
02-17-2012, 11:29 AM
As you said we shouldn't jump the gun but I see no reason not to cut him. At his best he was only average and for the past two years we've been paying him to sit in a hot tub.

Nolrog
02-17-2012, 11:42 AM
According to the chart on the main page, the savings would only be about 900K if he's cut. The rest of his salary would be dead money. For such a small savings, it makes no sense to cut him.

Typically, though, they don't reduce players salary. They would do things like convert salary to bonus so the impact could be spread out. So if they did something with him, he'd break even.

Although, I don't really appreciate the fact that a guy who has earned many millions for doing very little the last 2 years would come out and say such a thing.

K Train
02-17-2012, 11:47 AM
hes an above average RT when healthy and he shouldnt take a paycut...for a 5th round pick he just got paid for the first time in his career last year, if tell them to **** off if they asked me to take less money.

hopefully he stays healthy and gets a shot at guard

LatrobePA
02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
When's the last time he put a whole year in at a mid to high level? IMO he's not worth that kind of money for part time work!!

cmerrifield
02-17-2012, 01:19 PM
I think he deserves one more year and we wont save anything by cutting him, but this is LaCanfora, so who knows if its true.

Nolrog
02-17-2012, 01:44 PM
When's the last time he put a whole year in at a mid to high level? IMO he's not worth that kind of money for part time work!!

Really we're talking 900K, which would be the savings if cut (and ~1.5 if he's restructured). The other money is dead (or will impact the cap next year and beyond.) For such a small savings, it's not worth cutting him. I'm hopeful that he'll be healthy, because he'd be an upgrade on the line.

JollyRob68
02-17-2012, 02:19 PM
I cant blame anyone who got hurt last year with no offseason conditioning program. Heres hoping he stays health and we pick up a late RTO in the draft rds 5-7.I hope we pick up 1 free agent stop gap guard Evan Mathis and Draft one in the first 3 rounds. I like Amini Silatolu in the late 2nd to 3rd round If we dont get a Cordy Glenn 1st or Kelechi Osemele in the 2nd

OldSchool58
02-17-2012, 03:05 PM
900K would buy us a kicker and fullback.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-17-2012, 04:01 PM
I agree, you could probably get both for about that combined salary per year but then you give up an offensive line that was decent when he was healthy.

I personally I'm tired of waiting for him to get back to pre injury form but they've invested a lot of money into him recently.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Colon was a former 4th round pick....Above average RT?......That is debatable and he is coming off back to back season ending injuries.......He needs to take a pay cut.......The Steelers were stupid to resign his sorry *** anyway......Book it he goes down with injury again....lol

SteelDad
02-17-2012, 09:36 PM
'Colon is a nice tackle when healthy' is the problem.... A torn achilles and a torn biceps do not bode well. He should be more than willing to take a cut. Regardless of why, if you cant stay on the field you shouldnt be paid as such.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

BlitzburghRockCity
02-17-2012, 10:13 PM
I was talking to Jim Wexell on twitter a little bit today about Colon, "nobody should feel good about him being healthy next year, Tackle must be a priority in the draft".

Well said Marc, if you've got a busted up wheel and 1 good arm then things aren't looking good as an offensive lineman..LOL. I would think though he's probably going to still be around, they really can't justify cutting him to save money so if he goes it'll be because he can't play any longer.

JollyRob68
02-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Perhaps Chicago still wants him or Philly? I'm all for using Him,Chris K and Larry Foote for trade bait during the draft. Or Just release Foote NOW.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-18-2012, 03:15 PM
They won't be able to trade him, not with that contract and 2 years on IR. If they release him they're just going to have to eat that money. That's why I'm thinking he is still on the roster in 2012 and will compete as a starter but whether he makes it or not, that's a different story.

JollyRob68
02-18-2012, 11:32 PM
I read that also. I think a good OTA and he'll be fine but i'll have a RT ready.

connecticutsteel
02-22-2012, 10:37 AM
A restructure isn't a pay cut but Lacanfora is wrong again