PDA

View Full Version : Can the Steelers keep Brown, Wallace, and Sanders together?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Wallace is a restricted free agent this year.
Brown and Sanders will be restricted after the 2012 season.

It's unlikely the team can get either Brown or Sanders signed before this offseason is over and you won't be able to franchise them both next year. Brownwill be able to command more than Sanders most likely so you have to wonder if Sanders might be the one that wants to go elsewhere to get more playing time and maybe more money.

connecticutsteel
02-15-2012, 11:25 PM
If the Steelers win this season they will want to stay plus if the team wants to keep them they will find away

coldrolled
02-15-2012, 11:27 PM
is this where you have to decide if either brown or wallace is the true ace for the decade and trade the other for two top picks. before they crash and burn?? or do you sign both and sign sanders and never look back.

Nolrog
02-16-2012, 06:28 AM
It's unlikely that they'll be able to keep all 3. That would be too many dollars tied up into that position. I expect to see another WR drafted in the 4th-ish round this year.

OldSchool58
02-16-2012, 07:13 AM
It's unlikely that they'll be able to keep all 3. That would be too many dollars tied up into that position. I expect to see another WR drafted in the 4th-ish round this year.

I'm afraid you're right. My opinions on this years draft don't seem to be popular on this site, but I believe we need to focus this draft on O-linemen, and replacements on our old, slow, D. Let's fix the big problems first, then worry about the rest later.

coldrolled
02-16-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm afraid you're right. My opinions on this years draft don't seem to be popular on this site, but I believe we need to focus this draft on O-linemen, and replacements on our old, slow, D. Let's fix the big problems first, then worry about the rest later.

The pats always seem to get 1st round picks for semi-old players..

They play in the super bowl and have 2 1sts and a couple 2nds. you cant get old like that. especially when you pick like that every year almost.

This would be a year where the pats would trade Ike Taylor for a 1st rounder and blame the cap for the trade reason..

K Train
02-16-2012, 09:49 AM
i cant imagine sanders being hard to re-sign, hes done little to nothing

LatrobePA
02-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Sanders, Brown will for sure be back but I have a feeling Wallace won't.. If someone dangled a 1st rounder it would be hard for this team not to take it..

BlitzburghRockCity
02-16-2012, 10:45 AM
but I believe we need to focus this draft on O-linemen, and replacements on our old, slow, D. Let's fix the big problems first, then worry about the rest later.

I would certainly agree with that. You can't address every issue every year so you fix the most glaring first and work your way down. Guard is a glaring issue, as is NT right now, and middle linebacker opposite Timmons. If they were to spend their first 3 picks on those positions I'd be happy as all get out.

tat2
02-16-2012, 02:33 PM
find a way to keep wallace and brown. sanders is a fragile special teamer/#4 reciever at best

Nolrog
02-16-2012, 06:30 PM
I think it's unlikely they'll keep all 3. Unfortuntaely, all 3 come up for contracts within a short timeframe, which is expensive. I think they'll work to resign Wallace to a long term deal and will get it done unless someone blows him out of the water (which is possible as well.) They should also look to get Brown signed ASAP as well, so we don't have to worry about him next year. I expect another WR in the draft, 4th-ish round to compliment them (maybe a big tall guy or another speed guy if we lose Wallace.)

Black@Gold Forever32
02-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Right now Sanders wouldn't command to much money to resign...........Mike Wallace isn't going anywhere and will get his new deal......I would expect the Steelers to resign Antonio Brown to when the time comes.......

BlitzburghRockCity
02-17-2012, 08:43 AM
I would be midly surprisedif they let Wallace leave, signing him is there only high priced priority this year. They'll find a way to get it done if they feel he's worth it. I would also think that getting Brown signed will be a priority next year but Sanders could be the one that maybe walks away. Not because of the money so much but that he'll want more playing time.

mcfly06
02-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Well sportscenter just talked about Wallace, and it dont look good for us. Because basically were f****** broke!! They said if we tag wallace another team can make a deal and sign him, and have a roster bonus where the steelers would have to pay and it would go against our cap. So i see Wallace going to Bengals,Ravens,49ers, Saints espically saints if they lose Colston. Bengals and Ravens because they have the money and why wouldnt they want to F*** over a rival that you play twice. Only way we keep him is if ben re-does his deal, which he should do. But would someone like to explain to me how were always ****ing broke??!!! it pisses me off, that we can never do anything because for some reason we never have any money. and a team like bengals have money??!! dont make sence

BlitzburghRockCity
02-21-2012, 07:46 AM
I'll never give up hope that the Steelers can work out a deal to keep the player they want but it's not looking all that promising right now. Considering the amount of players they'd have to dump to free up the money to sign Wallace to a franchise tag, how much is he really worth? Granted the players you get rid of aren't exactly key cogs in your Sunday afternoon machine other than Hampton & Farrior. Kemoeatu, Aaron Smith wouldn't be huge losses.

JensK
02-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Honestly, I don't understand why teams would pay that much for him. Sure, he is very very fast but that is about it. He is not a great route-runner, he is not very tough or stout build. He is not the type of player who'll go up after the ball in double-coverage and come down with it. If a team want to give up a first round pick for him, I would probably take it without too much hesitation.

coldrolled
02-21-2012, 09:59 AM
But would someone like to explain to me how were always ****ing broke??!!! it pisses me off, that we can never do anything because for some reason we never have any money. and a team like bengals have money??!! dont make sence

i have asked the same question.. Cinci Signing 1st rounders in the top ten for 6 years at least, signing free agents, plus there own players.. how does cinci do it. and still has room... how did the eagles do it?

we must have to many old veterans that get paid alot.

Real Deal Steel
02-21-2012, 11:51 AM
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers are willing to let restricted free agent Mike Wallace test the open market.
The Steelers will reportedly place a first-round restricted tender on Wallace and "see what develops." If he "signs a contract and they deem it too high," they will apparently take the first-round compensation instead of matching. Once unthinkable, it's now very possible the Steelers will let their 25-year-old No. 1 receiver walk instead of digging themselves into an even deeper salary-cap hole. Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Feb 21 - 9:52 AM

So there's your answer. The Front Office is looking to get an additional first round pick for Wallace.

coldrolled
02-21-2012, 03:32 PM
they will apparently take the first-round compensation instead of matching. The Front Office is looking to get an additional first round pick for Wallace.

This is getting played up pretty big. Are the steelers playing player poker here... Do they see a limit in the future potential with wallace?

If we get two firsts who else can we trade to free up more cap space and get a third first?

LatrobePA
02-21-2012, 03:41 PM
We're 8mil over now, cut loose some old baggage and we're there. I firmly believe they find a way to keep Wallace..

steelers75
02-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Chances are the salary cap is going to make a big time jump in 2013 when the new TV contracts kick in as well. Something to bear in mind.

JollyRob68
02-21-2012, 03:57 PM
I have a bad feeling were going to keep a lot of older players and then next year the younger players are going to leave for money and an opportunity. We've restructured Colon and are now 5-6 mil to get at the cap. It's being said that The Steelers still think Aaron Smith has something left and they might keep Ward but cutting them saves 6 million. I think the issue really is the Older Senior Coaches. They allow young talent to leave and keep older talent. Based on last years performance I'd Cut Chris K,Ward,Hampton,Farrior and Foote. However I'd understand keeping Chris K & Foote until after the draft. So that they can try and trade them or use them to move up in the draft. Plus they need to wait until June 1st to cut Chris K so they can spread his dead money over 2 years. With OTA's they might change there mind on Chris K but A. Smith,Ward,Farrior and Foote are easy cuts. I'd even injury settle out with Hampton & Mendenhall and tell them to come to camp and get a physical and we'd see about resigning them then.
Sorry everyone but as far as Wallace is concerned I'd trade him this weekend or let him go and take the extra first rounder. I'd rather extend Brown now which would be cheaper and he was our MVP.

DIESELMAN
02-21-2012, 04:34 PM
With the problems we have with the cap, I don't see us keeping Wallace. Not only do we have to get under the cap by another 8 mil for the existing 51 top salaries by March, we also have to have room under the cap for the rookies. Just don't see it happening.....

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Wallace did an interview on Sirius XM today...

Now that the Todd Haley & Ben Roethlisberger soap opera can finally take a back seat to the real news; issues such as how to handle Mike Wallace are now at the forefront. In an interview on SiriusXM today, Wallace spoke about how things are going so far this offseason and his thoughts on remaining in Pittsburgh:

"(Pittsburgh is) where I would like to be, but we all know that it is a business and you have certain things you have to handle," Wallace said. "So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do."

He also commented on the status of ongoing contract talks between his agent and the Steelers:
"Yeah, we are talking, but I don`t know how far they are going to get right now because of the situation," Wallace said. "I know that they are working hard trying to take care of it, but I don`t know. We`ll see."

In listening to the interview I got the sense that Wallace wants to stay in Pittsburgh but he’ll be happy to go elsewhere to get the money he wants to make. You can’t blame him, if you have the chance to sign a $40+ million dollar contract (speculation on that number) you’re going to take it. He’s in the prime of his career having not even fully tapped his potential yet. That will be very enticing for teams who have money to spend and draft picks they are willing to part with. Potential suitors like Cincinnati, Baltimore. Cleveland, and San Francisco could all use a deep, speed, threat like Wallace and all have enough cap room to make a big time offer that the Steelers may find too rich to handle.

This is a developing story that will be ongoing as the weeks go by until free agency starts on March 13th. I still say and will always say, if the Steelers want Wallace bad enough they’ll find a way to keep him. I’m not convinced he’ll be gone until it actually happens. Having said that though and as we’ve talked about before, getting an extra 1st round pick is not exactly the worst thing in the world if you lose Wallace. A lot can be done with that situation and it could be a blessing in disguise.

LatrobePA
02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
He'd be nuts not to jump on big money.. IMO he's fast, so was Willie but once Willie got hurt and was slow he SUCKED..

Same could happen to Mike,.,.

coldrolled
02-22-2012, 02:52 PM
He'd be nuts not to jump on big money.. IMO he's fast, so was Willie but once Willie got hurt and was slow he SUCKED..

Same could happen to Mike,.,.

I have the same feeling on that. One hard crack to his small frame and the #1 pick like hightower looks real good. Or Poe.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-22-2012, 04:18 PM
I say franchise him and hopefully the Bungels sign him and we get their two 1st round picks...

Real Deal Steel
02-22-2012, 05:01 PM
No doubt the Bengals would love to add Wallace on the other side of Green. But they need a Runningback too because Benson was starting to look banged up from the his style of running.

Axeman
02-22-2012, 06:00 PM
If Mike signs elsewhere I hope it's San Fran. because I would HATE to see the Steelers have to play against him TWICE in 1 season if he signs with either the bungals, clowns or ratbirds.