PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger working out early, hopes to enter training camp lighter than ever

BlitzburghRockCity
02-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.nfl.com/players/benroethlisberger/profile?id=ROE750381) is well aware of the old adage that "father time is undefeated," and the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) quarterback has adjusted his offseason workout regiment to reflect his 30th birthday next month.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12046/1210221-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1mSwx0Dzx) that Roethlisberger began to workout at the Steelers' facility last week, only a few days after he returned to Pittsburgh from a trip to the Pro Bowl in Hawaii.
"That's why I'm working out already," Roethlisberger told the newspaper, commenting on his upcoming milestone.

Roethlisberger said he met with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin when he got back in town, and Roethlisberger's playing future was one of the topics that came up in conversation.

"When I talked to Mike, I said I don't know how much longer I have to play, no one does; it could be two years, three years, it could be eight years. Who knows?" Roethlisberger said. "I'm hoping that I'm just starting in my prime. I've already been working out with (Garrett Giemont), our strength coach, already. I've never worked out this early. It's not like high-intensity, out killing myself, but I'm working out, I want to come to camp lighter than I've ever come, in better shape, because as you get to a certain point, a certain age in this football thing, your body doesn't recover like it used to."

Roethlisberger's training methods might not be the only thing that gets tweaked this offseason, as the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported Wednesday that Roethlisberger's agent said his client would be open to restructuring his contract (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d826fcc3e) to help out the Steelers' salary-cap situation. Roethlisberger is in the middle of an eight-year, $102 million contract he signed in 2008.

coldrolled
02-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Shed some pounds.... Get a little more mobile... he will be ready for haley's new game plan.

LatrobePA
02-15-2012, 12:24 PM
I like this....

tat2
02-15-2012, 12:29 PM
I like this....

me too, this is great news. i especially like the part about restructuring his contract!

SteelCityKid5
02-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Is Ben maturing? Serious question. He didn't bitch that much about Arians this year. He's been more progressive. Hes working out now, when before he'd show up to camp looking like a balloon. To me, he seems more approachable to the media, especially in the offseason. We usually dont hear from Ben in the offseason. We've heard from him numerous times not even a month out. To me, he seems different and I like it so far. I do believe he and Haley are going to work well together. The media took Bens actions and words out of context. I think Ben has been making all the right moves. (minus the "I've heard good and bad things about Haley")

OldSchool58
02-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Almost sounds like with all the big changes going on right now he's finally had an attitude change. It's sure lookin' like Ben is going from "ME" to "WE" and that will make a lot of difference this season.

Raleigh Steel
02-15-2012, 12:50 PM
wait til he see how much better he will be, his weapons will be, the offense will be....

and wait til he gets thrown into that elite status again...he's kind of dropped out of that conversation with the rise of rodgers and brees, but he can be put back in there.

if this offense, and i believe it will under haley, does what it is capable of doing, then we can have a little fall off in our defense and put more on our offense.

we still need to upgrade the o-line, but a good OC can game plan to it's strengths and away from it's weaknesses...something BA couldn't do.

damn, i'm fired up for the season to start now. can't wait for the draft...can't wait for OTA's...can't wait for training camp. i believe this could be a really exciting year!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-15-2012, 01:12 PM
wait til he see how much better he will be, his weapons will be, the offense will be....

and wait til he gets thrown into that elite status again...he's kind of dropped out of that conversation with the rise of rodgers and brees, but he can be put back in there.

if this offense, and i believe it will under haley, does what it is capable of doing, then we can have a little fall off in our defense and put more on our offense.

Good point, while people still say Ben is one of the best QB's in the league he's not mentioned right off the bat when you talk about who's the best of the best. I would hope that's a motivating factor for him, to come back stronger than ever. I don't mean necessarily that Ben is worried about what other people think of him, he' said many times in the past he just wants to win and let the rest take care of itself.

Even if he had a big year he's seemed to attract more doubters now that Arians is gone. If that's the case then why not get into the gym early and not have to rush to be in shape come training camp.

xBlitzBurghx
02-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Holy sh*t. Ben working out and not drinking at bars?? I can appreciate that! That's what he should have been doing all along.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Black@Gold Forever32
02-15-2012, 04:55 PM
But wait Ben is an ******* and doesn't take his craft serious....He hasn't grown as a QB and just and over-rated piece of trash.....Now everybody loves him.....lol you can tell its the off-season........

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-15-2012, 05:27 PM
But wait Ben is an ******* and doesn't take his craft serious....He hasn't grown as a QB and just and over-rated piece of trash.....Now everybody loves him.....lol you can tell its the off-season........ lol yup:plus1:

connecticutsteel
02-15-2012, 05:33 PM
this is good but ben knows that haley has no alliance to him and they signed 2 faster guys in Jerrod Johnson and the other dude from the Ravens

Real Deal Steel
02-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Shedding pounds isn't the problem. It's getting the ball out of his hands. And that is the OC establishing a passing game with more timing passes and having a real running game again. Has nothing to do with Ben shedding pounds. His weight was good enough last year.

Establishing offensive balance and a more syncronized passing game will be the keys this coming season.

coldrolled
02-15-2012, 08:01 PM
but a good OC can game plan to it's strengths and away from it's weaknesses...something BA couldn't do.

!

Haley can do with the offense what DL does with our defense, make average DB's and old LB's look good.

It will be a refreshing year this year.

Steelersfan
02-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Holy sh*t. Ben working out and not drinking at bars?? I can appreciate that! That's what he should have been doing all along.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

What's wrong with drinking at the bar????.........:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-16-2012, 10:46 AM
If you listen to that interview with Ben, he's not interested in getting rid of the ball quicker..he says it's fun to play his style of football.

Maybe instead of shedding weight he should be adding some so he's even more difficult to bring down..LOL

Real Deal Steel
02-16-2012, 02:44 PM
If you listen to that interview with Ben, he's not interested in getting rid of the ball quicker..he says it's fun to play his style of football.

Maybe instead of shedding weight he should be adding some so he's even more difficult to bring down..LOL

Well, Ben is a freakin idiot then. Becuase his style of play is going to shorten his career. A good coach and OC needs to sit down with him and show him the long term effects of "his style" of football. All the more reason for Haley to come in here and put in a real passing game and how a balanced offense really looks.

JoeSteelerFan
02-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Rest assured, if Arians was still around .... Ben would be on the lake fishing and havnig a few brews on the golf course.

THIS ... is why Airans needed to go. Everyone was far to cozy and comfortable and not willing to put the necessary work in.

Real Deal Steel
02-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Rest assured, if Arians was still around .... Ben would be on the lake fishing and havnig a few brews on the golf course.

THIS ... is why Airans needed to go. Everyone was far to cozy and comfortable and not willing to put the necessary work in.

Exactly.

coldrolled
02-17-2012, 06:50 AM

He was a stubborn crappy OC. Thats why he is gone.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-17-2012, 11:17 AM
"If it does stay the same or if we need to tweak little things, I've already talked to the receivers; we're going to get together this offseason and do some stuff -- whether it's new stuff or old stuff, because we felt we were this close."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12046/1210221-66.stm#ixzz1melfZtpB

Sounds like he's still lobbying to not change the offense under Haley but at least he's preparing for next by working out with the receivers outside of the OTA's and other offseason programs.

Mean Linebacker
02-19-2012, 01:34 PM
I've noticed Ben heading into a camp a bit on the chunky side in recent years so this is good to see now. Not saying he's anything like the Big Snack but you could tell he put on a few pounds in the offseason. He'll have to be careful this year though, now that he's married that home cooking won't help his diet..LOL

Axeman
02-19-2012, 06:01 PM
could this be the work of his new HOT *** wife ???? I tell you what, if I had a wife that looked like that, I would want to stay fit and in shape all the time. the way she looks she prolly wears his *** out in the bedroom.:banana:

jnes1216
02-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Eli winning his second may have something to do with his new found focus.