PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams??!!

mcfly06
02-14-2012, 06:29 PM
With Mario Williams being a free agent this year, should we go after him?to replace smith?? i say yes, do everything we can to get him!!what do yinz think??

JensK
02-14-2012, 06:35 PM
With Mario Williams being a free agent this year, should we go after him?to replace smith?? i say yes, do everything we can to get him!!what do yinz think??

I'm really not attempting to sound like a jackass, but I think we need to accept that we are not going to be even remotely close to being able to sign a player like Mario Williams without cutting half of our key-players. Sure, they've managed to restructure some contracts, but they are still way above the cap room, they have other important players to sign (read: Wallace) plus they have rookies and whatnot.
That said, I would obviously love to get him and yada yada but it is more or less completely impossible at this juncture (I MADE A TOMLIN).

mcfly06
02-14-2012, 06:49 PM
i get that, wallace should be signed first i dont want to lose him. But i want williams lol, hed be perfect replacement for smith and brent. i dont know maybe im different because if i was him id go somewhere that i knew would be in the playoffs every year and a chance at a super bowl every year so id take less money... But he will get over paid big time and go to a team like washington and suck

JensK
02-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Even if he was to take a paycut of some sort he would still be out of reach. It is rather late here so I won't find any statistics tonight, but he would most likely demand top-5 player-like money. Lets say that is roughly 10mil a year. Then lets say he'd take some discount to win a shiny new ring in Pittsburgh. He'd still demand something like 5-6mil a year with a huge huge signing bonus. Obviously he would dominate the world as DE in our system (imo at least), but it would make it impossible to sign anyone else for a long while.

Nolrog
02-14-2012, 07:05 PM

With what money?

LatrobePA
02-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Come on man, not even close, no way in hell could they even come close to being able to afford him!

NYCsteelersfan
02-14-2012, 07:46 PM
I'll take 2 average offensive linemen before I take Mario Williams. Our defense was #1 in points allowed. I'm sick of relying on defense to win games in a league where every other quarterback has 5 comfortable seconds to throw the ball to receivers who can't be touched after 5 yards.

mcfly06
02-14-2012, 09:47 PM
I just brought it up because i saw it on NFL live today thats all, i would love to have him but we know we wont get him,even if we had the money we wouldnt. IDK i guess im getting tired of doing everything "old school" or whatever we call it. I want us to sign that top free agent, not veterans that are like in thier 30's. We need to get younger at like dline,linebacker and stuff.. That's all just wanted to throw it out there.LOL

Lunchbucket
02-14-2012, 10:20 PM
With what money?

Ditto;curious how to pay the man.

xBlitzBurghx
02-15-2012, 12:00 AM
Ill throw in my paycheck

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Big T
02-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Mario Williams is in no way a "perfect" replacement for Aaron smith or Brett. Mario Williams is not a 5-tech. If Mario Williams was going to come to Pittsburgh (never going to happen), he'd be an outside linebacker. He was a 4-3 end until wade Phillips changed the D to a 3-4 and Mario was forced to move to OLB. He's a pass rusher, not a run stopper.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-15-2012, 12:29 AM
I'd take Mario Williams in a hot second at OLB. He was becoming a force there before he got hurt and ended his season. Affording him is another story but as far as a pipe dream of having, hell yeah I'd want him.

connecticutsteel
02-15-2012, 10:22 AM
we can't sign william gay right now Mario williams is a waste of thread

Katmandu
02-15-2012, 11:00 AM
i want williams lol, hed be perfect replacement for smith and brent. Who the *hell is Brent ??

K Train
02-15-2012, 11:48 AM
he should stay at OLB, he was having his best season....he may be GIGANTIC for an OLB but the dude is insanely athletic, and relentless against the run

couldnt even imagine an offseason with haley and williams as key acquisitions....put mario at ROLB and kick harrison inside next to timmons and watch the magic

K Train
02-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Mario Williams is in no way a "perfect" replacement for Aaron smith or Brett. Mario Williams is not a 5-tech. If Mario Williams was going to come to Pittsburgh (never going to happen), he'd be an outside linebacker. He was a 4-3 end until wade Phillips changed the D to a 3-4 and Mario was forced to move to OLB. He's a pass rusher, not a run stopper.

he could play DE in a 34 as bruce smith did, hed be great at that too...but imo he should stay at OLB wherever he goes. and hes built like a pass rusher for sure and he does get after the QB but he is an incredible run stopper for a pass rushing DE in a 43....relentless

MDSteel15
02-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah, only if we were replacing Harrison do you take Mario Williams!

LatrobePA
02-15-2012, 11:53 AM
he should stay at OLB, he was having his best season....he may be GIGANTIC for an OLB but the dude is insanely athletic, and relentless against the run

couldnt even imagine an offseason with haley and williams as key acquisitions....put mario at ROLB and kick harrison inside next to timmons and watch the magic

Man could you imagine, would be fun to watch..

SteelCityKid5
02-15-2012, 12:10 PM
First off, chill on the forum thread. Second, I don't know how we'd sign him. Finally, he's a big name free agent which the Steelers usually never pursue. So no

tburg68
02-15-2012, 04:09 PM
put mario at ROLB and kick harrison inside next to timmons and watch the magic

Be still my heart.

Zachintosh66
02-15-2012, 05:13 PM
hes not a 3/4 End... hes a 4/3 End or 3/4 OLB

The difference is huge...

K Train
02-15-2012, 05:31 PM
he could definitely play 34 end, 43 LE, 43 RE, or OLB...hes that good. at 6-6 280ish and with his power and block shedding ability he could play 5 tech, but his best home is at OLB in a 34.

hes basically the complete opposite of keisel....he could play both but his home is at DE because athletically hes limited for an OLB

mcfly06
02-16-2012, 01:12 AM
I know we wont sign him i was just seeing,id love to get him tho.