PDA

View Full Version : Rules you'd like to see changed in the NFL

BlitzburghRockCity
02-14-2012, 03:35 PM
I listening to The Fan this afternoon and the guys were talking about rule changes that they'd like to see implented. Knowing the NFL it's not like they would actually consider any of these but we wish right?

Some examples I came up with and/or heard from callers:

-Get rid of the extra point, make everything a 2 pt. conversion after a Touchdown.

-Take the "in the grass" Quarterback rule completely out. Sometimes the officials call it and sometimes they don't but for QB's like Ben it would be beneficial not worry about it at all.

-Use the post sesaon overtime rules for the regular season well. If you only have 16 games in a year and each one can come back to haunt you if you lose, why not give every team a chance to win in overtime.

-No automatic first down on illegal contact. Just make it a 10 yd. penalty and call it a day.

-No spot foul/automatic first down for pass interference. There are just too many questionable calls and you potentially give a team first and goal at 1 on a completely legitimate coverage.

-Ability to challenge penalties; personal fouls, pass interference if nothing else.

SteelCityKid5
02-14-2012, 03:49 PM
I like the pass interference one.. PI has gotten way out of hand

SteelDad
02-14-2012, 03:56 PM
-Get rid of the extra point, make everything a 2 pt. conversion after a Touchdown. Nope, still like the option of going for 2.

-Take the "in the grass" Quarterback rule completely out. Sometimes the officials call it and sometimes they don't but for QB's like Ben it would be beneficial not worry about it at all. Absolutely

-Use the post sesaon overtime rules for the regular season well. If you only have 16 games in a year and each one can come back to haunt you if you lose, why not give every team a chance to win in overtime. Agree and take it a step further. Each team gets the ball in OT at least once.

-No automatic first down on illegal contact. Just make it a 10 yd. penalty and call it a day. I'd be OK with this.

-No spot foul/automatic first down for pass interference. There are just too many questionable calls and you potentially give a team first and goal at 1 on a completely legitimate coverage. 15 yards like the college game.

-Ability to challenge penalties; personal fouls, pass interference if nothing else. Nope. (see below)

-Eliminate Instant replay on everything except scoring plays. It is still not used correctly and delays the game way too long. Officials make mistakes just like players do.

OldSchool58
02-14-2012, 04:03 PM
1. No more fair catches
2. Hits are only illegal if helmet to helmet
3. No field goals in the final 2 minutes of any game

BlitzburghRockCity
02-14-2012, 05:01 PM
-Get rid of the extra point, make everything a 2 pt. conversion after a Touchdown. Nope, still like the option of going for 2.

Imagine how much more competitive things would be if you had to go for 2 every time though. You can longer just basically get a free point on a PT, you have to work for every point you get just like with touchdowns or FG's.

Hell you could even take it a step further and say if you get inside the 10 yd. line you can't kick a FG you must go for the TD.

:D

NYCsteelersfan
02-14-2012, 07:51 PM
I like the pass interference one.. PI has gotten way out of hand

Agreed, but that's what the league wants. There's no way they change this rule because it will favor defense.

One rule change they should consider is to allow sacks on Brady and the Mannings, or at least be fair to every other team and just put a flag on the quarterback and not allow any quarterback to be tackled.

Raleigh Steel
02-14-2012, 08:25 PM
-Get rid of the extra point, make everything a 2 pt. conversion after a Touchdown. interesting. the extra point has been pretty pointless, except on the rare occasion that the kicker misses or it's blocked late in the game. i could go for this rule.

-Take the "in the grass" Quarterback rule completely out. Sometimes the officials call it and sometimes they don't but for QB's like Ben it would be beneficial not worry about it at all. i'm all for this.

-Use the post sesaon overtime rules for the regular season well. If you only have 16 games in a year and each one can come back to haunt you if you lose, why not give every team a chance to win in overtime. totally on board with this.

-No automatic first down on illegal contact. Just make it a 10 yd. penalty and call it a day. don't like this one. if it's 3rd and 15 the defense can get away with this kind of penalty on purpose. force the defense not to make an illegal contact. it's that simple.

-No spot foul/automatic first down for pass interference. There are just too many questionable calls and you potentially give a team first and goal at 1 on a completely legitimate coverage. nope, a 40 yard pass for a TD can be easily stopped by a blatant PI and only have to give up 15 yards. these are pros...they should play defense like it.

-Ability to challenge penalties; personal fouls, pass interference if nothing else. this i agree with, which would make the previous moot. if you can challenge a PI call and it upholds than spot the ball at the 1.

i'd like to see touchbacks at the 25. force the kickers to actually kick for positioning not just blast it out of the back of the end zone.

all plays should be reviewed like in college. games last 3 hours...so what if they happen to go an extra 15 minutes? would you really care if the game your watching went an extra 15 minutes if your team didn't get shafted?

if not the last one, coaches should not lose challenges if they win their challenge. it's not their fault refs screw up more than twice in a game.

the receiver catching a pass in the end zone should not have to catch it fall to the ground, pop up, run to the sideline and ask the ref if it's okay to let go of the ball now. if the receiver catches the ball, has 2 feet down and control of the ball, it's a TD. call it the megatron rule.

DBR96A
02-16-2012, 02:34 AM
Regarding the penalty for illegal contact: make it a simple five-yard penalty like off-sides, but tack on the automatic first down inside two minutes to go in each half. This would make defenses play more honest late in close games.

Regarding the penalty for defensive pass interference: make it a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down except inside two minutes to go in each half, when it becomes a spot foul and an automatic first down.

Regarding the judgment of defensive pass interference: it should only be a penalty if the defender deliberately impedes the receiver's movement when running, jumping or extending his arms. If the receiver doesn't appear to lose speed, jump height, or the ability to extend his arms, then no flag should be thrown regardless of whether or not there was contact.

Other ideas of mine....

1. Make offensive pass interference a 15-yard penalty.

2. Make defensive holding a 10-yard penalty and an automatic first down.

3. Make defensive substitution infractions a "dead ball" penalty inside two minutes to go in each half.

4. Make all cut-blocking illegal regardless of where the "cutting" blocker is lined up.

5. Mandate that all players wear all the necessary pads, including a fitted mouth guard on the top and bottom to reduce the risk of concussions.

6. Mandate a standardized helmet that every player is supposed to wear, and that the equipment sponsor is obliged to produce in exchange for sponsorship.

jpele
02-16-2012, 08:41 AM
I like to see them make " offensive holding" a penalty. Do you know how many sacks Harrison would have. :eek1:

On a serious note, they should do away with penalties for helmet to helmet hits and here's why. James Harrison get flagged, fined and suspended for a questionable call, in another game Ward ,Brown and Ben all took outrighe shots to the head no flags and come Wednesday no fines.

Why is it illegal to hit a receiver or Qb ( unless it's a Steeler) in the head but ok to hit a running back or lineman in the head?

SteelDad
02-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Imagine how much more competitive things would be if you had to go for 2 every time though. You can longer just basically get a free point on a PT, you have to work for every point you get just like with touchdowns or FG's.

Hell you could even take it a step further and say if you get inside the 10 yd. line you can't kick a FG you must go for the TD.

:D

I think I see some fodder for the next show!! I completely agree from a strategy and entertainment point of view that getting rid of the PAT would be interesting. I would be in favor of backing it up for sure.