PDA

View Full Version : Life is not so civil in Pittsburgh

JensK
02-13-2012, 11:35 AM
I wanted to post this article from cbssport, because it raise some interesting questions in regards the current situation in Pittsburgh. Not only in terms of Big Ben and Haley, but also the relationship between Rooney and Tomlin.

This is what we know about a story that continues to grow and may not go away anytime soon.

We know Mike Tomlin has appeared in two Super Bowls, winning one. He's one of the best young coaches in the NFL. We know that Tomlin wanted offensive coordinator Bruce Arians back. Multiple league sources confirm a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette report that Tomlin told his staff Arians was returning. Arians, I am told, then informed friends around the league of the same news.

This is also what we know. The president of the Steelers, Art Rooney II, overruled Tomlin on keeping Arians. Sources confirm this as well. We also know that no one on the Steelers has denied any of this and they've had plenty of opportunity. There's been nothing but extremely loud silence from Tomlin in particular.

Now, in the future, my guess is Tomlin will play the good soldier and at some point say everything is cool. Yet no one will believe Tomlin, and now this has become one of the bigger stories of the offseason.

It's a story that has been lost amid the never-ending post-Super Bowl analysis and the ongoing questions about whether Peyton Manning's neurons are firing properly. It's huge nonetheless. These are the Pittsburgh Steelers, one of the all-time classiest franchises in the history of sports. Steelers owners don't publicly overreact. Steelers owners don't force their Super Bowl winning head coaches to make staff changes (allegedly). When speaking with NFL team officials, no one can remember the last time a highly successful coach was forced to make staff changes by the team's owner (allegedly). That's because I'm fairly certain it has never happened in recent league history.

League types aren't the only ones with questions about this entire situation. The Pittsburgh media is equally puzzled.

Part of this story is about Tomlin, but another aspect could be a shift in how Steelers ownership handles its business. I don't believe the founding father of the organization, Art Rooney, would have done this to Tomlin. I know Dan Rooney. I'm certain he wouldn't. The Steelers have had three coaches in 43 years. That's a remarkable track record of stability, perspective and patience.

Not all of those years have been perfect. There have been cracks in the Steeler veneer, but not like this. The current owner of the team, Art Rooney II, has made Tomlin appear weak by forcing changes on his staff.

Rooney II by many accounts is a good man like the Rooneys before him, but there might be a little Jerry Jones in him. Rooney was quoted after the season ended as saying he wanted quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to "tweak his game." Not sure what that means, but Roethlisberger has Super Bowl appearances and is one of the elite throwers in the sport. Just can't see John Mara telling Eli Manning to tweak his game.

Not only was Arians apparently forced out (remember he retired, but only days later was hired by Indianapolis) but the Steelers hired Todd Haley to replace him. Haley is a combustible presence, and he doesn't have the approval of Roethlisberger. At least not yet.

The Steelers were fine. They were stable. They didn't need to make these moves. They weren't 4-12 last season; they went 12-4. The only thing that stopped them was a gimpy Roethlisberger and the fact Tim Tebow exposed Troy Polamalu's occasionally clumsy pass covering skills. That's it. The offense wasn't the problem. The Steelers could have easily won a Super Bowl this year with Arians. Adding Haley into the mix is like tossing a stick of dynamite into a placid lake.

"I've gotten a lot of calls and texts and emails from people around the league, both good and bad about him," Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette. "Everybody has an opinion, as we all know, and they're letting me know what their interaction with him was -- good, bad and indifferent. I've heard a lot of things, and I'm looking forward to meeting him and forming my own opinion."

Wow, that's quite the endorsement.

Again, I expect Tomlin at some point to publicly endorse the release of Arians and hiring of Haley once he meets with the media and they're allowed to ask questions. Tomlin's performance will earn him at least a Golden Globe. He'll beat out Clooney. No, this isn't a Steeler civil war but it sure does seem like things aren't very civil.

While this may have been blown way out of proportions, I do find it troubleing that this is happening. Most of us agree that BA had to go, but I doubt that many would have predicted how much trouble the firing would cause.

OldSchool58
02-13-2012, 12:08 PM
This writer is a moron. He says we could've gone to the SB this year with Arians had it not been for "Polamalu's occasionally clumsy pass covering skills".

This is guy who knows nothing about Steeler football. Just another dumbass looking for a story where there isn't one.

JensK
02-13-2012, 12:52 PM
This writer is a moron. He says we could've gone to the SB this year with Arians had it not been for "Polamalu's occasionally clumsy pass covering skills".

This is guy who knows nothing about Steeler football. Just another dumbass looking for a story where there isn't one.

erhm, lets look at it for a moment. We've won Superbowls with Arians in charge, check. Polamalu is quite frankly a liability in coverage at times, check. Could we have won the superbowl`? Maybe not, but that was not solely because of BA, but because of the massive amounts of injuries we had.

coldrolled
02-13-2012, 12:54 PM
When Haley and Ben hit the practice fields it will be a new dawn ... We will all enjoy the show. BA is gone. he was a loser.

OldSchool58
02-13-2012, 12:58 PM
erhm, lets look at it for a moment. We've won Superbowls with Arians in charge, check. Polamalu is quite frankly a liability in coverage at times, check. Could we have won the superbowl`? Maybe not, but that was not solely because of BA, but because of the massive amounts of injuries we had.

1. We one 2 SB's in spite of Arians, not because of him.

2. My point was that this dumbass blames us NOT going to this SB on Polamalu and doesn't mention a single word about our patched together O-line, aging LB's, or plenty of questionable play calling....especially in the red zone.

Raleigh Steel
02-13-2012, 01:09 PM

not to nitpick but we've won SUPERBOWL with arians in charge...singular.

the writer says we were 12-4 not 4-12, but if our defense didn't do it's job we would have been closer to 4-12 than 12-4. our offense was usually incapable of actually winning games...especially against ****** teams like indy, kc, jax, and cleveland twice. our defense was not dominate like we are used to, but they still held opponents from scoring...the offense still didn't do what they are supposed to do...score points.

this is getting way out of hand, and it's all becoming more speculation and opinion than actual facts.

i mean, it's not like we fired bill walsh after he led us to back to back super bowl wins with an unstoppable offense. this is bruce freaking arians...the most mediocre at best coach in the history of the league. no where else has he ever had success. and he wouldn't of had success here if it weren't for the talents of #7.

this crap needs to stop. hell kevin gilbride now has 2 super bowl rings as an OC. we've seen first hand what he can do running an offense. and BA couldn't hold his clip board.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Art II needs to learn to be hands off when it comes to football matters....take a cue from his father Dan Rooney...........we never heard of Dan meddling in football affairs.......except when it came to the drafting of Ben......

RIVERS OF STEEL
02-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Still no words from MT...

LevonKirkland99
02-13-2012, 10:11 PM
This story has some legs.....I just hope Art Deux doesn't stir the humble Steelers organization that the Chief has built.

Real Deal Steel
02-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Still no words from MT...

And that speaks volumes to me. Tomlin was not on board with the Haley hire. His actions (or lack thereof) is telling us all that. Rooney overruled Tomlin and yes it is true..Tomlin looks weak to the team now. Tomlin has been embarrassed to say the least.

JoeSteelerFan
02-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Clearly the Rooney's saw that Tomlin wasn't about to fire Arians on his own so they did it for him.

It's really that simple.

The old addage, "Change your people ..... or change your people" applies here. The Rooney's came out 2 years ago and told Tomlin they didn't like teh direction Airans was attempting to take the offense. It's not the brand of football they wanted from their business and they didn't like the way it changed the attitude of the offense.

Tomlin found out the old fashion way what a Coups d'état really means and why it's important to do what your employer asks of you.

Tomlin should have learned a valuable lesson in all of this.

coldrolled
02-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Clearly the Rooney's saw that Tomlin wasn't about to fire Arians on his own so they did it for him.

It's really that simple.

The old addage, "Change your people ..... or change your people" applies here. The Rooney's came out 2 years ago and told Tomlin they didn't like teh direction Airans was attempting to take the offense. It's not the brand of football they wanted from their business and they didn't like the way it changed the attitude of the offense.

Tomlin found out the old fashion way what a Coups d'état really means and why it's important to do what your employer asks of you.

Tomlin should have learned a valuable lesson in all of this.

21st ranked scoring offense doesnt help your job status, either does a redzone game plan from hell...
But Arians, im sure was a real good beer drinkin pal with everyone. to bad he was to stubborn. see ya.. and maybe rooney doesnt drink beer?

Stone
02-14-2012, 10:00 AM

Yep!

Troy was exposed on TV several times this year making "HORRIBLE" decisions in coverage. I love the guy but I'm not sure he is able to freelance effectively any more.

Nolrog
02-14-2012, 10:57 AM
John: Hmm. Hey Bob, no Steeler news today?
Bob: Nope, nothing again today.
John: Well, dang. What do we do now?
Bob: Introduce some made up controversy like it's the end of the Steelers as we know them. That always sells papers.
John: Didn't we do that yesterday?
Bob: And your point would be?

Number99
02-14-2012, 11:25 AM
This article was from Mike Freeman what do you expect? He is a hack like most of the other writers on that site. The only thing I really go there for is fantasy news. Eisenberg and Richard are the only ones worth anything there.