PDA

View Full Version : DID STEELERS YANK RUG FROM GRIMM?

Friday133
01-23-2007, 09:09 PM
DID STEELERS YANK RUG FROM GRIMM?

As the media continues to try to understand the process that resulted in conflicting reports regarding whether the Steelers would hire Mike Tomlin or Russ Grimm to be the team's next head coach, the hot rumor at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama (where various league types currently are gathered) is that Grimm was indeed offered the job before it went to Tomlin.

As the story goes, the Steelers called Grimm on Saturday and told him not to believe what the media was reporting about Tomlin. Then, the Steelers and Grimm negotiated a contract, and Grimm was told that he could tell his family that he was the guy, which he did.

But then, as the story goes, Commissioner Roger Goodell got involved and suggested to Steelers chairman Dan Rooney that it would be nice if the Steeler would hire one of the minority candidates, given that the Rooney Rule was named after him. Rooney relented.

On Sunday morning, Rooney met with Art II and Kevin Colbert and told them about the decision. Both initially disagreed because a deal had been done with Grimm. But the contract hadn't been signed, and Art II and Colbert deferred to Dan.

Grimm was then told about the decision, and he was obviously pissed. But, to date, he has been discreet regarding his displeasure, presumably because he plans to continue working in the industry that has only 32 job locations. Tomlin was then called on Sunday afternoon, and he was informed that he was the guy.

One source told us that he has been hearing this rumor "all day" in Alabama. Though we're not saying that any of this actually happened, the mere fact that this story is making the rounds at the Senior Bowl is newsworthy, in our opinion.

Especially since the events that transpired on Saturday night and Sunday were so damn bizarre.

Meanwhile, a reader tells us that Mike Prisuta of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review has been insisting in radio appearances that his story linking Grimm to the job was on the money. Though we poked fun at Prisuta's predicament on Sunday, it could be that he was right, after all.

PFT (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

Rumor or not, the Rooney's need to address this and put a potential damaging fire out ASAP.

PITT23
01-23-2007, 09:26 PM
I rarely believe anything from that site and the fact that it says the commish (a new one at that) basically made the choice for them sounds really untrue.

Friday133
01-23-2007, 09:29 PM
PFT seems to understand all the coaching moves though. Again, Rooney needs to step up and deny this thing, more so than he's already done.

SteelerFan87
01-23-2007, 09:35 PM
If this is true, I will truly despise Roger Goodell. Especially considering Rooney was one of his supporters and the guy who told him he got the commisioner's job.

rainman
01-23-2007, 09:45 PM
i think the rooney's make their own choices and would not be pressured to change them

PITT23
01-23-2007, 09:55 PM
i think the rooney's make their own choices and would not be pressured to change them

I think thats the bottom line.

However if this is true then Goodell really needs to STFU. The Rooney's followed the rules to begin with so him saying something was totally unnecessary.

Koopa
01-23-2007, 09:57 PM
that is some straight up bullshit....... that bullshit doesn't deserve an answer from dan rooney.......the media is just trying to make a story out of nothing........

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 10:39 PM
In my heart of hearts there's no way the Rooney's would do this to Grimm. They have a reputation and way of doing things that is above all else, the class way it should be done.

Prisuta may have gotten facts from what he thought was a reliable source but obviously it wasn't. Art and Dan already made a statement yesterday that the job was never offered to Grimm officially and that's all anybody should need. They may have told Grimm that he was the front runner, they may have not, but in any event until it's signed on the dotted line it's not official. Grimm would have left if he wasn't in the running in the first place and he left when he didn't get it. Im sure he's upset, I don't blame him, but he's moved on and the Steelers realized that there would be tension in the ranks had he stayed on with Tomlin so they granted his release.

Goodell Im sure talked to the Rooneys' during this process and I would imagine that topic came up of the Rooney rule but Goodell is in no position to be telling us who our head coach should be. He's the Commissioner but he doesnt know our team like the Rooney's and I'd have a hard time believing they'd give in if they knew Tomlin wasn't the right guy.

PFT is complete bunch of goofs, I don't trust anything they put out.

Friday133
01-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Maybe Grimm was **** drunk and thought he got the job, hence the confusion. The more I reflect on the hiring the more I'm glad Grimm didn't get it.

House of Steel
01-23-2007, 11:38 PM
That article is a crock of bullshit. This shouldn't even have to be talked about. We all know the Rooneys would never pull a stunt like that ever. Who in their right mind would believe the commissoner of the NFL would get involved in hiring a coach for a franchise? This story is totally false and nothing more than adding fuel to a damn fire the media started in the first place of that bullshit this past weekend. LET IT GO, TOMLIN IS THE COACH.

THIS NEEDS TO BE CLOSED.

Friday133
01-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Why should the thread be closed? The local Pittsburgh TV/radio stations and newspapers think its a story. PFT might not be right, but its a story nonetheless. Just because you don't like the content of the story doesn't mean a thread should be closed IMO.

House of Steel
01-23-2007, 11:43 PM
PFT is bullshit, Friday. I won't believe a damn thing they say. You know damn well as any, Rooneys would NEVER pull a damn stunt like that ever. COME ON. I should of said, the subject should be closed not the thread, My apologies.

Friday133
01-23-2007, 11:46 PM
While I will agree with you PFT isn't always right, they have in the past been right on regarding coaching changes. They hit the Nick Saban situation dead on.

House of Steel
01-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Well a Squirrel got to get a lucky nut every now and then. :lol: You got a point though!

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-23-2007, 11:58 PM
this isn't even an article, it's a bunch of he said she said B.S.

I heard through my sister's brother that he heard from his aunties hairdresser,that she hear from the rooneys chauffeur he over heard Art talking to ...:blah: :blah: :blah:

DIESELMAN
01-24-2007, 01:33 AM
As the media continues to try to understand the process that resulted in conflicting reports You gotta be kidding me right? The media is trying to figure out how the circus got started? They're the ones who started it!!!!! Isn't the media supposed to verify and confirm before they report? I know I know common sense, morals and values aren't included in a reporter's resume' anymore. I realize everyone was trying to get the BIG story first but what the media fails to realize is that the BS they report sometimes affects more people then they think. Now we're talkin about the greatest owners in the NFL owing someone an apology? Thats crap.....how about the media coming up with an apology of their own to the Rooney family and the Grimms? :helmet:

Hburg
01-24-2007, 02:09 AM
Goodell has been a b*tch to the Rooney's since becoming the commissioner. The media always attempts to make everything a scandal or a big story. I could see Kraft, Davis, or Jones doing this but not the Rooneys.

BuFu

SteelersWoman
01-24-2007, 02:30 AM
..The media is trying to figure out how the circus got started? They're the ones who started it!!!!!

Which is probably why they needed to come up with a story to cover their butts over the wrong report :2cents:

.....how about the media coming up with an apology of their own to the Rooney family and the Grimms? :helmet:

They need to include the Tomlins in that apology as well. Can you imagine how it must've made them feel when it was reported too early that he'd gotten it, then they probably read (or heard) that Russ had gotten it...had to be an emotional roller coaster ride for them too I'd think.

DIESELMAN
01-24-2007, 03:00 AM
They need to include the Tomlins in that apology as well. Can you imagine how it must've made them feel when it was reported too early that he'd gotten it, then they probably read (or heard) that Russ had gotten it...had to be an emotional roller coaster ride for them too I'd think.

Your absolutely right :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2007, 06:20 AM
this isn't even an article, it's a bunch of he said she said B.S.

I heard through my sister's brother that he heard from his aunties hairdresser,that she hear from the rooneys chauffeur he over heard Art talking to ...:blah: :blah: :blah:

couldnt agree more !! the media created this damn circus now they try to pass the buck to make it seem legit ! :cursin:

Steelerlyn
01-24-2007, 06:31 AM
PFT is the Enquirer of the NFL. My Spidey-Sense tells me that this is crap.

BBG7
01-24-2007, 09:34 AM
PFT is the Enquirer of the NFL. My Spidey-Sense tells me that this is crap.

you are exactly right. Hey sometimes the enquirer gets it right but until a media source that is not based upon gossip tells me it's true, I will never believe that. I think Tomlin knows he earned the job and was the best guy for it. I'm sure he knows PFT is a bunch of bull and he probably thinks the same way we do about this. He also knows how this whole saga was taking place...people reporting he had the job before he did also. I'm sure he is taking this with a grain of salt as we all should be. PFT has made some crazy claims in the past that have been completely wrong. I don't think the Rooney's really need to address this because anyone that knows them and the organization, knows they wouldn't do something like this.

AZ_Steeler
01-24-2007, 10:05 AM
PFT might be referred to as an "enquirer" to the NFL but when it comes down to it, you all would surprised at how much they are in fact right! I don't know where they get their sources but whoever they are they can find a story before it actually hits the airwaves! I'm not saying the site is creditable because some things are way out there in right field and you read their story and the whole time you're thinking "Yeah right"

For this story though we need to look at what transpired over the weekend and all the confusion that went on with some saying Grimm was in and others saying Tomlin was in. Obviously something went down that we are all not privy too because there was a lot of confusion! So why even discredit this story especially when it makes perfect sense... you have a rule that is named after an owner of a storied franchise that in its 74 years of existence has never hired a black coach! There is the old saying "practice what you preach" and if the Rooney's are all for the "Rooney" rule than why not be a bigger supporter of it and the next step and hire a black coach.

I'm shooting from the hip on this one, but there was definitely something that went down over the weekend that we don't know about, and if did then the FO has a lot of explaining to do and the ocean will need to be calmed down!

The only part of the story that I am having a hard time with is the commissioner getting involved. He is new so we don't really know how he operates yet, but this story could have very well happened! :dunno:

Steelerlyn
01-24-2007, 11:17 AM
I agree AZ, many times they have come out with the true story. Most sports' fans ignore them because of the rumor mill reputation they have established. No matter what side of the ball a person stands on this one, we all have to admit that Prisuta and others who reported the Grimm story have a vested interest in keeping this BS alive - it helps restore damaged credibility for them. It is almost impossible for me to question the Rooney's credibility.

SteelersWoman
01-24-2007, 05:58 PM
What I read that was a direct quote from young Art (but I'll give my own take here since I didn't copy it) is that he feels the miscommunication came when Russ was asked what his salary requirements would be--and apparently felt that it meant he was "in". He went on to say that Mike was asked the same question, and implied that MIKE didn't take it wrong--realized it was just part of the process...

He went on to say that he didn't recall telling anyone to tell Russ otherwise--which could mean that someone under him just took it upon themselves to do it, (and that would be a tough thing to get out of), or it could mean that he did, or knows someone did, and just isn't wanting to take responsibility.

For me, I guess I HAVE to believe that this was all just a huge misunderstanding, and that young Art wouldn't be capable of handling business affairs so badly. If he IS, it doesn't bode too well for the franchise.