PDA

View Full Version : Steelers will not bring back Hines Ward for 2012

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Jason LaCanfora (http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/10/la-canfora-steelers-wont-bring-back-ward/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) is reporting tonight that the team will not bring him back according to sources.

Hines Ward is one of the iconic Pittsburgh Steelers. As such, Ward playing football in anything but black and gold would feel like a mismatch.

But NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora told “NFL Total Access” Friday that Ward won’t be back next season, according to his sources.
As the Steelers work to restructure contracts (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d826d3c56) and manuever below the salary cap, the circumstances are dictating the twilight of Ward’s 14-year career. On the books, he has one year and $4 million left on his current contract. On the field, Ward also took a backseat to youngsters Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown, posting his lowest receiving totals since his rookie season in 1998.
The Steelers have adjusted the contracts of CB Ike Taylor and linebackers Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley. They might not be done, as La Canfora suggested S Troy Polamalu ($6.25 million next season) and QB Ben Roethlisberger ($11.6) could be next.
Ward has left the window open (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d825e6a9e) to playing elsewhere next season, but the choice might not be his if he can’t work out his own restructured deal.

MattyVfromCT
02-10-2012, 11:40 PM
until i hear a confirmation from the steelers themselves i'm not believing it. although i wouldn't be surprised in the least bit, i'm not gonna fall into another premature report like the paterno death a few weeks back

LatrobePA
02-10-2012, 11:57 PM
I knew they wouldn't bring him back..

JShare86
02-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Well that just ruined my evening and possibly my whole weekend

coldrolled
02-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Time to retire in style. It was an awesome run.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2012, 01:18 AM
LaCanfora has been known to be wrong but something this big I would hope his sources are solid. I'll believe it for sure when we get more concrete information but it's not looking good right now for 86

HUNT4SEVEN
02-11-2012, 01:55 AM
I agree with Matty V, until i hear something from the Rooneys, i don't care about what these so called insiders/experts say.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

steelers4life66
02-11-2012, 02:21 AM
Was hoping they'll bring him back for another year so he can retire in style

JollyRob68
02-11-2012, 02:23 AM
Time to retire. He will be missed but there comes a time to move on and its that time. Sign Jerricho Cotchery NOW.

Go 'Lers
02-11-2012, 03:03 AM
No lie, I'm happy the organization (allegedly) will do this. I wish he retire instead of go out like this but as much as I love the guy he has to go.

He's getting older and not as effective as his young counterparts, not to mention we're WAY over the cap space for 2012.

Hines, we love you and it's been an incredible ride. Farewell 86!!!

MattyVfromCT
02-11-2012, 07:32 AM
espn and si have NOTHING about this. like i said, i won't have any reaction until i see confirmation from a source with more credability than jason la canfora or mike douche florio who hopped all over this on pft last night........

SteelCurtain68
02-11-2012, 09:04 AM
I hope he retires, rather then embarrass himself with another team. There is nothing like a great player, like Hines, going out with great memories.

LarryNJ
02-11-2012, 10:54 AM
He looked really good in his suit on the SB pregame show. That should be his new uniform.

Number99
02-11-2012, 11:16 AM
If this is indeed Ward's last days with the Steelers I do hope he retires. But think about this, his being released could just be a formality. If was willing to stay for less money then maybe he gets released now ,$4mil off the books, and he gets re-signed after free agency starts at the lower price. It could happen , but then again I could just be crazy.

SteelCityVoice
02-11-2012, 11:24 AM
His days as a starting WR are over in Pittsburgh, but I still think he can contribute a little bit to this offense. It's honestly up to Hines Ward at this point. He'll probably either get released or be told by the Steelers to restructure for the veteran minimum. If he still thinks he can start in this league he won't be back with the Steelers.

cmerrifield
02-11-2012, 11:26 AM
This is the same guy who said Ben was gone 2 years ago, Hampton 3 years ago and Essex would be the starting LT a couple years ago, all from sources close to the situation, so he isnt trustworthy.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

LatrobePA
02-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Either way Hines shouldn't be back period. Sorry gang he's done put a fork in him!

Scorp
02-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Hines will do 2 things. Retire or be back with Pittsburgh by way of reconstructuring his contract.

steelspikes
02-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Steelers to 86 "86?" Sorry to say just the nature of the biz. If Steelers not so high over the salary cap might be another story. Re "cred" of NFLN, story is now on CBSsports.com and ESPN.com, also.

Real Deal Steel
02-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Time to retire. He will be missed but there comes a time to move on and its that time. Sign Jerricho Cotchery NOW.

You guys kill me. The guy can't play anymore. Stop hanging on to the past. I love Hines. No one love's him more then me. But it's time to move on. Tough, tough decisions were (and are) coming this off-season. And in the back of your minds, you knew that this was one of the things that had to be delt with. So stop all the crying. It was a great run. He's a hall of famer, we move on. And this sentiment of "going out in style", what's that about???

He's gone out the way most players have gone out. Gzzzzzzz.

RIVERS OF STEEL
02-11-2012, 12:16 PM
It is a good sign that management is going to clean house regardless. Those that have to go know that the nation loved them as no other would. Good luck and best wishes for your future who ever you are.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-11-2012, 01:01 PM
You guys kill me. The guy can't play anymore. Stop hanging on to the past. I love Hines. No one love's him more then me. But it's time to move on. Tough, tough decisions were (and are) coming this off-season. And in the back of your minds, you knew that this was one of the things that had to be delt with. So stop all the crying. It was a great run. He's a hall of famer, we move on. And this sentiment of "going out in style", what's that about???

He's gone out the way most players have gone out. Gzzzzzzz.

This.....couldn't have said it better myself.......Hines Ward one of my alltime favorite players and Hines had helped this team win a ton of football games (including two Lombardi Trophies) but all good things most come to an end at some time....Thanks for the memories Hines but its time for you to go.......

jpele
02-11-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't see it happening, Wards salary is 4mil this season with a signing bonus of $610,000 it will cost them almost 3.6 mil to cut him.if he resigns at vet min. They'll save a little over 3mil in cap space.

Yes I know his time is coming but it wasn't Ward's fault he was only thrown bubble screens, that problem is now in Indy.

steelchamp204
02-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Ward needs to go. He will produce nothing being the 5th 6th receiver. Cotchery has shown some things that he can take over for Hines. People that dont want to see him go is only because they love him so much and dont wanna let go. He will not be a factor on offense. He had a great career. Im not gonna say he should retire, he can do what he wants. But it would be nice if he did retire a Steeler.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Hines tweeted out today that he still wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh.

How much less he would take is anyone's guess right now.

LatrobePA
02-11-2012, 05:43 PM
He'd have to play for free IMO to stay... They want rid of him!

K Train
02-11-2012, 06:01 PM
im so happy right now. art II is the man

xBlitzBurghx
02-11-2012, 06:10 PM
I would rather see hines retire than be buried in our depth chart. Not cool

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

DIESELMAN
02-11-2012, 07:26 PM
It is very rare in any sport to see a player go out on his own terms without embarrassing themselves. After 14 years, Hines can still contribute but in a very very limited role, which would take up a valuable roster spot for someone who would be younger and contribute a lot more. Hines wants to retire a Steeler? Now is the time to do it.

SteelDad
02-11-2012, 09:26 PM
This is becoming more and more likely LaCanfora is a bit premature in his story. Hines has had contact with the FO and vice-versa.

Keep you informed more we find out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Real Deal Steel
02-11-2012, 11:22 PM
No...

what your seeing is a guy who's too old to play now and he's begging to still play. The FO has decided to move on from Hines. And when you look at the situation objectively, we have Cotchery now. There is no place for Hines now.

Number99
02-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Could this be another story of Jason LaConfora attempting to invent a story? Trying to assume the future in a Steelers off-season of multiple possibilities? With the Steelers being $25 mil over the cap there were/are so many scenarios to reduce the cap number. The good thing about all these is there is a finite time to settle it all. March 8th is not that far away.

connecticutsteel
02-12-2012, 02:58 PM
First off the Steelers are not 25 million over the cap anymore The smart thing to do is to offer Hines a consultant position IE:SPECIAL WIDE RECIEVER COACH.THEN HE COULD STAY WITH THE TEAM IF HE SAYS NO THEN LET HIM GO

Number99
02-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Yea I know they aren't $25 mil over anymore. I was implying from the start of the off season. There was and apparently still is much speculation as to how they will reduce the rest of the money to get under the cap. Being that the Steelers had the largest sum to reduce I think alot of critics figured the Steelers were going to make large wholesale changes. So far all that's been lost is Mcfadden and Battle and Hoke retiring. Not a devestating turnaround. Granted there are still changes to come. And would I be shocked if Ward was released? No. But what I would be shocked about is if he was let go without some sort of effort to restructure Ben and Troy first. And then there is the ridiculous number of Hampton's cap number for next season. IMHO he was much less effective last season in his time on the field then Ward. And is costing twice as much to keep him.
Now that Omar Khan is staying I'm sure that more cuts and reductions will come out this week. Whichever way Wards future is going to go , I'd bet with all the publicity on it right now his fate will come sooner then later.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-12-2012, 04:41 PM
According to Mark Kaboly, Ward is only willing to take a 2 million dollar paycut. That would take his cap hit down to 2 million instead of about 3.39 million if they were to just cut him. We don't know how true this is just yet but if Kaboly is right then Hines may be looking for other employment. I wrote an article today on the homepage about just releasing Ward.

I love the dude, he's one of my all time favorite players, a legend and future hall of famer. Even if they can bring him back for a decent salary, at what cost? Losing out on Cotchery?

CowherPower
02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Kaboly usually has pretty good information but I personally just can't stand the guy. He's as arrogant as the day is long.

That being said, I always want to see the great players of the Steelers finish out their career in a black and gold uniform but business is business. If there is a way to keep him on the roster at a cheap price then I'm all for it. As much as I love 86 though you have to think about the future and letting Cotchery leave in favor of Ward would be a bad business move.

JollyRob68
02-12-2012, 05:37 PM
I wish they'd call him in on Monday and say Tue were having a Press conference That your retiring. We're going in another direction and were going to give you a retirement gift of 2million to just retire now. In fact were bringing A Smith in also.

LatrobePA
02-12-2012, 05:37 PM
No way can you justify Ward over Cotchery, sorry!

LevonKirkland99
02-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Great player Steeler player...imho, the Steelers are making a big mistake knowing that Arians didn't want him playing ( Read the Bleacher report on Ward)

SteelCityVoice
02-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Great player Steeler player...imho, the Steelers are making a big mistake knowing that Arians didn't want him playing ( Read the Bleacher report on Ward)

Not sure Bleacher Report is the best source for sports information. I admit I used to put my stuff up there but 99% of that website's stuff is useless garbage. PARTICULARLY the Steelers coverage.

OldSchool58
02-13-2012, 08:27 AM
First off the Steelers are not 25 million over the cap anymore The smart thing to do is to offer Hines a consultant position IE:SPECIAL WIDE RECIEVER COACH.THEN HE COULD STAY WITH THE TEAM IF HE SAYS NO THEN LET HIM GO

^^:yellowthumb:^^

Can you imagine our young recievers with their speed, being coached by one of the best blocking recievers in the game? You just don't find that kind of experience every day.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-13-2012, 09:36 AM
If the Steelers have decided to release Hines Ward, it is news to Ward -- and maybe even the Steelers.

The NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora, who also works for NFL.com, wrote that, according to his sources, "Ward won't be back."
A source close to Ward, however, said no one from the Steelers has indicated to him that the team plans to release him. Also, Steelers sources told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that no decision has been made regarding Ward's future with the team.

Ward, who could not be reached for comment, issued a statement on his Facebook page after the NFL report:
"I don't normally like to respond to rumors, but as I've said all along, I want to finish my career with the Pittsburgh Steelers. And as I've already told the organization, I am willing to work with them to restructure my contract to make sure this happens."
LaCanfora reported that even if Ward took the NFL minimum "he still wouldn't be worth retaining, because No. 4 receivers have to play special teams."

He wrote that Ward "has one year left on his deal worth $4 million." Actually, Ward has two years left at $4 million each.
Speaking to the Post-Gazette Feb. 2 in Indianapolis, Ward said he had met separately with coach Mike Tomlin and Steelers president Art Rooney after the season ended.

"I just wanted to let them know I want to be here, I want to play," said Ward. "I have two years on my contact. I know I have to restructure, but, under the circumstances, I think I can still play football."
Ward has said many times that he wants to end his career in Pittsburgh, but he is determined to play somewhere in 2012, even if the Steelers do not want him. Ward, who turns 36 March 8, has played all 14 of his NFL seasons with the Steelers and holds nearly every team receiving record.

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12043/1209685-66.stm)

Sojourner
02-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Hines has said repeatedly that he is willing to restructure and do whatever it takes to play this year and I think it would be a mistake not to bring him back not just for his ability on the field but also for his veteran leadership.

Used in a way to take advantage of his talents Hines could still be a major asset to this team.

K Train
02-13-2012, 11:27 AM
veteran leadship in sports is about as overrated as it gets

LatrobePA
02-13-2012, 12:31 PM
It's time to move on from "twinkle toes"...

LevonKirkland99
02-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Clearly some people on this board like to play coach and don't want to see Ward in a Steeled uniform. It's not Ward's fault that he got thrown bubble screens. Stay classy Steeler fans!!!!!

LevonKirkland99
02-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Insanity!!!!!!!!!!

JShare86
02-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Clearly some people on this board like to play coach and don't want to see Ward in a Steeled uniform. It's not Ward's fault that he got thrown bubble screens. Stay classy Steeler fans!!!!!

Well said....... Hines was a team player all year never ran his mouth or caused a distraction let the man play out his current contract they owe him that much and so do the fans.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Nobody is blaming Ward here, atleast not that I can tell. Everyone has the ultimate respect for him as a Steeler. He'll be in the Hall of Fame one day, I have little doubt of that. Some have a different way of stating that but..LOL

What people are saying though is that father time has caught up with Ward and the reality is you would be hard pressed to justify a roster spot for a guy who won't play ST and would only see the field a handful of plays at most each week. In a perfect world a guy like Hines retires a Steeler and rides off into the sunset amidst the thundering applause of a Heinz Field crowd. Unfortunately it rarely works out for older veterans in today's NFL.

Plus the Steelers still have salary cap issues and if you give Ward 1-2 million per year, what are you giving up to keep him? Extra money for a better lineman, linebacker?

Stone
02-14-2012, 10:13 AM
LaConfor's credibility has often been called in to question and this is another case of it.

As far as Ward's future, he should retire a Steeler regardless of the role he plays this year. Coach, mentor, no. 4, or whatever it may be. A creative OC could use him magnificently! Think about it.....we have some of the fastest/quickest receivers in the NFL.....combine that with the best blocking wide receiver ever to play the game (not to mention the guy is still tough) and it could work perfectly......if the OC game plans it.

LatrobePA
02-14-2012, 10:36 AM
If we keep re-sign Cotchery then Ward will be gone... If 89 finds a new team Hines will be back! This team has got bigger problems though, we need a RB, sorry but I'm not sold on Redman as a FT starter..

BlitzburghRockCity
02-14-2012, 05:03 PM
I would be surprised if they draft a RB man, perhaps a FB yeah but with Redman, Clay, Dwyer, and Batch, I would bet they feel pretty set there.

jpele
02-14-2012, 06:38 PM
I would be surprised if they draft a RB man, perhaps a FB yeah but with Redman, Clay, Dwyer, and Batch, I would bet they feel pretty set there.

I agree , if Clay and Dwyer are serious about remaining Steelers they'll come to camp prepared to prove their worth. If I'm not mistaken Kevin Colbert already stated RB is a minor concern at this time.

SteelCityVoice
02-15-2012, 12:17 AM
That interview with LaCanfora on 93.7 The Fan's Morning show today was a joke.

His initial report said that his sources were telling him that Ward would not be back. He was reporting that as "news"

Yet today on the show, he was giving his OPINION on why Ward wouldn't be back.

Opinions and Facts are two vastly different things.

Not impressed by LaCanfora at all!

Speeed
02-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Based on what?

It has been my experience in sports through HS and college that veteran players are both an obvious and profound asset. First, they provide the obvious; leadership and guidance. Younger less experienced players also pick up a variety of cues such as how to carry themselves in games, practices, with coaches, etc. both on and off the field. A veteran sets examples at variety of levels that another player cannot experience by watching film.

I am not saying all players want that role, or are good at it. Neither am I insinuating that the Steelers should pay (or not pay) Ward to stay continue playing. For goodness sake, he does not use a walker, he can still make key plays. I do think he does have the personality, smarts, and experience to benefit the team in many profound ways, at least for another year.

veteran leadship in sports is about as overrated as it gets