PDA

View Full Version : Experience?

Steelerlyn
01-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Tomlin is inexperienced as a head coach, are we going to see a significant number of growing pains?

In-game adjustments? Subtle details of clock management? Management of personnel? (Which is much different as the head honcho than as a coordinator, I assume.) Everyone and everything says this guy is prepared, but I hope it all shows once the bright lights of regular season 2007 begin this fall.

Friday133
01-23-2007, 02:59 PM
I don't think there will be any problems. LeBeau has HC experience and he'll help acclimate Tomlin to the role.

AZ_Steeler
01-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Cowher had no HC experience, neither did Chuck Noll! I think Tomlin will learn a lot this is but he will from his mistakes just as everyone before him as too.

Prosdo
01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
You gotta start somewhere.

SteelersWoman
01-23-2007, 04:04 PM
I just keep tryin to think "Payton and Mangini--Payton and Mangini" lol
And THOSE guys took over teams that were ALL messed up.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-23-2007, 04:12 PM
I just keep tryin to think "Payton and Mangini--Payton and Mangini" lol
And THOSE guys took over teams that were ALL messed up.

Thats a good point. Both Payton and Mangini took over teams that were terrible the year before. Plus both were first time HC's. Another thing to Payton coached under Parcells and Mangini under Belichick. With Mike Tomlin he coached under Tony Dungy.

Friday133
01-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Cowher hired Ron Erhardt as OC, Erhardt had previous HC experience with New England. He was brought in to help mentor Cowher, something I think LeBeau will do with Tomlin.

BlitzburghNation
01-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Shouldn't be a problem for TOMLIN, He's been in the league long enough to manage the clock and make adjustments during the game :tt02:
Our biggest worry was lifted when he retained Labeau :tt02: :bigthumb:

Stairwayto7
01-23-2007, 04:39 PM
I don't think there will be any problems. LeBeau has HC experience and he'll help acclimate Tomlin to the role.

I agree! This team is full of experience! And we are not redoing the entire staff, Lebeau and Arians will help!

Steelx
01-23-2007, 04:42 PM
There will be growing pains with anything you are starting new. That to me is expected its just how bad are these pains going to hurt the first year? If you can get away with them then your doing a good job.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 06:53 PM
There will be growing pains with anything you are starting new. That to me is expected its just how bad are these pains going to hurt the first year? If you can get away with them then your doing a good job.

:iagree: There will be growing pains, expecting to not have any is asking for a letdown. Mangini and Payton may have had good season but it wasn't a cake walk, they had their own trials and misfortunes in the games they lost.

There will be things to overcome in 2007, how well the team responds to Tomlin's decisions and how well he learns from his mistakes will definitely be the key. Cowher had alot of success early but we were far from perfect that first year and subsequent years.

58Lambert
01-23-2007, 07:20 PM
As far as pre-head coaching experience goes, the difference between the two is that Cowher has coached one more year than Tomlin. During the same time, Cowher was a def coord for 2 more years than Tomlin.