PDA

View Full Version : Reliving Super Bowl XIII

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 12:59 PM
I watched the entire SB XIII original broadcast on NFLN last night. I don't remember that game as I was too young, the only one I remember from the 70's teams was XIV.

What a great experience to see it full and unedited with the actual players we've all talked about that are now legends and in the HOF, playing in their prime in the world championship game.

It was amazing to see first hand everything that we always heard about the Steel Curtain defense. Those front 4 were just amazing as we all know but seeing them doing it in a real game and not some replay or highlight show you see somewhere was amazing. Every single snap, by the time Staubach dropped back to pass the pass rush was already in the backfield consistently and sacking him, flushing him out of the pocket, or making him hurry a throw, it was just wild !

Seeing Lambert and Ham taking on the RB's or coming up the middle to blow up the play was awesome ! Donnie Shell as we know was known as being a huge hitter but seeing lay the smack down in his hay day was great.

It was just a cool experience that if you can see it, you owe it to yourself to view the Steel Curtain in it's prime. Harris, Bradshaw, Blier, Swann, Stallworth, Webster, it just doesnt get any better than that !

**notice I keep saying "amazing" in this thread, because there's just no other word to describe them**

Prosdo
01-23-2007, 01:02 PM
I only caught like 5 minutes of it. I wish I would have tivo'ed it. If anyone did I would be interested in a copy.

House of Steel
01-23-2007, 01:09 PM
same here since some damn theif stoled all four of my copies of the Super Bowls that I gotten from a dear good friend last Christmas. I miss them games. I would love to get them again.

SteelerNation
01-23-2007, 01:09 PM
I only got to see about 30 mins of it and i dont remember any of it.:dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I missed the first 30 minutes of it but I DVR'd the rest. I believe i caught it midway through the first quarter. I'm going to watch it again this week.

Ive seen highlights shows on ESPN and such over the years but I never saw the actual game in it's entirety from beginning to end. For those here that are old enough to have seen them in person and experience the Steel Curtain in it's prime, I :hail: to you !

BBG7
01-23-2007, 01:19 PM
It was awesome! It's amazing how different football was back then. I was in my mother's tummy during that game so I can only remember my Dad yelling at the TV (hahahaha) No really though, it was fun to get to relive those days I missed before I was born and to watch how hard they could hit people and no penalties.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 01:21 PM
That was something that was cool to see as you mentioned, all the HUGE hits that todays' league would cry foul on and throw a personal foul penalty. Big hits on the QB, helmet to helmet to contact, guys flying through the air and laying the wood, these guys were the true tough guys that you just don't see anymore, nor would the league allow.

BBG7
01-23-2007, 01:23 PM
yes they were. They were much smaller but they hit HARD!!!! My favorite hit in the game was near the end when Wagner picked up the reciever, never let his feet touch the ground, and carried him back 5 yards before body slamming him to the ground. I waited for a flag, but no flag....it was awesome!

House of Steel
01-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I miss the real NFL from the 70s. Matt, you have no idea how I would love to live in that era and see football in a real sense.

BBG7
01-23-2007, 01:32 PM
I miss the real NFL from the 70s. Matt, you have no idea how I would love to live in that era and see football in a real sense.

I agree if I could go back in time it would be to the 70s to see the Steelers win all those SBs and I heard that city was amazing during the Steelers SB runs!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 01:44 PM
I too would have loved to be in the atmosphere of the city when the great Steeler teams were just tearing it up every year. For all the hard times Pittsburgh went through during that era from an economic standpoint and soon after that, they lived Steeler football on a level that today's fan can probably never appreciate.

BBG7
01-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Yes, all I have are stories from those days...but it was the Steelers that held that city together. My aunt told me that everyone was excited to go to work on Monday to talk about the Steelers game that weekend.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 01:53 PM
As much as Pittsburgh is the Steelers city today, I can barely fathom the magnitude of what it meant back then.

Ambridge
01-23-2007, 02:06 PM
I remember a play late in the 3rd Quarter where Bradshaw threw a ball and a Dallas lineman nailed him well after the throw was gone and one of the announcers says it's tough physical game today and both quarterbacks have been taking a pounding.

I thought to myself had this had been a present day game a flag would have came out so fast for "Roughing the Passer" that it wouldn't have been funny.
Players definately got away with a lot more rough stuff back then.

Watching the old games gives a nice compare and contrast between how the game has changed between then and now.

I was an early teenager living back in the Ambridge-Baden area during the Dynasty Years and it was a truly great and memorable time in my life. I feel privledged to have had the experience and lay claim to be a native Pittsburgher.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-23-2007, 02:21 PM
I watched the game last night also, it brought back many fond memories of the Steel Curtain !! Awesome hitting !!
:stirpot: Did ya notice that 4-3 ?? So many of you are so worried about switching defenses, if ya got the players to do it it works like a champ !! Notice also that they didn't have to blitz as much, our D-backs covered the field like a blanket and that was with a rookie corner,I believe was his position. Ahhh the good old days.....

58Lambert
01-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Another Steeler I loved was Mike Webster ("Iron Mike"). I remember watching him play back then... he would literally run to the football immediately after breaking the huddle. He couldn't wait to bowl someone over. That guy was a beast!! :helmet:
I remember watching the Pro Bowl either that same year or the year after... I think 9 out of the 11 starting AFC defense were all Steelers. Supposedly, the 9 Steeler starters told the other 2 non-Steelers "step aside, we'll handle this." :towel:

SteelersWoman
01-23-2007, 04:26 PM
My favorite hit in the game was near the end when Wagner picked up the reciever, never let his feet touch the ground, and carried him back 5 yards before body slamming him to the ground. I waited for a flag, but no flag....it was awesome!

I have never seen ANYthing like that. That was by ALL means the funniest football play I think I've EVer seen!! I was like "You have GOT to be kidding me"!! I laughed my butt off LOL

And like everyone else that mentioned it--I thought it was so cool to see guys play the game without all the roughing the passer, unecessary roughness calls, etc. Awesome. JUST awesome.

And there was hardly any fanfare after the win--it looked to me like they were in a locker room or something...quite unlike the '05 win of last year!