PDA

View Full Version : Running Backs Coach

Steelerlyn
01-23-2007, 01:36 AM
Now that we've got a new head coach (a great choice), what about a running backs coach? I don't know if this idea has been floated here before, but I'll give it a run anyway. How about Jerome Bettis? He was pretty much of a player/coach his last year or two anyway. What do all of you think?

Then again after he hung up his cleats maybe he wants to keep it that way, after all, he probably makes booko bucks being on NBC for a few minutes every Sunday during the season, but who knows?

Koopa
01-23-2007, 01:44 AM
yeah i think he rather stay working for nbc where he only works once a week, being a coach in the nfl is pretty much a everyday year around job, and i think he likes being able to spend time with his family and just working once a week

SteelersWoman
01-23-2007, 01:57 AM
I think he'd be GREAT at it--he's such a motivator, and the guys loved him. As team-mates, they were willing to put their blood, sweat, and tears on the field, so I think it'd probably be the same way for guys playing under his teaching.

But IF he'd ever want to coach RB's, I'd think it probably wouldn't be for awhile. I think he's enjoying what he's doin right now.

Stairwayto7
01-23-2007, 07:43 AM
There is no way he would give up the Oreo and Cookies job for a coaching job

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 09:22 AM
We'd all love to have Jerome as our RB coach but it won't happen this year. He's only 1 year into his new life, he won't come back now.

Friday133
01-23-2007, 11:51 AM
I would hope Jerome never coaches our RB's. He doesn't have the coach mentality, he's better suited to the TV studio.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 11:54 AM
I think he has the perfect mentality. He's passionate, hard working, understands the game, has the experience to relate to the players and spent alot of time with Dick Hoak.

Friday133
01-23-2007, 12:09 PM
I think he has the perfect mentality. He's passionate, hard working, understands the game, has the experience to relate to the players and spent alot of time with Dick Hoak.

That does not make a coach though. That was all part of his job when he was playing. A lot of people spent time with Dick Hoak, that doesn't mean they'd be a good coach. Bettis is more like Franco Harris. He's got many other things going on besides football at this point.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Im not saying because he spent time with Hoak that he is a good coach because of that, and I disagree that all the things I mentioned do make him a good candidate to coach if he ever wants too. He watched tons of film studied his opponents, learned how all the ins and outs of being a HOF RB. He didn't get to be in the position he is on the all time Rushing list for nothing. He's got the knowledge and skills to coach and relate to players and get the most out of them.

He was a leader on our team every year he was with us and leadership ability is key to being a coach.

SteelerNation
01-23-2007, 12:14 PM
I would like to see Jerom Bettis as are running back coach on ESPN about 2 weeks ago i seen a contubit to him as he was a kid how he got where he is now and it shows how he coachs little kids from school. and they are all RB's etc. I do belive he would be a awsome RB coach but thats just my 2 cents

Friday133
01-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Im not saying because he spent time with Hoak that he is a good coach because of that, and I disagree that all the things I mentioned do make him a good candidate to coach if he ever wants too. He watched tons of film studied his opponents, learned how all the ins and outs of being a HOF RB. He didn't get to be in the position he is on the all time Rushing list for nothing. He's got the knowledge and skills to coach and relate to players and get the most out of them.

He was a leader on our team every year he was with us and leadership ability is key to being a coach.

First, he's not in the HOF yet. Secondly, he was doing his job by watching film etc. If he wanted to be a coach he would never have taken the NBC gig, he would have gone the Mike Singeltary route and worked his way up. I think its just Steelers fans wishful thinking hoping Bettis comes back.

House of Steel
01-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Sorry to ask, Friday, but boy you sure changed in the last few months. Why are you so negative toward all these opinions? I am serious, it is getting bothersome. Anyway, how would you know if Jerome Bettis wouldn't be an excellent Running Back Coach, you seen him mentoring Willie Parker and look at what he has turned out to be. Wishful thinking? Sure, but don't we have a right to dream? :smh2:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 12:42 PM
First, he's not in the HOF yet. Secondly, he was doing his job by watching film etc. If he wanted to be a coach he would never have taken the NBC gig, he would have gone the Mike Singeltary route and worked his way up. I think its just Steelers fans wishful thinking hoping Bettis comes back.

Ok really putting yourself in the same sentence as Jerome Bettis really makes no sense. The guy is in his own level. Just because he wanted to go the route of TV for awhile doesn't mean he won't coach in the future. I commend him for knowing when to walk away and persue something that still keeps him involved in football but lets him rest and relax for awhile away from the rigors of the game.

If you seriously think Jerome isn't a HOF running back then you really need rethink that logic, IMO. It doesn't matter if he's not in there yet, he hasn't been out of the league long enough to be but you can bet your last dollar he'll be a first round HOF inductee when his time arrives. If you could be elected into the HOF right after you leave the game, he'd already be wearing a gold jacket.

BBG7
01-23-2007, 12:53 PM
There's nothing wrong with wishing for something even if it is a long shot. He would really be amazing for the team, but he's probably not that interested. I think he is happy with his job and is where he wants to be now, but it would be awesome if he came back and coached. He was a leader on the field and off the field when he was a player I think the team would respond amazingly to him.

Friday133
01-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Sorry to ask, Friday, but boy you sure changed in the last few months. Why are you so negative toward all these opinions? I am serious, it is getting bothersome. Anyway, how would you know if Jerome Bettis wouldn't be an excellent Running Back Coach, you seen him mentoring Willie Parker and look at what he has turned out to be. Wishful thinking? Sure, but don't we have a right to dream? :smh2:

And why should I agree with everything being said? I don't agree with TG on this, again he's entitled to his own opinion. He makes some good points to back up his opinion, as I think I do. Also, I've never been a big fan of Jerome, so from my POV I wouldn't want to see him in a coaching position with the Steelers.

Friday133
01-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Ok really putting yourself in the same sentence as Jerome Bettis really makes no sense. The guy is in his own level. Just because he wanted to go the route of TV for awhile doesn't mean he won't coach in the future. I commend him for knowing when to walk away and persue something that still keeps him involved in football but lets him rest and relax for awhile away from the rigors of the game.

If you seriously think Jerome isn't a HOF running back then you really need rethink that logic, IMO. It doesn't matter if he's not in there yet, he hasn't been out of the league long enough to be but you can bet your last dollar he'll be a first round HOF inductee when his time arrives. If you could be elected into the HOF right after you leave the game, he'd already be wearing a gold jacket.

I really have no idea what you mean by the first sentence. Will Jerome be in the HOF, more than likely yes, but he's not there yet. Look at other position and assistant coaches in the NFL, they didn't go to TV first, then get into coaching. They got into coaching shortly after retiring. I don't think Jerome wants to be a coach, and because of this, I don't think he'd be that good at it either.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-23-2007, 02:19 PM
This has been discussed before. I wouldn't mind at all to have Jerome back with the team. But he is making a ton of money just to talk pigskin for NBC. Probally more then he would make as a position coach thats for sure. Plus I doubt Jerome wants to put in the hours a NFL coach does during the season.

I'm sure he wants to spend time with his young daughter and the rest of his family especially since his fathers death.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 07:08 PM
I really have no idea what you mean by the first sentence. Will Jerome be in the HOF, more than likely yes, but he's not there yet. Look at other position and assistant coaches in the NFL, they didn't go to TV first, then get into coaching. They got into coaching shortly after retiring. I don't think Jerome wants to be a coach, and because of this, I don't think he'd be that good at it either.

Just because the guy wanted to try TV first and take a break from football doesn't mean he wouldnt make a great coach for us. Perhaps he doesn't want to be one someday and perhaps he does, but you don't know that for sure so you cant say he won't make a good coach just because he went to TV first ! What kind of reason is that ?

There's no unwritten law that says you have to jump right from playing to coaching or you won't make a good coach. Jerome would be one hell of a RB coachs for us, he's got the respect of his peers and coaches already, and he's got the resume and experience; if he decides to do it he'd be dman good if you ask me.

big d
01-23-2007, 10:24 PM
I doubt jerome would want to quit his one day a week job with nbc for a demanding rb job with the steelers. I think tom rathman would be a good canidate to be the next rb coach

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 10:45 PM
That may very well be the case, he may never want to come back to football as a coach. His legacy is set, he doesn't need to do it if he doesn't want too. However if he did, I just think he'd make a real good one for us or anybody else.