PDA

View Full Version : Big Changes for Big Ben

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 01:22 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_489843.html

By Kevin Gorman
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Through his first three seasons, Ben Roethlisberger enjoyed a luxury not afforded to a Steelers starting quarterback since Neil O'Donnell.

Roethlisberger had played under the same offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, something the Steelers considered before hiring Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin to replace Bill Cowher.

"When you have what you think is a franchise quarterback, you think about it," Steelers president Art Rooney II said. "But we thought about other positions on the team, and how a defensive coach would handle the offense. We talked about all these things, and obviously, we got comfortable that Mike would be able to handle all those situations."

The move signals an offensive overhaul for the Steelers, who bypassed a pair of their own assistants in the process. They allowed offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt to take the Arizona Cardinals head-coaching job and then picked

While Tomlin could opt to keep some of Cowher's assistants, there will be new offensive coaches in at least three capacities: offensive coordinator, offensive line and running backs, where Dick Hoak has retired.

If Bruce Arians is elevated to offensive coordinator, the Steelers also will need to hire a new receivers coach. The fate of quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple is in the hands of Tomlin, who was non-committal as to who would be retained other than defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

Roethlisberger could not be reached for a reaction to the hire Monday, when the Steelers formally introduced Tomlin as their 16th head coach in franchise history.

"Ben's going to wait to meet the coach and reserve any comment until the staff is resolved," said Roethlisberger's agent, Ryan Tollner.

That the Steelers chose change over continuity in their staff could ultimately prove beneficial for Roethlisberger, who is coming off his most inconsistent season.

This should serve as even more motivation for Ben to keep his workouts and training up during the offseason. He will have alot to work with and learn but Im hoping Tomlin keeps a good portion of the staff atleast to make things go as smoothly as possible. We have good assistant coaches who know what they are doing so it will be interesting to say the least.

Koopa
01-23-2007, 01:23 AM
i think tribune articles should be banned from SA..........

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-23-2007, 01:44 AM
i think tribune articles should be banned from SA..........

It is a news source. Even wrong at times. All media screws up. It is a way of life. I think all spurs fans should be banned :lol:

AZ_Steeler
01-23-2007, 01:47 AM
This should be a good change for Ben, and might even open things up for him a bit to further showcase his talent. Ben is a heck of a QB and I;m sure he'll respond in a positive way!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 02:14 AM
Plus using this offseason to get our OL squared away will only mean more time in the pocket, less sacks and hopefully less picks too.

Koopa
01-23-2007, 02:24 AM
Plus using this offseason to get our OL squared away will only mean more time in the pocket, less sacks and hopefully less picks too.

we can fix that by drafting blalock with the 15th pick overall......ben's problem with the sacks was he was afraid to run, i think with the way he ended the year i think he'll have more confedence in himself to run instead of just falling down......and i'm sure he'll throw less picks, cause him being afraid to run he was just throwing it where ever, i think next year will see a much mature ben

Steelersfan
01-23-2007, 04:03 AM
I agree. I think Ben was a little scared to get hit early in the season and didn't run when he needed to. He should do much better this year having all the time off to really recover from what he went through.
I still think we need a little help on the OL though. They were as hot and cold as our team was last year.

Koopa
01-23-2007, 04:05 AM
didn't know if this is worthy of a new thread

Mike Tomlin, formally introduced as the Steelers' third head coach in 38 years, went to work quickly on his staff, hiring both coordinators. He confirmed that Dick LeBeau will remain as his defensive coordinator, and he promoted Bruce Arians from coaching the wide receivers to his offensive coordinator.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07023/755980-66.stm

Black@Gold Forever32
01-23-2007, 04:07 AM
I also heard that Bruce Ariens has been promoted to OC. Thats what the talk was on fever.

Stairwayto7
01-23-2007, 09:10 AM
With Ariens in as the OC, Ben will be just fine!

Cant wait until the season opener

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 10:36 AM
I agree. I think Ben was a little scared to get hit early in the season and didn't run when he needed to. He should do much better this year having all the time off to really recover from what he went through.
I still think we need a little help on the OL though. They were as hot and cold as our team was last year.

He looked gun shy in the pocket all year long even in the last 8 games when we played better. The combination of all the things that happened to him and the time off just did him no good last year so I expect the old Ben to shine through this season especially with an OC he knows and hopefully Whipple stays too, and a full offseason and training camps' worth of work under his belt.

SteelerNation
01-23-2007, 01:22 PM
I think ben will do just fine

SteelerNation
01-23-2007, 01:23 PM
But i could be wrong

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Our offensive line will be the key to Ben's success this coming season just like every other season. If they suck he won't do well, if they play well then Ben will have the chance to do all the things he did before his misfortunes last year.

BBG7
01-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Our OL was a lot of the reason Ben had so much trouble last year. They didn't give him any protection. They have to step it up and protect our young QB and he will be back to his regular self in no time!

House of Steel
01-23-2007, 01:50 PM
the answer is, we need to get younger and faster. Keep the Vets in there, but have the young ones pressure them to get the job as starter. I expect a very intense competitive Training Camp this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 01:53 PM
We have a great mix of youth and veterans on our team now. Every group has young guys and veterans mixed in so it works well.

We don't want too many young guys or you lose the veteran leadership, and you don't want too many old guys or you can't keep up with the speed of the game.

We take care of fixing the OL, and getting some fresh blood at LB to challenge the starters and things will get back to being normal again :lol: