PDA

View Full Version : Now confirmed, Grimm will be granted a release

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 01:18 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07023/755980-66.stm

One coach who won't return was the runner-up to Tomlin in the 16-day search for Cowher's replacement. Russ Grimm, the team's assistant head coach and offensive line coach, will be granted a release from his contract with the Steelers at his request. Grimm could join new Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt in Arizona, but also could entertain other offers.

Grimm was considered a front-runner at one point during the coaching search, and club president Art Rooney II acknowledged yesterday that Tomlin at first was not high on their list of candidates.

"I think it's fair to say Mike was in that category in terms of our initial discussion," Art Rooney said. "He was probably a long shot when we began the discussions."

Dan Rooney, the team's chairman, denied a report that the Steelers offered Grimm the job on Saturday. He said that never happened, and he took umbrage with those who claimed Grimm accepted their offer, only to learn on Sunday that the Rooneys had changed their minds and reneged. Grimm did not return messages left on his cell phone.

I hate seeing Grimm leave, he was one of the guys. A coach who hung out with other coaches and players on a regular basis and had a good feel for the team. That could very well have been the deciding factor or atleast one of them that Grimm was too closely connected to the players and other coaches to take a commanding role as HC and still keep his priorities together.

Good luck Russ, we'll miss you and thanks for everything !

Koopa
01-23-2007, 01:19 AM
i confirmed this hours ago biatch lol..........

Friday133
01-23-2007, 01:20 AM
He's the kinda guy you have a beer with, and Grimm loved to have a beer.

SteelersfaninPhilly
Enjoy Arizona Russ :lol:

Koopa
he's also a guy you don't leave your food unattended around lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 01:24 AM
i confirmed this hours ago biatch lol..........

You didn't confirm jack because it wasn't confirmed then. It was figured to happen but wasn't guaranteed.

Koopa
01-23-2007, 01:25 AM
You didn't confirm jack because it wasn't confirmed then. It was figured to happen but wasn't guaranteed.

when the ice speaks, it's guaranteed.......por favor believe it

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 01:31 AM
When the ice speaks, nobody listens...believe it ! so :nahnah:

Koopa
01-23-2007, 01:31 AM
When the ice speaks, nobody listens...believe it ! so :nahnah:

that's because the truth hurts some..........

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 01:34 AM
Maybe if you actually spoke the truth more people would believe you.

SteelerFan87
01-23-2007, 01:37 AM
I wish Russ the best of luck where ever he goes.

AZ_Steeler
01-23-2007, 01:45 AM
I wish him the best but it would have been good to see him stick around... oh well you can't really blame the guy!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 02:09 AM
Exactly, I mean if you're an Assistant Head Coach and the job above you comes open and you don't get it I'd be ready to leave as well.

Steelerlyn
01-23-2007, 02:16 AM
A few days ago or maybe it was a week ago, (this has been so long) Whiz mentioned while being interviewed in AZ that he woiuld like to bring Grimm in.

Koopa
01-23-2007, 02:27 AM
i think the title of assistant head coach was just that a title, they gave to him right after they took lovie over him, i think it was more of cowher and the rooneys feeling bad for him....... grimm should go to arizona and be a OC so he can have more experince and then maybe he'll be more fit as a head coach, but i think him just be really nothing more then a position coach has hurt him a lot, he needs experince running an actual offense

Ambridge
01-23-2007, 02:39 AM
He's the kinda guy you have a beer with, and Grimm loved to have a beer.

Yes Russ sure does love his beer.
Back in the mid-80's when I first moved to Northern Va. I was in a local bar enjoying a few Happy Hour Beers with some friends and I was fortunate to meet Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby who were sitting at the bar drinking beers and relaxing.
Russ and Joe were regular guys who didn't mind talking with everyone and having fun.
I later found out that those two were the honorary Judges for a bikini contest that the bar was having later in the evening. Lucky Dogs.

Kinda feel bad for Grimm.
He turned up being a pawn in this whole game of "Coach Chess" and he kinda got kicked out in the cold by the Steelers.
Good Luck-Russ

58Lambert
01-23-2007, 02:46 AM
he's also a guy you don't leave your food unattended around lol

:hilarious: :lol: that killed me...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Yes Russ sure does love his beer.
Back in the mid-80's when I first moved to Northern Va. I was in a local bar enjoying a few Happy Hour Beers with some friends and I was fortunate to meet Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby who were sitting at the bar drinking beers and relaxing.
Russ and Joe were regular guys who didn't mind talking with everyone and having fun.
I later found out that those two were the honorary Judges for a bikini contest that the bar was having later in the evening. Lucky Dogs.

Kinda feel bad for Grimm.
He turned up being a pawn in this whole game of "Coach Chess" and he kinda got kicked out in the cold by the Steelers.
Good Luck-Russ

Damn I bet that was like sitting next to 2 Redwoods as big as Joe Jacoby was ! :eek:

I hope Grimm gets an OC gig or atleast gets a fresh start with a team that wants him.