PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin insight from the Minnesota media

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Watching sportsbeat tonight, Stan interviewed a host from FSN North; the affiliate in Minnesota that covers the vikings. A few things they talked about with Mike.

- Very quiet, man of few words, doesn't smile much
- A guy passionate guy when you talk with him one on one but with the media he's more quiet and calm
- Used variations of the 34 defense in Minnesota mixed in with his Cover 2, which the Minnesota media nicknamed the Tomlin 2 defense. A very aggressive, passionate, fiery type of defense that blitzed like crazy. Although they were number 1 against the run they were at the bottom against the pass due in part to personnel in the secondary but also that teams didn't run much against them so they passed more which brought down the numbers overall
- A no nonense, won't put up with any crap type of coach. He's a players coach in terms of being able to relate to the players which was key for the Vikings, but also made sure the players knew what was expected of them and stuck to it.

Koopa
01-22-2007, 11:10 PM
it's good to know we have a head coach for the next 15+ years and not one that will eat and drink himself to an early grave.................

BB2W
01-22-2007, 11:12 PM
I heard Darrin Sharper endorsed him heavily, and is "mourning" the teams loss.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 11:14 PM
The whole Minnesota talked about how much the fans and players will miss him because of good of a job he did with their defense.

BB2W
01-22-2007, 11:18 PM
The whole Minnesota talked about how much the fans and players will miss him because of good of a job he did with their defense.
Apparently, he had quite an impact for just one season. :redcool:

K Train
01-22-2007, 11:20 PM
i cant find anything not to like about the guy

Koopa
01-22-2007, 11:37 PM
i was looking up tony dungy on google, and i saw that before he became a very successful head coach in the nfl, he was a defensive coordinator for the vikings lol

DIESELMAN
01-22-2007, 11:56 PM
it's good to know we have a head coach for the next 15+ years and not one that will eat and drink himself to an early grave.................

LMAO.......I'll take 10 years and not dry up and let the team go to hell.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 12:02 AM
The team followed suit just like when Cowher was hired, taking a 35 yr old defensive coordinator with little coordinator experience and hoping to turn Tomlin into yet another successful Steeler coaching story.

Koopa
01-23-2007, 12:07 AM
except i hope tomlin doesn't pull a choke job year in and year out...........

Ambridge
01-23-2007, 02:55 AM
I hope Tomlin has a "Gritty, Pissed-off Edge" somewhere in his personality. They showed video clips of him yelling at his defensive players in Minnesota but that could change as a head coach.
Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith are great coaches but sometimes look like store mannequins on the sidelines and at any moment a flock of pidgeons can land on them due to lack of movement and general excitement.
I don't wont Tomlin to be like that.

Steelersfan
01-23-2007, 02:59 AM
Me neither! I want him running up and down the sideline yelling at everyone!.....lol Light a fire under their asses!
I'm kind of excited about actually having a new HC! It's not like we have had a ton of them.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-23-2007, 03:26 AM
Just as long as he can motivate the players then I can care less if he is screaming or if he is perfectly calm.

big d
01-23-2007, 07:00 PM
i'm originally from minnesota. I watch the vikings play when the steelers arent on. This guy completly transformed the viking defense. I would expect he is going to do the same here

BBG7
01-24-2007, 10:09 AM
I heard a Vikes reporter saying they should have fired their HC and hired Tomlin before we did.
They also said the player were very upset. They really loved Tomlin and hate to see him go after only one year with them.

AZ_Steeler
01-24-2007, 10:47 AM
He sounds like someone the Steelers desperately need... a no-nonsense type of guy who's not going to take any crap! :cope: This should whip the team back into shape and forget about any Super Bowl they played in! :D

House of Steel
01-24-2007, 10:50 AM
I am excited as hell and very pumped up for this upcoming Training Camp and season. I would love to hop with anyone going on a day trip to Latrobe to watch the Steelers. I would absolutely embrace that big time. My dream is to one season stay in Latrobe for the entire training camp and watch them do their stuff. Has to be interesting to watch and learn.

BBG7
01-24-2007, 11:44 AM
you're right HoS. The upcoming training camp should be very interesting. It will be cool to see how the players respond to Tomlin and some of his coaching style. I am thinking about going on a day trip but if not, I hope members on the board that go keep us well informed!