PDA

View Full Version : Do you risk bringing back Willie Colon in 2012?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2012, 06:25 PM
The Steelers have a decision to make with Willie Colon for next season. Do you bring him back and risk another season where he could get injured again? He's spent the last 2 years on IR. His contract is for 5 years, $29 million (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/willie-colon/) with a signing bonus of 6 million spread out over the life of the contract. Unless they restructure the deal they would only save less than 1 million if he was cut.

Maybe you bring him back to play RT and move Gilbert to LT, which is what many think will be the case. Use J. Scott as a backup to Colon and look for RT in the draft. I know you can't predict the future but if goes down again then you're back at square one with playing musical chairs.

On the other hand you can just cut ties with him and move on but then you're forced into drafting a Tackle when Guard is a higher priority IMO. Drafting both would be ideal but factor in the need at possibly NT and Middle Linebacker and you run into a serious debate.

JollyRob68
02-09-2012, 06:39 PM
They don't really have a choice based on his cap hit. I would however restructure his contract and lower his base salary. I would however cut J. Scott and sign MAx Starks with that 2.2 mil and Keep him on Pup list as insurance while he gets back into shape. I'd also Restructure Hampton's contract or Just cut him. In Fact I'll be honest I'd cut Hampton and move on. I liked Hoke better (retired) and Hampton admitted to not studying.
We'll see how well Al woods does with a full off season with The Steelers as well as Corbin Bryant. Time for a Youth movement.

tburg68
02-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Gilbert to LT, Colon at RT, draft two stud G's and build a respectable OL. Better upgrade G's soon or Pouncey's career will be short lived.

Nolrog
02-09-2012, 08:53 PM
I think we should bring him back. If he can stay healthy (I realize a big if), he's an upgrade. For 1 million dollars, I'd take that risk (plus, if we could restrucutre him, we could potentially save that anyway.)

LevonKirkland99
02-09-2012, 09:03 PM
I think they probably will keep Colon....not sure who will they draft though a DT or Guard? hopefully Dontari Poe is available in the first round...

Raleigh Steel
02-09-2012, 09:08 PM
They don't really have a choice based on his cap hit. I would however restructure his contract and lower his base salary. I would however cut J. Scott and sign MAx Starks with that 2.2 mil and Keep him on Pup list as insurance while he gets back into shape. I'd also Restructure Hampton's contract or Just cut him. In Fact I'll be honest I'd cut Hampton and move on. I liked Hoke better (retired) and Hampton admitted to not studying.

...what he said!

Number99
02-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Draft Poe if available then an OG in the 2nd. Cut Hampton if he doesnt take a pay cut. Cut Scott and keep Starks and Gilbert at OT. Move Colon to RG and keep Essex, Foster and Legursky as back ups. Just MHO. So sorta what JollyRob68 said but adjusted a little.

JollyRob68
02-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Draft Poe if available then an OG in the 2nd. Cut Hampton if he doesnt take a pay cut. Cut Scott and keep Starks and Gilbert at OT. Move Colon to RG and keep Essex, Foster and Legursky as back ups. Just MHO. So sorta what JollyRob68 said but adjusted a little.
:)
We may lose Essex because he wants to Start. I'd like to have Him Back as a swing guy or let him come fight for a spot. I've always been a fan of Foster.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Essex may want to go but I doubt anybody would really give him the chance to start. He's like a Doug Legursky right now, very serviceable as a utility lineman but when you put him in as a starter out of necessity or otherwise he's average. That being said somebody could come in and offer him more money but I'd be mildly surprised if they did.

madtowndrunkard
02-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Essex may want to go but I doubt anybody would really give him the chance to start. He's like a Doug Legursky right now, very serviceable as a utility lineman but when you put him in as a starter out of necessity or otherwise he's average. That being said somebody could come in and offer him more money but I'd be mildly surprised if they did.

I'm anxious to see what Haley does with this O-line. Will he bring in his own O-line coach? Any word on the supporting cast Haley will be using?

cmerrifield
02-10-2012, 08:39 AM
I think we have to bring him back, the risk is worth the reward, we wont save enough money to be worth the risk of him playing well. If he works out and Gilbert does well at LT, our oline could be in pretty good shape if we draft one interior guy, Gilbert, Draft pick, Pouncey, Foster, Colon is a good line, not elite, but it will seem elite after the first part of last year.

Callax
02-10-2012, 10:07 AM
I still do not think he is this wonderful tackle... TELL HIM HE WILL PLAY GUARD OR HE WILL NOT PLAY OR GET PAID!!!

LatrobePA
02-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Cut his ***!!

K Train
02-10-2012, 11:10 AM
i think bringing him back and moving him to guard is their best option to get ther money worth

BlitzburghRockCity
02-12-2012, 03:14 PM
We've been saying for years that he should play at Guard, but the last 2 years of him being on IR are enough to make me question his worth to this team going forward. He's another one, like Kemo and Essex, that have hung around too long.

Zachintosh66
02-12-2012, 03:39 PM
re-do contract, see what he has left... not much reason to cut him unless were desperate for $. A rehabbing Colon is still better than half the jokers on our OL roster anyways.

NYCsteelersfan
02-14-2012, 12:41 AM
He's another one, like Kemo and Essex, that have hung around too long.

Useless lard, all three of them.

coldrolled
02-14-2012, 09:42 AM
we been saying to use a fullback in short yeardage for years too..

K Train
02-14-2012, 10:57 AM
We've been saying for years that he should play at Guard, but the last 2 years of him being on IR are enough to make me question his worth to this team going forward. He's another one, like Kemo and Essex, that have hung around too long.

hes actually a good player though....the injuries are a concern, but he was very durable before them hopefully he can regain that...hes still the best RT and probabbly the best RG we have on the roster

BlitzburghRockCity
02-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Even after 2 years of being on IR, you think he's still better than Foster at RG? I would think as of now they'd be pretty much even if for no other reason than he hasn't been in much game action in 2 years. Foster has been in almost every snap.

tburg68
02-14-2012, 02:07 PM
The Steelers sorry *** guards are getting Pouncey killed. Colon is better than any G they have on the roster, by far. Depending on what OL options are there in round two, the Steelers should take two OL in first two rounds if the value is equal to the pick. If they go G & T, move Colon to G. If they go G & G, Colon plays RT, Gilbert LT. Then the offense can prosper with a decent line.

NYCsteelersfan
02-14-2012, 07:53 PM
The Steelers sorry *** guards are getting Pouncey killed. Colon is better than any G they have on the roster, by far. Depending on what OL options are there in round two, the Steelers should take two OL in first two rounds if the value is equal to the pick. If they go G & T, move Colon to G. If they go G & G, Colon plays RT, Gilbert LT. Then the offense can prosper with a decent line.

Unless we're dipping into free agency, I would take OL in the first and second round even if their value is below the pick.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-16-2012, 11:49 AM
I would like to think that Colon can be a better guard than Kemo or Foster but having not seen him play in nearly 2 years I can't say that right now. Foster proved he can be a good Guard when he has a good Tackle beside him. He and Flozell worked great last year. I think Gilbert can work into that role and be a dominant force with Ramon on the right side.

The left side is all kinds of questionable right now; if they don't address it early on draft day there is something seriously wrong.

K Train
02-16-2012, 11:56 AM
I would like to think that Colon can be a better guard than Kemo or Foster but having not seen him play in nearly 2 years I can't say that right now. Foster proved he can be a good Guard when he has a good Tackle beside him. He and Flozell worked great last year. I think Gilbert can work into that role and be a dominant force with Ramon on the right side.

The left side is all kinds of questionable right now; if they don't address it early on draft day there is something seriously wrong.

colon played actually pretty great in preseason, he looked pretty dominant...hopefully he can regain that.

im becoming more and more impressed with mike adams....6-7 325 he has jonathan odgen-lite potential imo. insane athlete for his size but a natural tackle. adams and gilbert would be sexy at tackle

after that its glenn and konz for me on the oline....but i cant see adams slipping to us at this point

foster is a very poor mans colon, i have no doubt colon could be a better guard than foster

CowherPower
02-16-2012, 03:38 PM
There's no doubt that any of the offensive line positions can be improved; with the exception of Pouncey and Gilbert, both of whom are long term starters in my opinion.

I would like to see Colon regain that dominant form and more importantly stay healthy. He plays mean, has a real attitude on the field which I love; just gotta find a way to keep him out there but that salary won't help his cause.