PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like This Hire and Why? Or Don't You Like The Hire & Why?

Steelerlyn
01-22-2007, 06:19 PM
I missed the first part where he made his introductory speech, because my dog ran away this afternoon. I did get something from the Q & A

Random thought and quotes...

- Promises a hard work ethic. A blue collar approach but we also want to be thoughtful in our approach about how to achieve our goals.

- Not surprised by the interview process, he had mentally prepared himself for everything that could happen.

- Embraces the pressure that he faces coaching a team a season removed from a Super Bowl win.

- Dick LeBeau will stay, nothing else is confirmed regarding assistants, he is familiar with much of the existing staff. Has not spoken to Grimm. Consistency is a factor in maintaining a coaching staff but not the only factor, he is looking for good coaches first and foremost.

- When asked 3-4 or 4-3 he said "We will play to the strengths and capabilities of these players, in many respects X's and O's are overrated, you play to the strengths of your players" Also acknowledged that anyone would want to have Dick LeBeau on their staff. All coaches have to be flexible schematically to fit in with what our players do well.

- Promises an offense by attrition, both physically and mentally. Again he stressed toughness and quality players and he expects a hunger and a desire to win from his players. He says their has to be a mutual respect between coach and players to get the job done.

- He is impatient to win, it taking all this in and feels blessed to be here. He fully appreciates the city and the pride they have in the team.

- Acknowledges the significance of becoming the first black coach in Steelers history on the day that two of his close mentors made it to the
Super Bowl

- Heading to Mobile tomorrow first and foremost to scout players - he'll meet with some coaches but it's the players and the scouting he is going down there for. Meeting coaches down there is overrated (!)

- He's going to take a fundamental approach with Ben, to stress the fundamentals. Excited to work with a talented franchise QB like him who has been through a lot in his first three years in the league

- Consistency is the key, he agrees with the organization when they say they don't want to win infrequently, we want to win every year.

- A historian of the game but tries not to compare himself to Noll or Cowher. He respects the history but acknowledges a new era and hopefully an era where one day a coach will get to stand on his shoulders and take things further again. Men like the Rooney's want to win every year.

My thoughts: Very impressive man. Didn't resort to soundbites or anything, the thing I'll take away from this is that he gets it, he knows this is a special situation in the league, he appreciates the special place that this team has in the hearts of it's citizens, and he knows what he wants to achieve. Hard work starts now, time will tell but you know that to get this job you have to be a special kind of coach and I think that the Rooney's see that Mike Tomlin has the potential to be a very special coach in this league. He'll be different, I don't think he will be a fireball like Cowher was, but I think you will see a more mental approach than a physical approach in the future, without the physical side of the game diminishing in any way. He came across as thoughtful, honest, open and level headed and I'll take those traits over fire and brimstone any day of the week.

Stairwayto7
01-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Well he sounds like us! He knows what a Steelers team is! He knows what is expected, now he has to deliver!

He is young, I like that! Seems like a players coach,and one of the guys , like bill? I`m not sure!

He has zero time to make an impact, it has to be right away! We have to much talent to not make the playoffs this year! Hines isnt getting any younger, Faneca, Porter , Farrior, . This is alot of pressure. But not everyone gets to take over a team with this much talent, especially at 34 years old.

Tomlin seemed to be a good rooney choice, he is young, a Pittsburgh native, and he understands the Steelers system, run & defense.
:crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

BB2W
01-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Yes, I definitely like the hire as of now... day one. He hasn't had the chance to produce yet, but I like what he says and how he carries himself. I have a feeling he will be successfull here.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm really excited about his hire. I can't wait for the season. Like Lyn said in her post he seems to put alot of stock in having intelligent football players but at the sametime still having that physical approach. I like the fact to that he is keeping Coach LeBeau. The two of them together could really make this defense special.

K Train
01-22-2007, 07:11 PM
- When asked 3-4 or 4-3 he said "We will play to the strengths and capabilities of these players, in many respects X's and O's are overrated, you play to the strengths of your players" Also acknowledged that anyone would want to have Dick LeBeau on their staff. All coaches have to be flexible schematically to fit in with what our players do well.

This is it right here...this is the quote that everyone was worried about and this is what sold him on me

SteelersWoman
01-22-2007, 07:11 PM
This might sound ridiculous, but the FIRST thing I noticed is that he (appropriately) wore a black suit with a gold tie ;) Good start! lol

After that, I noticed that he handled himself with relative ease--and smiled enough to let you know he's excited. His plans sound like he's already on the right track.

It would take a VERY gutsy guy to take over this team--I'm not sure everyone would feel that they could live up to what's expected, so he gets extra points from me for having that confidence at such a young age--all without being arrogant.

All in all, I was very impressed.

DIESELMAN
01-22-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm excited and looking forward to this season(more then if Cowher was still here).

Mike Tomlin is first and foremost a good person. That is the first test that you have to pass, and Mike certainly passed that test with flying colors. I think in addition to that Mikeís core values are a good match for our organization.This is one of the reasons the interview process took so long, we got to have someone who fits the Steelers value wise. How many teams just hire a coach like they're picking up a pack of hotdogs at the store. Its a thought process that the Rooneys have established a loooooong time ago.

Thereís a report you will keep Dick LeBeau. Is that true, and what about the other assistant coaches here?

I will confirm that Thats the best part right there, keeping Lebeau and the way his mind thinks on defense...Look out NFL!!!!!

I think part of good coaching is doing what your guys do and what they do well. Weíll maximize what theyíre capable of doing, and if that means sitting some personal preferences and beliefs schematically aside, Iím willing to do that. Xs and Os can be overrated at times. Thats so very true....anyone can draw X's and O's on a chalkboard, its all about knowing what your players strenghths and weaknesses are.

Iím not a very patient person. I donít know anybody thatís successful in this business, from a coaching standpoint, thatís very patient. I likes that also....he'll be demanding results immediately.

What are your thoughts on Ben Roethlisberger and how do you plan to use him?

Heís a franchise quarterback. Like any other position and any other player on this team, we need to be fundamentalists in how we approach our business. We need to be students of the game. I look forward to working with Ben in that regard. Iím excited about having an opportunity to work with a young man who is talented who has also had some of the life experiences of being a professional athlete that he has had. Heís a world champion.
Sweet!!!! Ben get ready to do some work before the season begins!!

For the skeptics, why should they feel good about Mike Tomlin being the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers?

I promise that Iím going to blue collar on how I approach this. I will work truly hard and we will work smart.
Welcome to the Steelers Mike Tomlin!!!!! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

K Train
01-22-2007, 07:23 PM
The thing i like about the whole situation is he is young and hungry for success. And its not like we are a scrub team that has 5 years of rebuilding to do, we have a championship roster and a front office that keeps it that way....success is very possible early in tomlins career

Iron City South
01-22-2007, 07:34 PM
The guy has a certain swaggar .... a confident attitude about him and very articulate. He carries some old school "tough guy" with him, yet you know he's all about a brand new day.

He said three things that stood out to me. Here are the 3 quotes:

"What we are going to do is promise to have a first-class, blue collar work ethic in how we approach our business."

It's going to be our goal to be prepared to contend for the Super Bowl every year."

and

"Winning divisions is hardware you pick up along the way to championships."

Needless to say, I think he is a man of integrity and I like him ..... a lot. :tt02:

K Train
01-22-2007, 07:39 PM
he knows he has fallen into a good situation, like ive said before....everyone wants this job, good team, good FO, good history, great fans. He should feel very confident about him being chosen above all the rest....confidence is a must have for coaching...he has been around the game and i hope we can help jum start his career to be a long, successful one

BlitzburghNation
01-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Especially after hearing his Press Conference on Sirius :clap:
My first choice was The Whiz,But maybe the Rooney's knew something I didn't
But I do like what Mike Tolmlin has been saying & how he's gonna run this team :tt02: :clap: :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Ive already said my thoughts multiple times so I won't go through them again. Let's just hope he sticks to the promises he made of hard work, dedication, fundamentals, running the ball, stopping the run, etc. and hope for the best.

It's very possible he could have alot of success in 2007, it's also possible we could struggle especially early on.

K Train
01-22-2007, 08:36 PM
it's also possible we could struggle especially early on.

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: lol

House of Steel
01-22-2007, 08:53 PM
I am very excited to hear about Mike Tomlin becoming our 3rd Head Coach since 1969.

I am sold on a lot of these quotes you all mentioned. The biggest thing that sold me was his intentions of keeping Dick LeBeau in charge of the defense. We got two defensive masterminders, and you imagine when you put them two together in the same room to strategize the defense, your talking about a whole new leash of hell ready to be unleashed on the whole entire NFL. I love his swagger and his attitude. Makes me feel confident and proud to be a Black n Gold Bleeder of the Steelers. I am so pumped and ready for the 2007 season to get here. WE ARE IN FOR A HELL OF A RIDE!!! THE MIKE TOMLIN ERA BEGINS NOW!!! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Friday133
01-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Well he sounds like us! He knows what a Steelers team is! He knows what is expected, now he has to deliver!

He is young, I like that! Seems like a players coach,and one of the guys , like bill? I`m not sure!

He has zero time to make an impact, it has to be right away! We have to much talent to not make the playoffs this year! Hines isnt getting any younger, Faneca, Porter , Farrior, . This is alot of pressure. But not everyone gets to take over a team with this much talent, especially at 34 years old.

Tomlin seemed to be a good rooney choice, he is young, a Pittsburgh native, and he understands the Steelers system, run & defense.
:crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

Are you sure he's a Pittsburgh native? I've read nothing of the sort. He's from Virginia actually, no ties to Pittsburgh. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tomlin)

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 09:19 PM
:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: lol

and if/when Im right I'll be coming back to you too ! :lol:

Steelerlyn
01-22-2007, 09:19 PM
I thought the same thing when I read that. I know in his interview he said he came to Pittsburgh once and rode the incline and also said he played with some guys from William & Mary, or coached some guys somewhere, who lived in or around Pittsburgh, however, I do not recall him saying he was from Pittsburgh. I do know he has a ring, he was secondary coach for the Bucs when they won the superbowl.

BB2W
01-22-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm liking this hire more by the hour... I can't wait for the Tomlin era to begin!