PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rooney comes out and says Grimm was never offered the job...

Troyisabeast_43
01-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Just saw an interview with him on the local news here and he said the article that Mike Prisuta wrote about hiring Grimm over the weekend. He said Grimm was never offered the job or anything like that. He said he would not compromise his integrity and come out and make a statement like that. So there you have it. It appeared to be Tomlin over Grimm the whole time.

Koopa
01-22-2007, 05:49 PM
pittsburgh tribune sucks lol........post gazette>>>>>>> tribune lol

Hburg
01-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Koopa called it. The Tribune was the paper that started this mini-hoopla over the weekend in the first place.

BuFu

Steelerlyn
01-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Just saw an interview with him on the local news here and he said the article that Mike Prisuta wrote about hiring Grimm over the weekend. He said Grimm was never offered the job or anything like that. He said he would not compromise his integrity and come out and make a statement like that. So there you have it. It appeared to be Tomlin over Grimm the whole time.

That shows me that the Rooney's wanted to clean house at least to some extent and Grimm was simply given the courtesy of an interview.
With all the coaching openings perhaps he will get a HC job somewhere or he join Whiz in AZ.

Koopa
01-22-2007, 05:58 PM
maybe grimm will end up in dallas lol....texas is already the fattest state in america i think, so he'll fit right in lol

PITT23
01-22-2007, 06:03 PM
pittsburgh tribune sucks lol........post gazette>>>>>>> tribune lol

Agreed (at least in the sports department...my dad says the rest of it is just crap)

AZ_Steeler
01-22-2007, 06:11 PM
This explains the 6 hour interview for Grimm, they felt sorry for him so they showed him a good time :lol:

SteelerFan87
01-22-2007, 06:18 PM
That's a ****** way to deal with Grimm, IMO. I hope he gets a good job somewhere.

PITT23
01-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Just because they never offered him a job doesn't mean they never gave him a chance if thats what some of you are thinking.

Prosdo
01-22-2007, 06:22 PM
That's why I always stick with the Post-Gazette

SteelersWoman
01-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Maybe the interview with Russ lasted so long because they were desperately trying to FIND a reason to hire him over Mike. They might've thought if it went on long enough, that some "gem" would pop up--something would be said that would make them all go "Yeah--THIS is our guy"!

Troyisabeast_43
01-22-2007, 08:46 PM
The fact that Grimm interviewed for 6 hours was actually an indictment against him and not something that helped him in the end. Grimm in my opinion just looked as if he just had to show up for this job as if the Rooney's already knew him and that he didnt need to make a good impression. That's why he came in and dressed like absolute crap with a wrinkled up sports coat with a flannel shirt underneath it as compared to Tomlin who went all out with the suit and tie. Grimm was too much of a Cowher cloan and since this hire at Art Rooney's fingerprints written all over it he didnot wanted to wash his hands completely of anything Bill Cowher had left over. Plus the two had a big falling out as we all know about. Rumor also has it getting back to Grimm that they had him show up at the Steelers offices last week at 7 in the morning because he has a drinking problem and they wanted to make sure he could get up and get in there on time as a test. I know it sounds crazy but I have a person who works for the Steelers who I know that told me that's true. Tomlin clearly appears to be the better choice when you break all the intangibles down. I have no doubt after listening to him today he will be successful immediately with the way he approaches the game. I feel he is just what the Steelers need to get that 6th Super Bowl Title.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Grimm has interviewed for HC positions alot ...tells ya something...

PITT23
01-22-2007, 08:54 PM
I've also heard that Grimm may have been too good of buddies with some of the players. Putting him in a position where he would then need to yell and scream at those same guys he use to be pals with would be very tough. Of course, the same could be said of Tomlin being too young to command respect but I'm just saying that is another possible reason.

Koopa
01-22-2007, 08:57 PM
lmao, the fat *** is a drunk too.................now it's for sure that the rooney's made the right decision

Troyisabeast_43
01-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Lovie Smith beat him out for the Bears job and now Tomlin beat him out for this job. It tells you that Grimm is lacking something because he has been around too long to have not gotten a head coaching job at this point in his career. I wish Grimm nothing but the best but when you break everything down in the end as far as hiring Tomlin compared to Grimm the Steelers clearly made the right choice. Grimm was just too much like Cowher I feel and the Rooney's just didnot want that when all was said and done.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Actually this doesn't tell me anything about him not being in running, what it tells me and what Stan said on sportsbeat and after the press conference was that Grimm and Mike were neck and neck, but Grimm was given every opportunity to get the job, hence the extra long interview just to make sure but when I came right down to it they chose Tomlin because of his personality and people skills as well as his football resume & potential over keeping someone close to the BC regime in Grimm who was his assistant HC.

Koopa
01-22-2007, 09:38 PM
i bet grimm is hating dungy cause both of his boys took his job lol.......poor grimm, oakland awaits you..........i can't wait till tomlin is the second black coach to be holding that superbowl trophy

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 09:39 PM
oh STFU already will ya ! :lol:

Steelerlyn
01-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Lovie Smith beat him out for the Bears job and now Tomlin beat him out for this job. It tells you that Grimm is lacking something because he has been around too long to have not gotten a head coaching job at this point in his career. I wish Grimm nothing but the best but when you break everything down in the end as far as hiring Tomlin compared to Grimm the Steelers clearly made the right choice. Grimm was just too much like Cowher I feel and the Rooney's just didnot want that when all was said and done.

I think you are probably right on.

Friday133
01-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Grimm is a big drinker, I've seen him at some bars in the North Hills. A co-worker of mine was drinking with him last Friday. :beer1: :beer4: :drunk: :beer3:

Steelerlyn
01-22-2007, 09:46 PM
i bet grimm is hating dungy cause both of his boys took his job lol.......poor grimm, oakland awaits you..........i can't wait till tomlin is the second black coach to be holding that superbowl trophy

Koop, let's be the first Steeler site on the net to raise the bar here at Steeler Addicts and keep the race card out of all this, we want to see Tomlin raise the trophy because he worked to deserve it. :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-22-2007, 11:57 PM

Oaklad is out too. Dang Koopa race has nothing to do with it.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2007, 12:00 AM
That's just koopa being a pain in the butt again ;)

Troyisabeast_43
01-23-2007, 12:02 AM
If you listen to Mike Tomlin you can sense that he has a sense of control and that Tomlin commands a room and I think that Russ Grimm didnt. You can just feel it with Tomlin today with his presence and the charisma that he carries that he is just a leader of men. You could have listened to Tomlin talk today for 2-3 hours at his News Conference and not get bored, as to where you could have listen to Russ Grimm for 5 minutes and you probably would have been ready to stab youself. I think when all was said and done when push came to shove the Rooney's saw that Tomlin had that lack of nervouness and charisma and demeanor about him and that Russ Grimm didnt.

Koopa
01-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Oaklad is out too. Dang Koopa race has nothing to do with it.

it may have nothing to do with it, but it still doesn't change the fact that he will be the second black coach to hold the trophy whether you like it or not

Koopa
01-23-2007, 12:10 AM
If you listen to Mike Tomlin you can sense that he has a sense of control and that Tomlin commands a room and I think that Russ Grimm didnt. You can just feel it with Tomlin today with his presence and the charisma that he carries that he is just a leader of men. You could have listened to Tomlin talk today for 2-3 hours at his News Conference and not get bored, as to where you could have listen to Russ Grimm for 5 minutes and you probably would have been ready to stab youself. I think when all was said and done when push came to shove the Rooney's saw that Tomlin had that lack of nervouness and charisma and demeanor about him and that Russ Grimm didnt.

yeah, i was hoping the press conference was longer lol, except he kept biting his bottom lip lol.......

and you can't listen to grimm for more then 5 mins cause he'll be eating by then lol

augustashark
01-23-2007, 02:10 AM
And people wonder why mods come down on them. Don't make me say it again.

Cut the crap both of you!

Is that so hard to understand!

Just seen this post.

Don't want to start no WWIII, so I will just move on.

Sorry Steelersfan.

Steelersfan
01-23-2007, 02:14 AM
It's not like I have all night to keep deleting posts.

Ambridge
01-23-2007, 02:28 AM
Russ Grimm----Likes to drink=A Pittsburgh Kinda Guy.

Steelersfan
01-23-2007, 02:29 AM
Well hell! I like to drink too! I'm drinking right now and I thought I handled that quite well.....lol

Ambridge
01-23-2007, 02:35 AM
Well hell! I like to drink too! I'm drinking right now and I thought I handled that quite well.....lol

Drinking at 2:30 in the morning. Ohh! The memories.

Steelersfan
01-23-2007, 02:36 AM
Ya well, I work nights so you can drink at any hour....lol

Black@Gold Forever32
01-23-2007, 03:06 AM

I'll take a drink.lol