PDA

View Full Version : Moving Pouncey to Guard

JollyRob68
02-08-2012, 03:51 PM
What does everyone think about moving M.Pouncey to Guard and picking up a starting Center? With the injuries that Pouncey and his backup Legurski sustained perhaps grabbing a Center and putting our Pro Bowl Center at Guard would solve many of the lines problems. By drafting a Center/Guard it will allow us to Draft Defense in the 1st,Center in 2nd,DEfense in 3rd,Defense in the 4th,TE in the 5th,RT in the 6st, FB,Punter & Kicker 7th.

We need OL,ILB,NT,FS/SS and can always use a CB!FB,TE and Punter & Kicker. Moving Pouncey would be a nice option. Centers to draft Peter Konz,Ben Jones & Mike Brewster.

What DO you guys Think? Grab a Center or there will be enough Guards in the 2nd round?

K Train
02-08-2012, 04:09 PM
this is a very good guard draft...decastro, glenn, osemele, washington, zeitler

the only center that i would consider taking in order to move pouncey would be konz though

JollyRob68
02-08-2012, 04:29 PM
this is a very good guard draft...decastro, glenn, osemele, washington, zeitler

the only center that i would consider taking in order to move pouncey would be konz though

I was hoping I'd here from you. I value your insight. Will any of those Guards be there in the 2nd round when we pick? I've seen some mocks that have Dre Kirkpatrick slipping past us. He would be hard to bypass regardless of who else is still on the board. I'd love to get Adams,Taz,Hightower,Konz,Kirkpatrick o rBarron. If we got Barron I'd move Troy to Free and help reduce his injuries.

Nolrog
02-08-2012, 04:39 PM
What does everyone think about moving M.Pouncey to Guard and picking up a starting Center?

No. You don't take one of the best centers in football and move him to guard. The Steelers would be much better served with Pouncy and a drafted guard than a drafted center and Pouncey.

K Train
02-08-2012, 05:14 PM
I was hoping I'd here from you. I value your insight. Will any of those Guards be there in the 2nd round when we pick? I've seen some mocks that have Dre Kirkpatrick slipping past us. He would be hard to bypass regardless of who else is still on the board. I'd love to get Adams,Taz,Hightower,Konz,Kirkpatrick o rBarron. If we got Barron I'd move Troy to Free and help reduce his injuries.

dre could be a FS or CB for us...i doubt he falls that far, his weed charges were dismissed (they were minimal anyway)

Washington, Osemele, and Zeitler could all possibly be there in the second....Decastro is a top 15 pick and Glenn is a first rounder.

Konz is a first rounder and Brewster could be a SOLID pickup in the second.

and i disagree about it being a bad move to move one of the "best centers in football" hes such a unique center and while very good konz has the ability to be a more traditional center like alex mack and while yes you shake things up along the line (what else is new?) but you turn one of the best centers in the league into possibly THE best guard in the league and konz takes over C as a top 7 guy himself.

the oline rankings are all over the place right now for me, the combine will say a lot more about ranking these top 10-12 olinemen

JollyRob68
02-09-2012, 08:00 AM
No. You don't take one of the best centers in football and move him to guard. The Steelers would be much better served with Pouncy and a drafted guard than a drafted center and Pouncey.

The main Reason I ask this question is because Pouncey hasn't Played in the Last two Playoff games. 1 Playoff & The Super Bowl. I think we need to have a Healthy Center and perhaps moving him to guard might help keep that ankle Healthier. Remember Pouncey Played Guard then moved to Center at UF so he can play guard and I think he'd be a Pro Bowl Guard. However it does seem like this draft will have more Guards and Tackles to choose from.

LatrobePA
02-09-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm hoping with a new OC will come some new quick hitter type pass plays, that way our oline doesn't have to block for 5 seconds + on every pass play thus keeping them healthy..

OldSchool58
02-09-2012, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Pouncy at guard. It would be nice to see a smaller, faster guard that could pull and trap. That, with fullback would really bring the run game to life and open up more opps for passing. Plus I don't think Pouncy is the pissing and moaning type. As long as he's getting paid and playing I think he'd go where ever they put him.

JollyRob68
02-09-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm hoping with a new OC will come some new quick hitter type pass plays, that way our oline doesn't have to block for 5 seconds + on every pass play thus keeping them healthy..

I agree quicker passes would Keep Ben Heathy.

JollyRob68
02-09-2012, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Pouncy at guard. It would be nice to see a smaller, faster guard that could pull and trap. That, with fullback would really bring the run game to life and open up more opps for passing. Plus I don't think Pouncy is the pissing and moaning type. As long as he's getting paid and playing I think he'd go where ever they put him.

I think he would be a Nasty Guard and not being in the middle of the pile could keep his ankle from bodies falling onto it.

JoeSteelerFan
02-09-2012, 11:36 PM

Pouncey is way overrated at this early point of his career. Don't get me wrong, I like him, but he's got a lot to prove before I consider him "one of the best centers in football". I think many were too quick to annoint him the next "anchor" for the Steelers.

Admittedly, the bullshit he pulled on Twitter immediately after the loss to Denver didn't help endear himself to me. Does a dude making a few mil a year really need to peddle t-shirts on Twitter 5 mins. after an extremely disappointing loss? .... then have the stones to attack a few fans for calling him out on it?

IMMATURITY ....

K Train
02-10-2012, 11:19 AM
his twitter and his on field play could literally not have less to do with each other.

easily a top 3 center, hes spectacular but would be better at guard imo

JollyRob68
02-10-2012, 12:08 PM
his twitter and his on field play could literally not have less to do with each other.

easily a top 3 center, hes spectacular but would be better at guard imo

K Train, would you rather have Pouncey & Glenn,Konz & Pouncey, Pouncey & Washington, Pouncey & Osemele?
POuncey & MIke Brewster?

K Train
02-10-2012, 01:29 PM
K Train, would you rather have Pouncey & Glenn,Konz & Pouncey, Pouncey & Washington, Pouncey & Osemele?
POuncey & MIke Brewster?

konz at C and pouncey at G would be the same to me as Pouncey at C and Glenn at G.

My thing with this question is the value of when we get them....im THRILLED with Osemele, Washington, and Zeitler in round 2 but likely furious with them in round one...but if we get one of them in 2 and land Taze, Adams, Poe...ect in 1 im ok with it.

Likewise i love glenn and konz in round one, but i would also like to land dennard, hightower, crick, or taamu in 2 or better yet make it washington, osemele, brewster or zeitler still and just overhall the interior line completely.

My happiness through the first 3 picks is always weighted heavily on each other

JollyRob68
02-10-2012, 04:28 PM
konz at C and pouncey at G would be the same to me as Pouncey at C and Glenn at G.

My thing with this question is the value of when we get them....im THRILLED with Osemele, Washington, and Zeitler in round 2 but likely furious with them in round one...but if we get one of them in 2 and land Taze, Adams, Poe...ect in 1 im ok with it.

Likewise i love glenn and konz in round one, but i would also like to land dennard, hightower, crick, or taamu in 2 or better yet make it washington, osemele, brewster or zeitler still and just overhall the interior line completely.

My happiness through the first 3 picks is always weighted heavily on each other

Agreed:)

coldrolled
02-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Konz at center pouncey at guard.. injury moves pouncey to center.... i like it. plus you get the #1 center in the draft. Pouncey is versatile and may blocks better in the run as a guard.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-14-2012, 04:51 PM
I would love David Decastro in the first round but I think that is a pipe dream at this point.......I want Adams or Konz at this point in the first round......I agree with you about Osemele, Washington, and Zeitler in round 2.......If the Steelers do not go OL in the first....What is the bigger need ILB or NT?....Of course you know me I would be fine if a WR like Michael Floyd in the first round if he was there when the Steelers pick.....lol You can never have enough weapons for your QB.....lol

JollyRob68
02-14-2012, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=Black@Gold Forever32;486394]I...What is the bigger need ILB or NT?....

WIth Ziggy being able to play NT I'd want Taz or Hightower if we cant get a top lineman. It's being said that this draft is deep at Guard. So taking a DL,ILB,SS/FS in the first is good with me.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-14-2012, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=Black@Gold Forever32;486394]I...What is the bigger need ILB or NT?....

WIth Ziggy being able to play NT I'd want Taz or Hightower if we cant get a top lineman. It's being said that this draft is deep at Guard. So taking a DL,ILB,SS/FS in the first is good with me.

I hope the Steelers get a top OL....Its time to start filling the OL with top draft picks...Pouncey and Gilbert are a start but the trend must continue....You're right its a deep draft for OG so if the Steelers can't get Decastro then yea wait to draft an OG until round 2 or later......But Mike Adams or Peter Konz I wouldn't in the first round....I agree about ILB and I rather see an ILB drafted instead of a NT......

K Train
02-14-2012, 09:32 PM
id rather see burfict over poe, but poe over hightower, but hightower over taamu

but any of them would be good fits.....just the value of where were taking them

MDSteel15
02-15-2012, 11:39 AM
I think if he bulks up, David Molk, C, Michigan, would be a steal in the middle rounds! He got awarded Best Center this year.

$teelersRule
02-18-2012, 11:21 PM
I think if he bulks up, David Molk, C, Michigan, would be a steal in the middle rounds! He got awarded Best Center this year.

So did A.Q. Shipley and whatever happened to that guy? hahaha I dont know much about Molk though but i just found the award thing kind of funny.