PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 19th best next year??

$teelersRule
02-08-2012, 03:59 AM
According to this "expert" the Steelers will come in around 19th next year behind the likes of the Seahawks, Jets, Falcons Cowboys, Broncos, Titans, Bengals, Cardinals, Eagles, and Panthers… this "expert" has the Steelers sharing similar seasons with teams like the Colts and Vikings. It really bothers me that this guy actually gets paid to write garbage like this… Just thought you guys might find it interesting, maybe a little maddening like myself.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2012-predictions-Baltimore-Ravens-Green-Bay-Packers-Super-Bowl-XLVII-020612

Just so you dont have to click this is what was said about the "trending downward Steelers" (that were AGAIN 12-4 last year)
Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers finished with the third best record in the AFC in 2011 but showed their age.

James Farrior, Troy Polamalu and Hines Ward are clearly not the players they once were, the offensive line was a mess, and injuries to Ben Roethlisberger, Casey Hampton and Rashard Mendenhall hampered the team down the stretch.

The Steelers are only getting older, and outside of a few positions (wide receiver, linebacker), it’s about time to start looking to refresh and upgrade the depth chart across the board.

Todd Haley is an interesting hire as the new offensive coordinator, and we’ll see how he gels with Big Ben.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-08-2012, 04:39 AM
I can't say I'd agree that there are 19 other teams in the NFL that are trending better than the Steelers are. Or that the Steelers are only the 19th best team in the league. Both of those statements are a crock.

He is right that the Steelers do need some youth injected in key areas but it's hardly cause to say they are trending downward. The youth on offense particularly at receiver, Ben throwing for over 4,000 yds. this year, the positive change in the secondaries play are all reasons to be excited.

Nolrog
02-08-2012, 07:31 AM
I thought his analysis was spot on.

Steelers did show their age. Players were a step behind and prone to injury.

Farrior and Ward are clearly not the players they once were. I thought that was a little unfair to Troy. He was making plays all year once agan, but did seem like he was a half step off from making a lot of big plays.

Injuries to Hamption, Ben and Mendenhal did hamper the team down the stretch.

"The Steelers are only getting older, and outside of a few positions (wide receiver, linebacker), it’s about time to start looking to refresh and upgrade the depth chart across the board." That's 100% accurate. They need to bring in new players, get an infusion of youth and upgrade the depth chart all over (nose tackle, DLine, OLine, Linebacker, Safety)

I have no problem with his analysis at all.

I do think he was a bit too optimistic with the Ravens. They are suffering the curse of age as well and don't have a powerful offense to fall back on. Ray Lewis is 36, and while he hasn't seen the injuries like we have, he's not the player he once was. Ed Reed is 33.

OldSchool58
02-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Lol.........
I have no problem being an underdog. If he ranks us 19th in the league, that's great. All the more reason to step it up this season.

papabaier
02-08-2012, 11:38 AM
looking at our schedule, and the changes to be made, I don't think this is too far off.

SteelCityKid5
02-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Yeah I dont know if this guy is far off. Steelers are another year older which never helps. New offensive coordinator. And the worst part is, our schedule. It isn't easy. We can never seem to stay healthy. I dont know and neither does anyone really. I just dont have a good feeling about next year. I also dont know if it would be a bad thing to have a down year. We need better draft picks. Im not saying 3-13 or 4-12 but a down year would be okay in my book.

K Train
02-08-2012, 11:47 AM
pretty retarded but also pretty premature.

steelers are probably gonna win the north next year imo, they were on fire before ben got hurt and i credit the early playoff exit (and not getting the bye) to that

Real Deal Steel
02-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I don't buy this guy's analysis for a minute. If you go see where he had the Giants ranked before this year, I bet they were not in the top ten either. Hahaha.

He doesn't know what he's talking about because we have free agency and the draft to go through. So how can he know how much better or worse we get? He's guesstimating. He's no different then any of us making predictions.

connecticutsteel
02-08-2012, 12:13 PM
This is all conjecture it means exactly nothing. Even the article on Tomlin's silence is a reach but people need stuff to write about.My take on Tomlin's lake of words is there is nothing to say really if you think about it.Yes i know he hired a new OC but does that mean he has to have a press conference. He doesn't say anything in them anyway.I would prefer my head coach be out scouting and working with the scouts to find some talent.

$teelersRule
02-08-2012, 12:15 PM
i just dont see a huge drop off this year. The team needs to get younger and faster. What better time than when they need to get under the cap? I mean NT and Guard are the two greatest weaknesses. Beyond that what are the major holes that would cause such a drastic difference? With Mclendon in there for Hampton's 30 snaps how much worse are we? Two games less? That makes us 10-6 and still in the playoffs. Thats before we even factor in the draft where most teams, abet not the usually the Steelers, can find an actual starter in the first and many times second round. We have young up and comers in the YMC, the DBs and we have a lot of young players coming off IR that i want to see begin to contribute like Carter, Brown, and Batch. I just dont see any way this team is so much worse than they were the past decade. They have a mix of young guys as well as veterans.

LatrobePA
02-08-2012, 12:16 PM
They were predicting the SB winner B4 this past SB was over..

These writers just need something to write to justify their jobs, of course the age thing was brought up again, bla bla bla!

Let's play football then decide!

JensK
02-08-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't know if we'll get that bad, but I don't see us owning the world either. We need to add youth to the starting line-up, and that will give some growing pains. That said, the same thing is happening to the Ravens, and I don't see Bengals being ready to be a serious contender next year. North will probably be as close as ever. As someone else stated, it is obviously a bit premature. It depends on what happens in FA and obviously the draft. If we can make cap room without axing too many starters, maybe pick up a good player and then have a solid draft we'd be fine I suppose.

Lunchbucket
02-08-2012, 12:30 PM
They were predicting the SB winner B4 this past SB was over..

These writers just need something to write to justify their jobs, of course the age thing was brought up again, bla bla bla!

Let's play football then decide!

Exactly,play to decide. Warren Sapp had us dead and burried after the first Ravens game last season,we went 12-4 with a hobbled and injured team. I hate predictions and trending but find amusing the people who make these claims.{think I'll consult my Voodoo Witch Doctor on this matter)

coldrolled
02-08-2012, 02:35 PM
If the offense can score a bit more and the defense goes thru youth transition. it is time for the offense to hold up the d a bit. the pats made the SB with a 30th ranked D. If we remove the old guys we may sink on Def. to #10 for a time. but with a #6 offense and a #10 defense we should fair well .. it is bens time to carry this team for real. 4 qtrs of power offense...

in reality, we will need to keep up with cinci, dalton has more potential than flacco.
flacco and his team are getting older too and mccoy is mccoy.

plus the bengals get another top 3 picks in the top 50 this year.
we get 2 as do the browns, but the browns need 10 top ten picks....

we need to draft and sign a key FA to keep up with these teams.

we cant make many mistakes.. lets go colbert...

LatrobePA
02-08-2012, 04:14 PM
I agree a top 10 defense with a top 5 offense would hide the youth or age!

Troyisabeast_43
02-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Other then the Ravens,Patriots,Texans and maybe a few other teams in the AFC despite all of the salary cap problems I still look for the Steelers to be one of the top teams in the AFC once again next season and have another decent shot of getting back to the Super Bowl...

--- Added 2/8/2012 at 04:46 PM ---

If the offense can score a bit more and the defense goes thru youth transition. it is time for the offense to hold up the d a bit. the pats made the SB with a 30th ranked D. If we remove the old guys we may sink on Def. to #10 for a time. but with a #6 offense and a #10 defense we should fair well .. it is bens time to carry this team for real. 4 qtrs of power offense...

in reality, we will need to keep up with cinci, dalton has more potential than flacco.
flacco and his team are getting older too and mccoy is mccoy.

plus the bengals get another top 3 picks in the top 50 this year.
we get 2 as do the browns, but the browns need 10 top ten picks....

we need to draft and sign a key FA to keep up with these teams.

we cant make many mistakes.. lets go colbert...
Gotta find a way to get by the Ravens next season and win this division once again. Had the Steelers beaten the Ravens that game here in Pittsburgh despite everything else that happened this season they would have won the AFC North and would have been the number 1 seed in the AFC as well. Not beating the Ravens this season absolutely killed the Steelers and probably kept them from going back to the Super Bowl. Im not so much worried about the Bengals just yet like some other people are, but the bottom line is the Steelers need to find a way to beat the Ravens in 2012 and take back the AFC North from them if they want to get to where they ultimately want to go...

SteelCityKid5
02-08-2012, 07:08 PM
pretty retarded but also pretty premature.

steelers are probably gonna win the north next year imo, they were on fire before ben got hurt and i credit the early playoff exit (and not getting the bye) to that

We're you talking about me or the article?

elephantman
02-08-2012, 07:49 PM
We're you talking about me or the article?

likely the article being the posts were only minutes apart :)...though i gotta admit a 7-9 season is not on my wish list

acero
02-08-2012, 09:02 PM
BS bs BS

SteelCityKid5
02-08-2012, 09:26 PM
By NO means am I want a down year but, I wouldnt be shocked or upset if we did.

elephantman
02-08-2012, 10:18 PM
The steelers had one losing season since 2000...amazing...such high standards they are held to....with Ben we only had one yr where we werent good in 06 due to Motorcycles...even 09 we hit a bump and were in the playoff race.....but I do see a possibility of the 1998-2000 season where we had 3 off years to rebuild..Im hoping not, but we dont fix the O and D line, we are in trouble...and we are in the best Division in FB with the Bengels only getting better

Number99
02-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Agreed the Steelers have age in certain areas, but 19th really? Well everyone has opinions and I guess we all know what Peter's opinion resembles.

MDSteel15
02-09-2012, 10:01 AM
So instead or reading this I just want to say that last season some idiots picked us to finish 8-8 behind the Clowns so take it with a grain of salt...