PDA

View Full Version : If I'm Ben, My First Call is to Kurt Warner

SteelDad
02-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Word from Mark Kaboly at the trib this morning is that Ben was not notified about Haley's hiring until after it was a done deal. Not sure how he knows that, but is what it is...

Regardless, Ben should be on the horn immediately to Kurt Warner. Not many will know Haley as an OC better than him. Would love to hear the conversation.

MDSteel15
02-07-2012, 12:37 PM
The only thing he needs to ask Warner is how hard is Haley to get along with? :imho:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2012, 12:41 PM
I would be talking to Warner and to Matt Cassel and see how their opinions differ. I'm not surprised that Ben wasn't notified until after it was done but I'm sure he's talked to Tomlin and Rooney II about it. That initial interview was over a week ago and you know Ben got wind of it and talked it over with the front office to some degree. Maybe they didn't say, "hey Ben we're going to hire todd" but I'd be shocked if he was completely in the dark about it.

greg1964
02-07-2012, 01:34 PM
why should Ben be notified: he is a "PLAYER" not a owner or coach. From what I have seen, this could be the best thing for Ben, provided that he get the ball out of hand quicker and stop taking unnessary hits.

JollyRob68
02-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Remember, when reporters asked Tomlin if Ben would have any say in who the next OC would be Tomlin said NONE.
I would call Kurt Warner to find out what he really thinks of Haley and I'd call Larry Fitzgerald. I wouldn't care what Cassell had to say. It seems to me that players jump in Haley's face because Boldin did it. I think Haley will be up in the box and not the sidelines.However the camera's will always zoom in on him to see if he blows up.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2012, 03:45 PM
More and more people are saying that Haley wasn't Tomlin's choice but the Rooney's stepped in. Unless Art II actually comes out and says it for sure we'll never know but I wouldn't be surprised.

I wrote an article today that it's not going to be a haley vs roethlisberger war in Pittsburgh. I think they'll get a long just fine. If it comes down to Ben not liking the offense he'll deal with it because he's a player.

DIESELMAN
02-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Ben needs to sit down with both Tomlin and Haley and start getting on the same page for the good of the offense and the Steelers. IMHO, Ben needs to form his own opinion on Haley, not from Warner or anyone else. When you start listening to others you can't remain unbiased.

RIVERS OF STEEL
02-07-2012, 05:31 PM
As long as the chemistry is there all around then all is good. I don't even want to think about on the other hand...

Black@Gold Forever32
02-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Ben and his WR's all need to meet with Haley and hopefully they all put in the extra time to get in sync with each other.....

Nolrog
02-07-2012, 06:59 PM
If I'm Ben, the first call I make is to Haley. F Warner or Cassel. Ben needs to establish a relationship with the new OC, and start talking about what he wants from the offense and what type he'd like to be, so Haley would take that into consideration.

NYCsteelersfan
02-07-2012, 10:08 PM
If I'm Ben, the first call I make is to Haley. F Warner or Cassel. Ben needs to establish a relationship with the new OC, and start talking about what he wants from the offense and what type he'd like to be, so Haley would take that into consideration.

lol...thank you.

Root4Stlrs
02-07-2012, 10:21 PM
According to Chris Mortensen's opinion, Ben and Haley will likely bond over golfing together?? That's fine. They are both professionals and should act in that manner. I trust that Ben will do that - if he has matured the way I think he has. I read that Larry Fitzgerald and Keyshawn Johnson (he coached him in one of his jobs) really like Haley - who knows? I saw a show with Keyshawn and Haley right after Haley was fired and it seemed like they had a decent relationship. I think those of you who say that Ben doesn't need a buddy are right. He needs a coach. Some of these other guys who were terrible as head coaches have gone back to being good coordinators - HC just isn't the right fit for a lot of people. Takes a lot of people and management skills a lot of guys don't have. I can't help but be excited - it's in the nature of being a fan.

NYCsteelersfan
02-07-2012, 11:35 PM
I think those of you who say that Ben doesn't need a buddy are right.

I think this fact is a bit overstated on this site. Many coordinators and players have buddy-buddy relationships. Coordinators are usually really young, and they are usually much closer with the players than the head coach. I can't count how many times I've seen players talking or arguing with coordinators on the sideline, but it just almost never happens with players and head coaches.

The coordinators can act like older brothers or even friends, it's the head coach that needs to keep everyone in check when $hit isn't right. If Arians and Roethlisberger were "too buddy-buddy" as many on here say, then it was Tomlin's job to step in and say, "Hey, motherf#&kers! Stop jerking each other off and put some f#%king points on the board before you both get bitch-slapped!"

DIESELMAN
02-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Actually, the relationship between QB and OC should be that of mentor and pupil, where a close bond out of respect is formed. Ben and BA's relationship wasn't even close to that IMHO. Has anyone ever seen BA get pissed and yell and scream at Ben, if for anything else but to get Ben's head outta his ***?

NYCsteelersfan
02-08-2012, 02:21 AM
Actually, the relationship between QB and OC should be that of mentor and pupil, where a close bond out of respect is formed. Ben and BA's relationship wasn't even close to that IMHO. Has anyone ever seen BA get pissed and yell and scream at Ben, if for anything else but to get Ben's head outta his ***?

I would equate a pupil/mentor relationship that results in a close bond to an older brother/younger brother relationship. If older brother and younger brother got too close, and the younger brother stops learning while the older brother stops teaching, then daddy needs to step in to fix the problem.

It's like any other workplace. If the assistant manager and a lower employee have gotten too close and both of their work has taken a hit, the manager in charge of both is just as responsible as thr assistant manager and the other employee because he is in charge of both.

You have Lebeau on defense, which means it basically runs independent of Tomlin. Special teams sucks. The offensive line sucks. Roethlisberger and Arians are supposedly jerking each other off instead of improving the inept offense. And the draft only takes place once a year. So then what the hell exactly is Tomlin doing?

Real Deal Steel
02-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Ben needs to understand that at the end of the day, he's an employee.

Peyton Manning is finding that out in a very rude manner.

Just follow orders and do your job to the best of your ability.

NYCsteelersfan
02-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Ben needs to understand that at the end of the day, he's an employee.

If he doesn't understand that, it's the job of the boss to make him understand that.

SteelDad
02-08-2012, 11:23 AM

My point is that a little knowledge goes a long way. Talking to Warner could help Ben's relationship with Haley before they first meet. I guess at least he'd know what to expect.

Number99
02-08-2012, 11:42 AM
If I'm Ben.................I'd say all the right things when asked..... embrace the new coach, keep my mouth shut and play football. He's getting paid $100 million to play a kids game. :cope:

coldrolled
02-08-2012, 01:40 PM
If I'm Ben.................I'd say all the right things when asked..... embrace the new coach, keep my mouth shut and play football. He's getting paid $100 million to play a kids game. :cope:

:cope: and workout a bit more to get back in shape. he needs to lead this team now.
this is ben's time now...

chisteeler
02-08-2012, 02:04 PM
The relationship between an OC and a QB needs to be one of player and coach. Both need to understand what their respective roles are and the role/responsibility of the other. Take out the dollar signs of each person and have both check their egos and remember that keeping a line of communication open to teach and learn so they can then properly execute and score points, which is what wins ballgames. If keeping this ideology n mind when one gets hot at the other, there shouldn't be any concern for implosion because they should share the same common goal...winning!