PDA

View Full Version : Sources confirm Todd Haley is the new Steelers offensive coordinator

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
All over Twitter the last 30 minutes that Todd Haley is is the guy.

According to many sources both in the local Pittsburgh media and on a national level; Mike Tomlin will hire Todd Haley as his new Offensive Coordinator. Nothing official has been declared yet on the teams website as of the time this report was written but with so many sources confirming it's a pretty safe bet as of now that Haley will be running the Steelers offense in 2012.

mortreport (https://twitter.com/#%21/mortreport)Chris Mortensen - As 610AM in KC is correct: Todd Haley is the Steelers new offensive coordinator, sources confirmed.
albyox (https://twitter.com/#%21/albyox)Alby Oxenreiter - BREAKING NEWS involving the #Steelers (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Steelers): I've been told by sources that Todd Haley has been hired to be Pgh's offensive coordinator. #NFL (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23NFL)

Troyisabeast_43
02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Dont have a link at this exact moment but just saw it on ESPN and NFL Network as breaking news so it is official Todd Haley is the NEW OC...Very good decision by the Steelers and Mike Tomlin...

LatrobePA
02-06-2012, 05:15 PM
My ****** day just got a lot better!!

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-06-2012, 05:16 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! FXCK YES!!!!

xBlitzBurghx
02-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Fu*k yeahhhhhh!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Troyisabeast_43
02-06-2012, 05:20 PM
The 2012 off-season the last 2 days has been great with the Patriots losing the SB yesterday and now a guy like Haley with his offensive play-calling pedigree being named the new offensive coordinator. I think this decision was ultimately made in the end by Art Rooney and not Mike Tomlin...

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-06-2012, 05:26 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM !!!!!

--- Added 2/6/2012 at 04:26 PM ---

All I gotta say is Mike Wallace breakout year

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2012, 05:27 PM
I still see it as a bit of an odd choice, not because of his ability but rather his attitude is questionable from what I've seen in games with him. We'll see how this pans out, I'm anxious to see what he can do.

SteelCityKid5
02-06-2012, 05:29 PM
this is great news.. Im very happy, he should work wonders with the talent we have on offense

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Also expect to see Wes saunders used more. Is it next season yet? Damn I'm happy

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Remember, Haley isn't just a pass first coordinator. He had a pretty good running game in KC when Charles was healthy. All I want is balance!!

elephantman
02-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Ben better STFU about it if he doesent like it and be happy!!!

Big T
02-06-2012, 05:45 PM
F*ck yes. He may be insane but he's a great offensive mind. Very imginative. I see big things with the weapons we have under Todd Haley.

http://4funz.com/Funny-Pictures/memes/pic-unrelated/img-hell-yeah-216

Troyisabeast_43
02-06-2012, 05:46 PM
I still see it as a bit of an odd choice, not because of his ability but rather his attitude is questionable from what I've seen in games with him. We'll see how this pans out, I'm anxious to see what he can do.

That's one thing about a guy like Todd Haley he is a no bullshit guy and I am sure he told Tomlin and others that if I am going to take this job and you hire me I am the one that is going to be in charge of this offense and calling the plays not you. Haley is a guy who is more creative then Arians I feel especially in the red zone and hopefully he is a guy like that push Ben and make him be an even better QB going into his prime seasons here the next 5-6 years...I think it was a good decision and the right hiring and better hiring then going with a guy like Randy Fitchner who was probably too similar to Arians...The bottom line is this offensive play-calling needed a change and needed a new voice and new ideas and going outside the organization with a guy like Todd Haley and not hiring somebody in house like Fitchner...

SteelCityVoice
02-06-2012, 05:51 PM
This is the guy I wanted from the start. I guess we'll see how right or wrong I am.

MattyVfromCT
02-06-2012, 05:52 PM
****IN A! I AM PUMPED! BRING ON THE 2012 SEASON!

Raleigh Steel
02-06-2012, 05:56 PM
this is very good news! i can't wait for the season to start now! i can't wait to see what this offense will be capable of!!!!!

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-06-2012, 05:56 PM
I can't wait to see what he transforms our receivers into! Mike Wallace breakout year I'm telling y'all!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2012, 05:57 PM
That's one thing about a guy like Todd Haley he is a no bullshit guy and I am sure he told Tomlin and others that if I am going to take this job and you hire me I am the one that is going to be in charge of this offense and calling the plays not you. Haley is a guy who is more creative then Arians I feel especially in the red zone and hopefully he is a guy like that push Ben and make him be an even better QB going into his prime seasons here the next 5-6 years...I think it was a good decision and the right hiring and better hiring then going with a guy like Randy Fitchner who was probably too similar to Arians...The bottom line is this offensive play-calling needed a change and needed a new voice and new ideas and going outside the organization with a guy like Todd Haley and not hiring somebody in house like Fitchner...

Any guesses on how much Ben likes this one? LOL . He's a polar opposite of Bruce Arians in terms of his demeanor.

Stone
02-06-2012, 06:00 PM
PLEASE TELL ME IT ISN"T SO!

If it is.....it will be a short lived honeymoon!

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Ben could use some of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl0A4UFBhUs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cricker24
02-06-2012, 06:05 PM
well, Haley's "attitude" could go one of 2 ways. it could be refreshing to have an OC give you a kick in the pants when you're not doing your job right instead of being your best bud...or it could tick off the players causing them to stop playing for him and eventually turn into a complete disaster.

another thing could be that since being fired by the Chiefs, Haley learned the errors of his ways and won't be as vocal towards players. i'm most curious to see how Ben reacts to not only the hiring of Haley, but the first time they disagree about something offensively. Ben hasn't had a coach say something to him when he messes up since Whisenhunt.

Chris

SteelCityVoice
02-06-2012, 06:07 PM
It doesn't hurt to have someone kick you into gear from time to time. Haley had the offense in position to win the Super Bowl in Arizona. If they would have had a solid defense they would likely have won that game.

Nolrog
02-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Honestly, I really don't know anything about him. What's his background. I assume he was an OC before helming the Chiefs. What kind of offense did he run? From the link (thanks SAD_43) he seems like a firey guy. Hopefully the offense will pick that up and play a more physical game.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I like the move because the defense won't have to win every game for us now, we will put up about 35 points a game, we will have less 3 and outs, and he knows how to put together a great game plan, and make the right adjustments during games if need be:yesnod::clap:, and giving our defense a chance to rest more will keep them fresh through out the year, i just hope Ben likes the move because he hates to get yelled at lol, great move Rooneys/ Tomlin:tt02::tt02:

SteelCityVoice
02-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Honestly, I really don't know anything about him. What's his background. I assume he was an OC before helming the Chiefs. What kind of offense did he run? From the link (thanks SAD_43) he seems like a firey guy. Hopefully the offense will pick that up and play a more physical game.

(From Wikipedia) Under Haley’s guidance, the Cardinals offense in 2008 was one of the league’s most innovative and explosive units. Arizona tied for third in the league in scoring, registering a franchise-record 427 points (26.7 ppg). The Cardinals were fourth in total offense, averaging 365.8 yards per game. Arizona was second in the league in passing offense (292.1 ypg) and ranked sixth in the NFL with 20.5 first downs per game. The Cardinals finished the season with a 9-7 record and a playoff berth after winning the NFC West Division title. The Cardinals went on to appear in their first Super Bowl in franchise history after the team scored more than 30 points in each of its three playoff games.

-----------

He changed his tendencies when he went to Kansas City. He relied more on the running game which consistently ranked in the top half of the league under his leadership. This made sense since Matt Cassel is most definitely not the QB Kurt Warner is and we all know how pathetic KC's receivers are.

They lost most of their best players this year and were still within sniffing distance of a playoff spot. He was fired as head coach just one year after leading the Chiefs to the playoffs.

I see a lot of similarities between the talent he will have in Pittsburgh and what he had in Arizona during that SB run. Ben Roethlisberger is capable of a lot of things and is a lot harder to bring down than Kurt Warner. I also think Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown have as much talent and potential as Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin had in 2008. The Steelers also have Emmanuel Sanders, and possibly Jerricho Cotchery and Hines Ward, plus Heath Miller.

The Steelers also have Rashard Mendenhall who has more talent and potential than Edgerrin James had by that point of his career in 2008.

Personally I think it was just time for a new outside approach on offense. We've had the same status quo for a while around here and frankly, I don't think the team was as explosive as it could have been given all the talent.

Now if we can just fix the O-Line.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Plus the rematch between us and the Chiefs just got a little more exciting, i bet you that's a monday night game now...http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/42054/steelers-to-hire-todd-haley-as-coordinator Hell maybe Haley can get Ben to get some more arm strength in the weight room:tt02::lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2012, 06:43 PM
I was talking about that with Steeldad just a little while ago, that game is going to be special for Haley. I would imagine he'll pull out some unique wrinkles for that one..LOL

Nolrog
02-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks Voice. Appreciate the summary.

connecticutsteel
02-06-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm lovin this hire cause he's got fire.Plus his share of **** & vineger .He did a lot of yelling at KC but who wouldn't with tyler palko and Matt Cassel as your QB . I think he will treat ben with respect the man is not stupid.The notion that Haley told Tomlin or the Rooneys anything in regards to this being his offense and he will call the plays or what ever is bullshit.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Good stuff, I made a similar post to go up on the homepage later tonight. His commitment to the run game is just what the Rooney's want. He had limited offensive weapons in KC; other than Moeaki, Charles, and Bowe that was about it. He's got more to work with in Pittsburgh.

Speeed
02-06-2012, 08:22 PM
He will have exactly one game to impress this forum . . .

cuatro_tres43
02-06-2012, 08:37 PM
NAILED IT!!! YESSSS!

RIVERS OF STEEL
02-06-2012, 08:46 PM

zactly

coach
02-06-2012, 08:48 PM

Somebody in here will likley say (after a poor game) that it was better with BA:lol: I won't agree with that now or in the future, but I am sure we'll see it posted.

Nolrog
02-06-2012, 08:50 PM

The first intra-squad scrimmich game.

JoeSteelerFan
02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Ben Roeth is not an assertive self-starter .... Ben is not a come to work early to study film then stay late to burn the midnight to condition himself type. Ben is the "intellectually lazy" type that likes to get by in life on raw talent alone.

Having said all this ...... Haley is the PERFECT hire to make Ben better and demand more out of players who have been lulled into a sense of complcency with Tomlin's veteran "Camp Cupcake" approach.

The offense doesn't need a drinking pal ... they need a coach who has expectations of men.

lloydfan4life
02-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Wasn't really sure how to feel about this hire... but after reading through a lot of the excitement from all of you count me in on the Happy Wagon. I'm looking forward to seeing what Haley can do with the talent we have.

Steelers/PSU Fan
02-06-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm just glad they didn't promote from within, I think Haley will do a good job if he is actually going to get it. Good timing too, we play the AFC west this year and Haley should have some good insight on plays to run. Is it a coincidence that we might hire an ex AFC West head coach the season we play that division? :thinking:

K Train
02-06-2012, 11:13 PM
the steelers made the right choice here in a big way

regardless of the attitude (few overblown incidents imo) hes not an unlikable guy. i dont really care what the offensive coodinators attitude is anyway...his role is to run the offense not be the sideline attitude.

he was a great pickup....he was the man for the job by a mile. such a huge upgrade on arians

xBlitzBurghx
02-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Going from arians to haley will be like going from a flip phone to an iphone

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Root4Stlrs
02-06-2012, 11:32 PM
:plus1: We do need a new wrinkle or two on offense. Watching the SB last night I kept thinking neither of those teams is that much better than the Steelers, but something was hinky this year with the offense. We were all so fired up before the season started about the offense and what was going to happen with the great receiving corps, but it didn't really pan out like it should have. There were issues with the offensive line, of course, but it got better after Starks came back. I just don't see how Haley could be any worse than what we've seen with the play calling.

--- Added 2/6/2012 at 10:32 PM ---

[QUOTE=coach;484425]Somebody in here will likley say (after a poor game) that it was better with BA:lol: I won't agree with that now or in the future, but I am sure we'll see it posted.

Just like the romanticizing of Cowher and how much better things were in the good old days. LOL It's human nature. Like people have forgotten about the 1995 AFC Championship game and the playoff losses to New England and Cowher's last year in Pittsburgh. Hey Diddle Diddle Willie up the Middle and the rest of Arians' bad calls will be forgotten as well.

Real Deal Steel
02-07-2012, 12:03 AM
First, I'm glad we have an OC who has a sophisticated passing scheme who'll put some timing patterns in the offense that will get the ball out of Ben's hands quicker.

Next, we will be getting a fullback back in the offense too. Haley's father is a Steeler lifer so he is looking over Todd's shoulder to make sure he stays in line with Steeler etiquette.

So I don't see any downside to this hire.

Dobre Shunka
02-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Massive change, in a flash!

wyn50
02-07-2012, 04:13 AM
I would think Haley knows who he is coaching for and behave himself in public. Behind closed doors is another story. :)

JollyRob68
02-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Its about time.Very excited to have HALEY. LETS SEE WHAT HE CAN DO WITH THIS TALENT.

OldSchool58
02-07-2012, 06:51 AM
Next, we will be getting a fullback back in the offense too. Haley's father is a Steeler lifer so he is looking over Todd's shoulder to make sure he stays in line with Steeler etiquette.

So I don't see any downside to this hire.

I was thinking the same thing. Personally, I don't care if Haley comes in and cleans house. I mean, somebody needs to take charge of the O. Besides, if he shows up to every game blindfolded, shaking a magic 8ball to call plays, he'll be better than Arians.

SteelDad
02-07-2012, 07:41 AM
I posted this in another thread when Haley's name came up as a potential OC. I think this shows the guy works with the talent he is given pretty well.

In 2008, the year Haley as OC took the Cards to the SB, the team was #4 in total offense and #2 in Passing. They were dead last in rushing.

In 2007, they were 12th in total offense, 5th in passing and 29th in rushing.

As HC in Kansas City

In 2009, KC was 25th in Total offense, 25th in passing, 11th in rushing.

In 2010, KC was 12th in total offense, 30th in passing, 1st in rushing.

In 2011, KC was 27th in total offense, 25th in passing, 15th in rushing.

steelersbabex25
02-07-2012, 09:07 AM
This...is awesome.

And that's all I really have to say about the situation.

Real Deal Steel
02-07-2012, 09:55 AM
I posted this in another thread when Haley's name came up as a potential OC. I think this shows the guy works with the talent he is given pretty well.

In 2008, the year Haley as OC took the Cards to the SB, the team was #4 in total offense and #2 in Passing. They were dead last in rushing.

In 2007, they were 12th in total offense, 5th in passing and 29th in rushing.

As HC in Kansas City

In 2009, KC was 25th in Total offense, 25th in passing, 11th in rushing.

In 2010, KC was 12th in total offense, 30th in passing, 1st in rushing.

In 2011, KC was 27th in total offense, 25th in passing, 15th in rushing.

When Haley was brought in, no doubt he was told the mandate is to balance the offense. Period. Balancing the run/pass ratio will make both attacks very, very potent when they are used. In other words, we may not pass as much as the Packers, Saints or Patriots, but when we do pass, the passes will get very nice yardage or scores.

steelspikes
02-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Great news; glad to see the Steelers go with a younger guy who understands where offense in the NFL is going. If he is given at least 2-3 yrs., Steelers could become an actual "elite offense," i.e. 27+ ppg.

Stone
02-07-2012, 12:10 PM
I HATE THIS MOVE!

Mark my words, this will be seen a bad move within two years. The guy is just not a team player!

To my knowledge, the Steelers have never had a guy at such a key coaching position who didn't fit the Steeler mold.....he is a pariah, a hip shooter, a loose cannon, a squeaky wheel, a hot head, .............I really don't like this!

LatrobePA
02-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Lol you're nuts!

coldrolled
02-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Lol you're nuts!

I think he yelled at his mom once too...

Stone
02-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Lol you're nuts!

LOL.....I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is......you?

--- Added 2/7/2012 at 12:29 PM ---

I think he yelled at his mom once too...

She deserved it! She spanked me! LOL

coldrolled
02-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Todd Haley Named Offensive Coordinator

Posted 1 minute ago

The Pittsburgh Steelers have named Todd Haley as their new offensive coordinator, it was announced today.

“I am excited about the opportunity to come back home and work for a tremendous organization,” Haley said. “It is an honor to work with the Rooney family and Coach Tomlin and continue the success that has become synonymous with the Steelers. My father has so many fond memories both from his playing days and his time in the personnel department with the team, and I look forward to helping bring more championships to Pittsburgh and to being a part of one of the storied franchises in the NFL.”

Haley has spent 17 years in the NFL, including the last 15 as a coach after his career began as a scouting assistant. He joins the Steelers after spending the majority of the last three seasons as the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. Haley led the Chiefs to the greatest single-season turnaround in franchise history, winning the AFC West in 2010 by recording six more victories than in 2009. For leading Kansas City to its first division title since 2003, Haley was voted by former players and coaches as the NFL Alumni Coach of the Year.

Prior to joining the Chiefs, Haley was the offensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals from 2007-08. In his second season Haley helped the Cardinals win their first division title since 1975 and earn a spot in the franchise’s first Super Bowl (XLIII). Haley’s offense recorded a franchise record 427 points and became the fifth team in NFL history to have three receivers eclipse 1,000 yards in the same season. Haley has also served as an assistant coach for the Dallas Cowboys (2004-06), Chicago Bears (2001-03) and the New York Jets (1997-2000), helping each team earn a playoff berth.

He is the son of Dick Haley, who spent 44 seasons in the NFL including serving as the Steelers’ director of player personnel from 1971-90.

JollyRob68
02-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Whiz & BEn didn't get along and we were a balanced team with some trick plays. Can't wait to see what Haley can do with this teams talent.

wyn50
02-07-2012, 02:19 PM
He seems like a winner where ever he goes. It helped him to have the right tools. The last season at KC he did not have the weapons he had the previous season with all the injuries. I guess he cannot use that excuse for the Steelers. :)

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2012, 02:35 PM
I can't say I'm surprised that they aren't going to have a press conference. I was hoping they would but considering how poorly this process has gone with the drama surrounding Arians departure they just want to move on.

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-07-2012, 02:45 PM
I HATE THIS MOVE!

Mark my words, this will be seen a bad move within two years. The guy is just not a team player!

To my knowledge, the Steelers have never had a guy at such a key coaching position who didn't fit the Steeler mold.....he is a pariah, a hip shooter, a loose cannon, a squeaky wheel, a hot head, .............I really don't like this!

Not sure if serious...

Number99
02-07-2012, 03:37 PM
betting on a message board ....LMAO

LatrobePA
02-07-2012, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=Stone;484629]LOL.....I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is......you?/QUOTE]

You're not only nuts you're a dork! lol

I'm betting after we have a top 5 offense this season you'll forget this post!

Oh yea, no money needed, hahahahahaha!!

Diehardsteel
02-07-2012, 03:57 PM
****ING SMART!!! That's what I yelled out after reading this. Even with a sore throat...

:cope::cope::cope:

LatrobePA
02-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Tuesday, February 07, 2012
Steelers hire Haley

The Steelers officially hired Todd Haley as their offensive coordinator Tuesday, ending a nearly two-week search for the replacement for Bruce Arians.

The Steelers grew weary of Arians' buddy-buddy relationship with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and were looking for a new coordinator who will bring a more balanced offensive attack.

Haley, who most recently served as head coach in Kansas City, should do that.

Steelers tight end Weslye Saunders has been suspended for four games by the NFL for violating the league's policy on performance enhancing drugs.

Now word yet on what Saunders tested positive for, but it could be any number of things – some of which are available in over-the-counter medications.

My heart goes out to the family of Tunch Ilkin regarding the death of his lovely wife Sharon.

Sharon Ilkin, like Tunch, was a graduate of Indiana State University, where she was a cheerleader.

She once appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated with fellow Indiana State product Larry Bird.

Prosdo
02-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I am a fan of the move. Hell anything is better than watching old Bruce's game plan.

North Steel
02-07-2012, 09:27 PM
I HATE THIS MOVE!

Come on dude lets stay positive on this move,it can't be any worse than BA :crossfingers::lol: I'm really looking forward to this season now.All we have to do is improve the OL a bit and we should be able to **** **** up :cope:

UKSTEELER
02-08-2012, 04:43 AM
WELCOME TO THE STEELERS TODD, . . .

a guy like Haley only comes round once every 75 years or so, . . . great pick up . . .

now don't screw up . . . . . :lol:

JollyRob68
02-08-2012, 05:14 AM
Haley brings what we've been lacking. Feisty & Nasty. Now lets get some Feisty & NAsty Lineman and get the Defense back to being Feisty,Nasty and Hungry. That being said I like Vontaze Burfict or Dont'a Hightower unless Mike Adams or Cody Glen are still on the board.
I'd even take Center Peter Konz and move Pouncey to Guard and then Pick up a right tackle LAter in the draft.

DIESELMAN
02-08-2012, 11:51 AM
The Steelers will hold a press conference Thursday to officially announce Haley as the new OC.

Stone
02-10-2012, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=Stone;484629]LOL.....I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is......you?/QUOTE]

You're not only nuts you're a dork! lol

I'm betting after we have a top 5 offense this season you'll forget this post!

Oh yea, no money needed, hahahahahaha!!

Your mom is a man! Too bad you aren't LOL!

My offer still stands honey:lol: