PDA

View Full Version : Steelers v. Giants in '12 Opener?

SteelDad
02-06-2012, 12:07 PM
If you look at the possible match-ups that would reel in a big audience for NBC on opening night, I have a hard time seeing a better match-up than us v. them.

Philly? Maybe, but my guess is they don't want a divisional opener and FOX wouldn't want to lose it.

Dallas? As Peter King points out today, FOX lost both these match-ups last season due to the flexing of games. I can't see it happening again.

Skins? Nice rivalry, but unless Peyton Manning is under center for Washington (a distinct possibility) Skins just aren't attractive enough right now.

Ravens? What would be the draw there?

Saints? I can see this but the Saints opened at GB last year on opening night.

Steelers? All the tradition of the two teams plus the recent success and how couldn't you watch Ben v Eli?

Get ready for us on opening night people.

Troyisabeast_43
02-06-2012, 12:18 PM
I was just about to post a thread about this Steel and you beat me too it lol...It cant be the Ravens anyway because they play the Giants at home in Baltimore and the opener on Thursday night has to be played in New York which the Steelers do play next season. The other possibility you didnt mention Steel is the Packers seeing that the Giants host them next season and they would be the last 2 Super Bowl winners and they knocked them out of the playoffs this season. But Im with you though I think there is an excellent chance that the Steelers will play in that Thursday night opener against the Giants. They have done it twice before after winning the Super Bowl at home but have yet to do it on the road and I think this coming season could finally be the year it happens. The bad news is in the 8 years I believe they have done the Thursday night opener the road team has yet to win that opening game and is 0-8 but hey there is a first time for everything I guess right??

Real Deal Steel
02-06-2012, 12:43 PM
I'd love to play the Giants in the opener next year. We will beat that @ss too. Because we will take away the run game and bring a pass rush (hopefully). Yep..that be a nice win for us to start the season.

K Train
02-06-2012, 12:47 PM
:markit:

steelspikes
02-06-2012, 02:25 PM
SteelDad: Just one team you don't mention--GB Packers, who also are on NY's schedule.Suspect that this inter-NFC game between last 2 SB bowl winners would trump Steelers v. Jints, though this would be a good drawing card as well.

SteelDad
02-06-2012, 02:27 PM
You guys are right. Totally forgot about the Packers. Seeing as the last 2 SB champs played the opener last season, I can also see it in '12. Still think we have the inside track though.

Troyisabeast_43
02-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Id rather open up with the Redskins or the Browns at home and be guaranteed to start 1-0 instead of playing the Giants in the first game where the road team never wins that opening game on Thursday night since it got put into play in 2004.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2012, 03:19 PM
If I'm NBC I don't know how you don't put the Giants in on week 1 to start out the year. The defending champions in primetime to start the season is probably a no brainer.

However a Steelers matchup against the Giants would be a great! Ben vs Eli, Defense vs Defense, it's a win-win.

Perhaps a San Francisco vs Giants rematch?

From a ratings standpoint any of those games would be money, but 43 is right, I'd rather open up with an easy team than be behind the 8ball right from the get go.

Those opening games can go either way, especially if you're banged up from training camp.

K Train
02-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Giants will definitely open up on thursday night football, the steelers are the obvious choice but being theyve opened a few kickoff thursday games they could opt for another team for the giants to play against

JollyRob68
02-06-2012, 04:12 PM
It was said they probably wouldn't do a division game to open the season. So it comes down to Steelers,Cleveland,New Orleans & Tampa Bay. Steelers would be awesome.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2012, 12:54 PM
I personally don't like divisional games in the first week of the season, win or lose. They are such an intensive rivalry that I prefer to see them sometime after week 2 or 3 usually. There aren't that many of them so to put one on the schedule early takes away from a potential one after Thanksgiving when things really get interesting.