PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments by the players will be key !

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Think about it, most, yes most of our players have never had any coach except Bill Cowher in their careers in the NFL. That puts up a red flag that no matter how excited you get about a new coach, and new era, and all of that; there will be an adjustment process that takes place. It could be a long one or it could be an easy one but there will be some trying times, it's inevitable. The new guy on the block is coming into a situation that nobody else has dealt with in the NFL. Cowher's longetivity and success will not be forgotten by the players and at the first sign of any controversy or trouble you can bet that there will be rumors out the wazoo coming from the media that he said this / they said that , "cowher wouldnt have done it that way" type of statements.

Our team has always been close and stuck together, you can attribute that to Cowhers tenure, attitude and relationship with his players. We don't point fingers and place blame because BC didnt raise them that way. It will be interesting to see how Tomlin handles the pressure of taking over the reigns from the Cowher regime.

Porter
Roethlisberger
Parker
Kreider
Ward
Marvel Smith
Aaron Smith
Hampton
Holmes
Heath Miller
Faneca
Starks
Simmons
Townsend
Haggans
Foote
Taylor
McFadden
Polamalu
Anthony Smith

Just to name a few that all have never had another head coach other than BC.

I still stand by my statement that I wanted to have Whiz or Grimm as our HC, but I support the Steelers first and foremost and that will never change. Im just pointing out that with all the hype, there will be some struggles in some fashion, that much is guaranteed.

Prosdo
01-22-2007, 02:43 PM
I think a young guy like Tomlin can add something to this team. I do think we need to have some clear leaders in the locker room to step up as well and help the transition.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Leadership was something our team struggled with through the first 8 games last year and did the last 8 alittle too. Players like Porter, Ward, and Faneca will be key during this transition period.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Oh I agree there is going to be an adjustment period no doubt. I'm not expecting play-offs next year. I think the Steelers will be a good team this year but will struggle with some of the adjustments. Now the 2008 season and on I expect the Steelers to be among the best teams in the AFC.

I wouldn't be suprised if the Steelers make the play-offs in 2007. But I'm taking it slow since there is a new HC.

AZ_Steeler
01-22-2007, 03:05 PM
The adjustment part will be the biggest factor in whether or not the Steelers make the playoffs. Considering this is a tight knit group Tomlin might should recognize that and try not to ruffle to many feathers or at least come in as the new coach and start laying down the law :flex: his muscles...

There is a good positive way to come in as the new coach and there is a bad way that will rub the players the wrong way. Tomlin has this choice right now and hopefully he makes the right decision which none of us really know what is the correct way either :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 03:05 PM
I really think that is the safe way to go about it. I'll be first to cheer for us making the playoffs in 2007 if it were to happen but Im not holding my breath. Cowher got us to the playoffs in his first year, after all the changes he made when he came in, but the situation was alot different. We do have the luxury of a 3rd place schedule this year, but as that looks now it's going to be far from a cakewalk even if BC wouldn't have left.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-22-2007, 03:09 PM
To assume that there are going to be struggles just because of a new coach is jumping the gun a bit. These guys are supposed to be professional athletes. The coaches job is to put them in position to win. It will be up to him to make sure he gets the best out of his players ability 's to win. All this talk about massive changes is a bit premature. Do you really think he is going to come in and try to make wholesale changes, it wouldn't serve him well. C'mon people let's give him a chance .....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Nobody ever said he was coming in to make massive wholesale changes. Im saying I hope he doesnt, BUT to sit here and think that he won't change this team is premature as well. New coaches generally do struggle with their teams, that's just a fact backed up by history. There are exceptions like Sean Payton for example, but overall there will be changes you can bank on that its just a matter of how well the players adjust.

Yes they are professional athletes and yes they should be able to handle it but they are human too regardless of the size of their paychecks, therefore making them susceptible to the possibility of falling down before they get up.

SteelerSal
01-22-2007, 04:31 PM
To assume that there are going to be struggles just because of a new coach is jumping the gun a bit. These guys are supposed to be professional athletes. The coaches job is to put them in position to win. It will be up to him to make sure he gets the best out of his players ability 's to win. All this talk about massive changes is a bit premature. Do you really think he is going to come in and try to make wholesale changes, it wouldn't serve him well. C'mon people let's give him a chance .....

These players have made a coaching change throughout their whole football career from Pop Warner, High School, and College before they even came to the NFL.
If any of you all played organized football then you would agree with me that it only takes a short period of time, (training camp), to get a feel for what a new coach wants and expects from his team. It is'nt any different than an offense learning a new playbook when a team changes a coordinator.
When these players are drafted or sign with another team thru FA they go thru a coaching change.
Easy transition for the Steelers as the team will work together and help each other out as a group to make it a smooth process.
The Saints did not have a problem with their new coach this season.:bigthumb:

DIESELMAN
01-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Tomlin needs to take charge and show the players who the boss is from day one. He will ruffle feathers, he will **** people off. He can't be like Cowher was to some players and show favoritism and coddle some either. These guys are grown men and are professionals. The sooner he gets them on his sheet of music and into his way of doing things the better.

K Train
01-22-2007, 08:30 PM
he seems like a nice guy, but his on the field presence he seems like a hard ***, he needs to rule this team with an iron fist from the get go

BlitzburghNation
01-22-2007, 08:42 PM
You will here alot of BULL like TG said "Cowhwer this Bill that " and that's gonna make me :banging:
You'll not here me say that this year "Ga---Run----TEED :D
I'll keep supporting my team :tt02: No matter how many doubters come out of the wood work ,,,,,,,,,,,Happy we've got an up & coming coach and I believe he's gonna do a Helluva JOB :clap:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Tomlin needs to take charge and show the players who the boss is from day one. He will ruffle feathers, he will **** people off. He can't be like Cowher was to some players and show favoritism and coddle some either. These guys are grown men and are professionals. The sooner he gets them on his sheet of music and into his way of doing things the better.

I agree that he's got to lay down the law with the players and let them know right off the bat what he expects out of them and stick to it; he also has to show some tact like 32 mentioned make sure that is motivating them in a positive manner. BC for all his shortcomings was a master motivator and he knew how to push the buttons of certain players at the right time. It will take Tomlin quite a while to get to know our players and how they react. You can't be a Tom Coughlin and just be all gungho prison warden and be a jerk, you have to have the right balance of power and positive reinforcement. Let's not forget these players as I said before are human beings regardless of the size of their paychecks and each one has his own personality. He will have to learn the pulse of our team as much as they'll have to learn his pulse.

BlitzburghNation
01-22-2007, 09:40 PM
I AGREE,,,,,,,,,,,,TG

DIESELMAN
01-22-2007, 10:26 PM
I agree that he's got to lay down the law with the players and let them know right off the bat what he expects out of them and stick to it; he also has to show some tact like 32 mentioned make sure that is motivating them in a positive manner. BC for all his shortcomings was a master motivator and he knew how to push the buttons of certain players at the right time. It will take Tomlin quite a while to get to know our players and how they react. You can't be a Tom Coughlin and just be all gungho prison warden and be a jerk, you have to have the right balance of power and positive reinforcement. Let's not forget these players as I said before are human beings regardless of the size of their paychecks and each one has his own personality. He will have to learn the pulse of our team as much as they'll have to learn his pulse.

I agree....I didn't mean Tomlin needs to go in there breathing fire and hell bent for leather. but the sooner he gets everyone on his page the better. How he does that will be interesting, coming into Minnesota and turning a shitass D around should say something about his motivation skills.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Yes that is true, he turned that defense into something special last year so we know he knows his stuff. He mentioned in the press conference that he's not a fire and brimstone type of coach but that he'd rather stay calm on the sidelines then show alot of emotion and get fired up.

That will be a far cry from what we're used to.