PDA

View Full Version : Mean Joe Greene looking forward to change in offense

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2012, 02:05 AM
Count Joe Greene among those happy to see the Steelers move to change their approach on offense.

"If it doesn't feel good, you have to change it and, basically, it wasn't feeling good," Greene said Friday. "It wasn't feeling good in '09, and it wasn't feeling good in 2011."

Greene, a Hall of Fame defensive tackle chosen the most important player in Steelers history, spent time promoting a new commercial for Procter & Gamble that is a takeoff on his famous Coke commercial 32 years ago which won a Clio.

Greene, a special assistant in the Steelers personnel department since '04, said watching the offense last season was difficult for him.

"I don't like the imbalance," he said in an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He implied the Steelers could be playing Sunday in the Super Bowl had there been smarter play-calling on offense.

Steelers president Art Rooney II essentially fired offensive coordinator Bruce Arians when he did not offer him a contract renewal after the season. Monday, the Indianapolis Colts hired Arians as their offensive coordinator.

"I don't disagree with him," Greene said of Rooney's move.

The Steelers offense last season ranked 12th in the NFL in total yards but 21st in points scored. Coach Mike Tomlin has been interviewing candidates for a new offensive coordinator.

Greene said his complaint with the offense did not lie in the ratio of runs to passes but in the lack of commitment to run, especially in obvious situations.
"Look at the teams that are here,'' Greene said of the Super Bowl matchup between the New England Patriots and New York Giants. "There is a method to their madness, there is a system, you can see what they're trying to do.

"When New England played the [Baltimore] Ravens [in the AFC championship game], had they continued trying to throw the football, they would have lost it. They decided they had to run it, but they couldn't line up and show you they were going to run it, they had to look like they were going to throw the pass, and that's when they ran the ball on them. And that allowed them to score a couple touchdowns.
"And the Giants, they run the football pretty good, but they mix in the pass, and they can throw the ball.

"The thing that people don't understand with us, I've heard it said ... 'We want to throw the football because we have all the people.' Well, hell, [in the 1970s], we had Terry Bradshaw, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann; we had Jimmy Smith, we had the tight end. We could throw the ball when we had to, and we could run it when we had to. That's football! You do what you have to do when you have to do it -- run it when you need to, throw it when you need to. It's not all one way. I think that's what we didn't get."

Greene, who attends training camp with the rest of the scouts for at least the first two weeks, said the commitment to run should start there, and he did not see that.
"That means you have to practice it, that's the thing. For 18 years [as an NFL defensive coach], one of the things that I did was draw up the running game for 9 on 7 and for team," Greene said of those practice sessions. "And there is always a weakness in a defense for the run, but you have to be able to look for it. You don't just call the run because you get tired of throwing it or because someone wants you to."

Greene blamed the Steelers loss Nov. 6 to Baltimore on the offense's inability to run the clock with the lead. The Ravens drove 92 yards in the final two minutes to score the winning touchdown with eight seconds left, 23-20. He also noted that, even in the regular-season finale at Cleveland, the Browns were throwing desperation passes with a chance to win at the end, chances Greene believes they would not have had if the offense had used the clock better.

"In our second game against Baltimore, if we play smart football, we're going to be in a position to host the AFC championship game," Greene said. "I just think that we let this opportunity get away."

He has faith, however, that the Steelers will find someone to improve their offense for '12.

"Oh, yeah. The organization is a great organization, and, sometimes, great organizations stub their toes."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12035/1208112-66-0.stm#ixzz1lOG9j7HQ)

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-04-2012, 03:43 AM
He makes the point I've been screaming for all along. I don't get fans who want to throw the ball 50 times a game. You have to be balanced

coldrolled
02-04-2012, 08:47 AM
keywords from Greene's statement...

commitment to run should start there, and he did not see that.
"That means you have to practice it, that's the thing. For 18 years [as an NFL defensive coach], one of the things that I did was draw up the running game for 9 on 7 and for team," Greene said of those practice sessions. "And there is always a weakness in a defense for the run, but you have to be able to look for it. You don't just call the run because you get tired of throwing it or because someone wants you to."

Keywords about our run game... Arians had none of this going. And Greene says it all in a paragraph..

Commitment
Practice It
Draw Up
Weakness = Find the Weakness in the defense
Able to look for weakness
Dont run for the hell of it

Wow, Greene just made me feel smarter.. Screw Arians...

JoeSteelerFan
02-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Count Joe Greene among those happy to see the Steelers move to change their approach on offense.

"If it doesn't feel good, you have to change it and, basically, it wasn't feeling good," Greene said Friday. "It wasn't feeling good in '09, and it wasn't feeling good in 2011."

"I don't like the imbalance," he said in an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He implied the Steelers could be playing Sunday in the Super Bowl had there been smarter play-calling on offense.

Steelers president Art Rooney II essentially fired offensive coordinator Bruce Arians when he did not offer him a contract renewal after the season. Monday, the Indianapolis Colts hired Arians as their offensive coordinator.

"I don't disagree with him," Greene said of Rooney's move.

Joe Greene is SPOT "effing" ON! ... nothing more really needs to be said. :cope:

LatrobePA
02-04-2012, 10:48 AM
MJG is spot on and just confirms to me Tomlin is a pussy for even wanting to bring BA back!!

SteelCityKid5
02-04-2012, 11:37 AM
I still say it should be 60-40 pass to run with the offense personnel we have. As for Greene, I don't think the current players should care what he thinks. Quite frankly, I don't think they do. But he was just stating his opinion. I don't mind that.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2012, 12:28 PM
I love this statement, "That means you have to practice it, that's the thing. For 18 years [as an NFL defensive coach], one of the things that I did was draw up the running game for 9 on 7 and for team," Greene said of those practice sessions. "And there is always a weakness in a defense for the run, but you have to be able to look for it. You don't just call the run because you get tired of throwing it or because someone wants you to."

You can't get more spot on than that, running is an attitude in the NFL; a state of mind. You have to be committed to running the ball no matter what the defense does and be able to counteract it.

I remember back in the ground and pound days the OL was good enough to get a hat on a hat and take care of business. This line needs to be able to adapt to that as well.

coldrolled
02-04-2012, 12:52 PM
He totally laid BA out....

this is the best one..

Find weakness in a defense for the run, but you have to be able to look for it.

--- Added 2/4/2012 at 10:52 AM ---

MJG is spot on and just confirms to me Tomlin is a pussy for even wanting to bring BA back!!

He did kinda make tomlin look whimpy.. :lol:

But he nicely and smoothly told the FO that arians was an idiot.. like we thought. :banana:

steelers75
02-04-2012, 02:32 PM
keywords from Greene's statement...

commitment to run should start there, and he did not see that.

Keywords about our run game... Arians had none of this going. And Greene says it all in a paragraph..

Commitment
Practice It
Draw Up
Weakness = Find the Weakness in the defense
Able to look for weakness
Dont run for the hell of it

Wow, Greene just made me feel smarter.. Screw Arians...

This argument would be more compelling if Greene hadn't pretty much completely sucked at coaching himself.

coldrolled
02-04-2012, 04:18 PM
This argument would be more compelling if Greene hadn't pretty much completely sucked at coaching himself.

really, thats why it is more complelling. :thinking:

Dobre Shunka
02-04-2012, 04:48 PM
agreed

MattyVfromCT
02-04-2012, 09:51 PM
great read! i am just happy art 2 stepped in and didnt let tomlin bring that asshat arians back

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Greene might not have been the best coach when he tried that avenue but it doesn't discount what he knows about football throughout his career. The things he mentioned are spot on.

This team has been built as a pass first team over the last several years, regardless of how Arians preached about Mendenhall being the workhorse and all that. There's nothing wrong with using the pass but you better be good at both if you expect to succeed consistently. I want to see this Steelers OLine be a nasty group of guys that just completely kicks *** in the running game.

Real Deal Steel
02-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks Mean Joe. I"m glad he's saying what I"ve been saying. So let the nay sayers argue with Mean Joe now.

jnes1216
02-05-2012, 11:34 AM
If memory serves correctly, Tomlin was asked (after drafting Mendy) about the reasoning behind drafting a skill position when the Off. line needed obvious upgrading. His response was that there were other ways to protect the QB. i.e. having weapons at the skill positions and putting the ball into their hands.
I hope two off. lineman are drafted in the first three rounds so we can build a dominant offensive line like we should have done before. This should give MJG and everyone else the change we are looking forward to.

Stone
02-05-2012, 01:22 PM
He makes the point I've been screaming for all along. I don't get fans who want to throw the ball 50 times a game. You have to be balanced

Exactly!

It's usually the younger fans who see the game as "entertainment", as opposed to a sport, who want the ball in the air all the time.

I'm stunned at how Arians stayed under the radar due to the success of the Steelers and now it's all coming out that his play calling, game-planning, and adjustments flat out sucked!

coach
02-05-2012, 02:46 PM
I am also a big fan of a strong run game. I like his comments that basically say that you run when the D dictates that you run and you throw when the D dictates that you throw. Throwing deep can be fun to watch, but it's hard to beat some good old fashioned ground and pound for 3 quarters that open up a gaping whole for a long fourth quarter run.

I think BA had a theory that having weapons like our WRs was an unstoppble assett and wanted to utilize it. But, what was especuially infuriating about that was that all his routes were deep or bubble screens. With our O line, you would think he would have dialed up some 3 step drops and quick slants, etc.

I am not sure that we will all of a sudden become a powerhouse running team next year, but I sure hope the new OC plays to the team's strengths and they we transition back to a strong running team sooner rather than later.

steelspikes
02-05-2012, 03:08 PM

Not really fair to say MT wanted BA back. If you really listen to the end-of-season press conference, MT is just playing the politician, which is what Head Coaches sometimes have to do.
As I stated earlier to those who panicked about BA returning, it wasn't that difficult to read the possibility of change into MT's remarks.

LatrobePA
02-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Dude I'm not sure why you're swinging so badly on MT's nuts. He clearly went on record saying he wanted him back! Tomlin is a spineless puppet when it comes to making changes!

HUNT4SEVEN
02-06-2012, 01:45 AM
"I don't like the imbalance," he said in an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He implied the Steelers could be playing Sunday in the Super Bowl had there been smarter play-calling on offense.<<<<This:tt02:

:clap:EFFIN classic it's nice to see someone has the balls to speak truth in the FO:clap:>>>>>>"The thing that people don't understand with us, I've heard it said ... 'We want to throw the football because we have all the people.' Well, hell, [in the 1970s], we had Terry Bradshaw, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann; we had Jimmy Smith, we had the tight end. We could throw the ball when we had to, and we could run it when we had to. That's football! You do what you have to do when you have to do it -- run it when you need to, throw it when you need to. It's not all one way. I think that's what we didn't get."

Stone
02-06-2012, 11:20 AM
"I don't like the imbalance," he said in an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He implied the Steelers could be playing Sunday in the Super Bowl had there been smarter play-calling on offense.<<<<This:tt02:

:clap:EFFIN classic it's nice to see someone has the balls to speak truth in the FO:clap:>>>>>>"The thing that people don't understand with us, I've heard it said ... 'We want to throw the football because we have all the people.' Well, hell, [in the 1970s], we had Terry Bradshaw, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann; we had Jimmy Smith, we had the tight end. We could throw the ball when we had to, and we could run it when we had to. That's football! You do what you have to do when you have to do it -- run it when you need to, throw it when you need to. It's not all one way. I think that's what we didn't get."

BINGO!