PDA

View Full Version : If the Pats win, is Belichick on par with Chuck Noll?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2012, 04:44 PM
For as much as most of us hate the Patriots, if they win the Super Bowl this weekend I think you have to make a strong case for putting him in on the same level as Chuck Noll.

As much as it pains me to say it I don't know how you couldn't? Yeah the whole spygate thing is a blemish on his record and people will put an asterisk by his name forever but he is still a good coach. I've always said for as much as I don't like him, he is the best gameplanning coach in the history of the game.

Chuck Noll though built that dynasty team from literally nothing. The Steelers were just flat out terrible until he got there and started drafting guys like Joe Greene, Bradshaw, etc. Belichick inherited a pretty decent team when he took over the Patriots. That doesn't diminish what he's done but I would say it's more of a plus for Noll to be over Belichick in that particular category.

jpele
02-03-2012, 07:28 PM
I can't argue Belichick's game planning and ability to adjust during games and yes it puts him on the same level as Chuck Noll but Emperor Chuck will forever be 4-0 in Super Bowls, Bill won't. :yesnod:

Real Deal Steel
02-03-2012, 07:41 PM
I can't argue Belichick's game planning and ability to adjust during games and yes it puts him on the same level as Chuck Noll but Emperor Chuck will forever be 4-0 in Super Bowls, Bill won't. :yesnod:

I agree with the above statement.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Hell NO... Noll did not film any opponents, he drafted a helluva football team in the 70's and did it the RIGHT way, i use to give props to the Cheaters (as much as it hurt-ed me) b4 i found out they had film the opponents practice.

SteelCityKid5
02-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Id say hes in the discussion. Noll won 4 SBs in what 6 years? Noll had a core group of players. Hall of Fame players. Belichick's first SB was nearly 10 years ago. That's very impressive. Not saying Belichick is better but hes in the discussion for sure.

Callax
02-03-2012, 09:06 PM
ahhhh

NOPE Belecheat cannot carry Chuck's jock strap

Nolrog
02-04-2012, 06:44 AM
Win or lose, Belicheck is already in the conversation with the best coaches ever.

coldrolled
02-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Go Giants....

Raleigh Steel
02-04-2012, 09:29 AM
i think this above anything keeps him out of chuck noll talk:

Cleveland Browns

From 1991 until 1995, Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. During his tenure in Cleveland he compiled a 36–44 record, leading the team to the playoffs in 1994, his only winning year with the team. In Belichick's last season in Cleveland the Browns finished 5–11.

chuck noll never had a winning percentage that low over a 5 year span...not even his first 5 years with the steelers.

and throw in the spygate era...and what you get is an extremely good coach, but still a few steps behind the emperor.

MattyVfromCT
02-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Name me one hall of fame head coach belichick beat in the super bowl. Martz? Fox? ANDY REID!?!?!? LOL! Chuck "only" beat bud grant and tom landry TWICE. Then look at his record in cleveland. ENOUGH SAID. Not in my book. GO GIANTS!

Nolrog
02-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Name me one hall of fame head coach belichick beat in the super bowl. Martz? Fox? ANDY REID!?!?!? LOL! Chuck "only" beat bud grant and tom landry TWICE. Then look at his record in cleveland. ENOUGH SAID. Not in my book. GO GIANTS!

That's really diminishing his accomplishment. It's not easy to win the SB once, let alone make it 5 times and win 3, maybe 4.

lloydfan4life
02-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Chuck didn't need to cheat to win.

sew091472
02-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Not with me. I can't stand the Pats, but I used to have a begrudging amount of respect for Belichick before spygate happened. Noll didn't have to cheat to beat his opponents.

MattyVfromCT
02-04-2012, 09:53 PM
That's really diminishing his accomplishment. It's not easy to win the SB once, let alone make it 5 times and win 3, maybe 4.

just pointing out noll faced greater teams and coaches. there is NO counterargument to that. that is fact, not an opinion. AND one thing noll isn't anywhere near on the same level of belichick is the amount of epic upset losses. for a guy who many claim to be the "best" with the "best" qb and the 'best" team every single year, how the hell does he lose 3 stright playoff games to double digit underdogs? a giants team in the super bowl that barely made the playoffs, and 2 losses IN THEIR BUILDING to a lousy 9-7 ravens team where joe flaccid was 4-10, 34 yds, ZERO td's and a pick, and the rex ryan/dirty sanchez jets? really?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2012, 02:56 AM
i think this above anything keeps him out of chuck noll talk:

Cleveland Browns

From 1991 until 1995, Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. During his tenure in Cleveland he compiled a 3644 record, leading the team to the playoffs in 1994, his only winning year with the team. In Belichick's last season in Cleveland the Browns finished 511.

chuck noll never had a winning percentage that low over a 5 year span...not even his first 5 years with the steelers.

and throw in the spygate era...and what you get is an extremely good coach, but still a few steps behind the emperor.

That whole Cleveland thing was a big reason that Belichick is the coach he is today. He handled that team horribly and the media even worse. He alienated himself completely and learned a tough lesson.

Like I said, I don't personally like him and I can't stand the Pats but the guy is a helluva coach.

LatrobePA
02-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Bellicheats is shady as F, that scoreboard deal against the Ravens was another cheat IMO, but you can't overlook what he's done there!

SteelerRush
02-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Not with me. I can't stand the Pats, but I used to have a begrudging amount of respect for Belichick before spygate happened. Noll didn't have to cheat to beat his opponents.
I have to agree. What I don"t understand in any other sport if you are caught cheating you are stripped of your title. Why did the Patriots get to keep the Lombardis?
Even if they win today I don"t see Belicheck in the same conversation with Noll.

Stone
02-05-2012, 01:17 PM
As much as we all hate what the Pats have done to us and the Cheatriots, Bill is the best at the grand total of X's and O's "and" managing prim a-dona thugs and *******s to play as a team.

coach
02-05-2012, 03:07 PM
I agree with the above statement.

Belicheat will forever be in a class all by himself. Some people call him a skilled game planner. Others call him a cheater. Since he got caught, we all know that it is the latter.

That is the only legacy he will leave when he finally finishes (outside of NE)..............and it looks good on him.

Stone
02-05-2012, 05:21 PM
I have to agree. What I don"t understand in any other sport if you are caught cheating you are stripped of your title. Why did the Patriots get to keep the Lombardis?
Even if they win today I don"t see Belicheck in the same conversation with Noll.

Simple $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

RIVERS OF STEEL
02-05-2012, 05:30 PM
no way, no how.

MattyVfromCT
02-06-2012, 07:01 PM
well we can officially say NO at this point lol! I LOVE IT!

Troyisabeast_43
02-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Brady and Belichick have had two chances now to tie Bradshaw and Noll as the only coach QB duo with 4 Super Bowl rings and they failed both times...So no he doesnt deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Noll...

coach
02-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Brady and Belichick have had two chances now to tie Bradshaw and Noll as the only coach QB duo with 4 Super Bowl rings and they failed both times...So no he doesnt deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Noll...

How about we toss him into a conversation with guys like Bud Grant, Dan Reeves or Marv Levy for losing multiple SB games when favored.

MattyVfromCT
02-06-2012, 10:17 PM
How about we toss him into a conversation with guys like Bud Grant, Dan Reeves or Marv Levy for losing multiple SB games when favored.

and not even just the 2 super bowls but the playoff losses in foxboro against the lousy rats and jets when the pats were favored by double digits in both games

LarryNJ
02-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Chuck didn't need to cheat to win.

The Raiders have some valid arguments for that statement. :lol::lol::lol:

:tt02::tt02: