PDA

View Full Version : Goodell wants more primetime games & league expansion

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2012, 02:07 PM
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Friday that NFL Network will air 13 games during the 2012 season.

Goodell said NFL Network will expand its current eight-game "Thursday Night Football" package starting in Week 2 and running through Week 15.
"Adding these games to the NFL Network schedule will give more players, teams, and cities the prime time stage,” Goodell said at his annual state of the NFL news conference. "Our fans can now get an early start on the NFL weekend in the season’s first 15 weeks."

The expansion of the package assures that every NFL team will have at least one game during prime time television hours. In addition, every club will play on one Thursday following a Sunday game.

Goodell also said expansion is not on the table at the moment. When asked about a team returning to Los Angeles, formerly the home of both the Rams and the Raiders franchises, Good responded that the league hasn't thought about it "at all."
However, Goodell did say Thursday (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8268f3b5) that if the 32-team league puts a franchise in Los Angeles, it would likely expand to 34 teams.

Goodell reiterated that the league would like to have a team in L.A., but said many issues exist that have to be worked out. There are discussions about two competing stadium sites in Los Angeles, and Goodell thinks the two sides can be brought together.

As for the NFL's International Series, Goodell said the league has a strategy to make the game "more successful on a global basis."

Asked about playing games in Latin America, Goodell said there's a great deal of interest there and that there are current discussions about setting up another game in Mexico. He said it's "something we'd like to get done sooner than later."

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2012, 02:08 PM
I guess I'm one of the few people that just don't like the Thursday night games. I'm ok with the occasional Saturday game and Monday nights but I just think you're messing with the teams ability to be competitive by sticking them on Thursday night.

JensK
02-03-2012, 04:14 PM
I like how they try to promote Football in other parts of the world and then throw in more Thursday night games which is practically impossible to watch unless you have no job of school to attend to.

LatrobePA
02-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Goodell should jump off a really really really tall building..

DIESELMAN
02-03-2012, 05:01 PM
They need to move the Jags out of Jacksonville and put that team in LA, 32 teams are enough for the league. As far as Thursday night games, I love them as far as being a NFL fan goes, sucks for the players to play on a short week but that's why they get paid the big bucks.

steelchamp204
02-03-2012, 05:48 PM
More teams? More Thursday night games?, Why did he get a contract extension? Thursday night games are not going to protect the players which he lives by, thats just gonna get more guys hurt imho, not enough time to recover from sunday. What is wrong with Saturday games? Saturday's would get way more viewers than thursdays would. Something just doesnt seem right to me here.

RIVERS OF STEEL
02-03-2012, 06:05 PM
That ******* just don't get it. Saturday night dumbass. Move J ville to somewhere that gives a shiate about foosball. Hello.

Scorp
02-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Does he really think he's doing us fans a favor? As a fan i'm very disappointed in the performance of his duty.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-03-2012, 07:03 PM
That ******* just don't get it. Saturday night dumbass. Move J ville to somewhere that gives a shiate about foosball. Hello.

:plus1: yea what he said, the owners must like his dumb ***:duh: why else would they extend his contract:thinking: he has destroyed the Team/game i have loved since 1972, Goodell is the :reddevil::cursin:

connecticutsteel
02-03-2012, 07:41 PM

He is just the owners puppet . as far as the league moving the jags to la or any team there they don't want to they want a new LA franchise because the team would have to buy into the league 1.2 billion and that gets whacked up between the other teams

Nolrog
02-03-2012, 07:54 PM
The expansion of the package assures that every NFL team will have at least one game during prime time television hours. In addition, every club will play on one Thursday following a Sunday game.

Yeah, I can't wait to see the ratings on that St. Louis vs Tampa Bay game. Gonna be a good 12, 13 people watching that aren't related to the coaches or players.

--- Added 2/3/2012 at 06:54 PM ---

I guess I'm one of the few people that just don't like the Thursday night games.

The problem that I have with Thursday night games is that they show them on the NFL network, which my cable company doesn't carry. They mind as well show them at 2AM in the morning for all the good it does me (I think they did change this though for next year.)

Speeed
02-03-2012, 08:24 PM
This will water down the league. Look at baseball and basketball, and even hockey. So many games and nobody gives a crap about 2/3 of them, at least until the end of the season.

More games, more players, and more coverage. That will water down product and spread things out way to thin. But what do I know, I am just a fan.

steelchamp204
02-03-2012, 08:52 PM
This will water down the league. Look at baseball and basketball, and even hockey. So many games and nobody gives a crap about 2/3 of them, at least until the end of the season.

More games, more players, and more coverage. That will water down product and spread things out way to thin. But what do I know, I am just a fan.

Im a bulls fan and ordered the nba package this year. I find it great seeing alot of nba games in a short amount of time. I kind of like watching basketball more than football. You dont have as many commercials, and the officiating is better(ring ring to Mr. Goodell, make them fulltime refs). I love the steelers more than the bulls, but the games are more enjoyable to watch imho

Speeed
02-03-2012, 11:15 PM
My language was too strong, which was used to make my point. I should not have siad "nobody." I should have said "most." You are an exception, I would categorize you as a vested follower.

I still standby my statement, that too much product will lessen demand.

Im a bulls fan and ordered the nba package this year. I find it great seeing alot of nba games in a short amount of time. I kind of like watching basketball more than football. You dont have as many commercials, and the officiating is better(ring ring to Mr. Goodell, make them fulltime refs). I love the steelers more than the bulls, but the games are more enjoyable to watch imho

acero
02-04-2012, 12:17 AM
screw roger goddell

Raleigh Steel
02-04-2012, 08:43 AM
i hate thursday night games.
i hate sunday night games.
i hate monday night games.

the league was built on sunday afternoon games. why fix what isn't broken? yeah, i know monday night games have been around a long time, but i still can't stand them, and the only time i watch them is when the steelers are playing.

and i hate roger goodell. let him move to the UK and start an american football league and leave this one the hell alone.

lloydfan4life
02-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Goodell should jump off a really really really tall building..

... and land square on his head.

It's hard enough staying up to watch monday night football then getting up tuesday morning to go to work, now we have to do it twice a week.

Why does this idiot have to continue to f&%k with a good thing?

Steelers/PSU Fan
02-04-2012, 05:05 PM
The problem that I have with Thursday night games is that they show them on the NFL network, which my cable company doesn't carry. They mind as well show them at 2AM in the morning for all the good it does me (I think they did change this though for next year.)

It's hard enough staying up to watch monday night football then getting up tuesday morning to go to work, now we have to do it twice a week.

I don't mind Thursday/Sunday/Monday night games since I'm in the mountain time zone, but if I was east coast, that would suck staying up late to watch a game then have to go to work the next day.

Most cable companies provide the NFL network for small extra charge, if not, switch to satellite like DirecTV or Dish. Or do what alot of people do and just watch it for free online, websites like firstrowsports.eu stream every football game. I used that website several times to watch the Steelers games, worked fine every time. As long as you have a decent internet connection, it will be fine. If you want to check out the quality, go to the website right now and click on AM. Football and then click on NFL Network. They stream the NFL Network 24/7.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2012, 11:39 PM
I think eventually you'll see the Monday games on NFL network too. It would make sense for them to do it so they can control that aspect more than they already do; primetime games.

Trust me, it does suck for us east coasters, when they go till midnight or 1 am and then you have to get up for work the next day...yuck! It's especially bad when the Steelers are playing because I'm so torqued up from the game, win or lose, that I can't sleep..lol