PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin could be waiting for Kirby Wilson to take over as OC

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Jim Caldwell, Todd Haley, Hue Jackson, Randy Fichtner, and Tom Clements have all been rumored candidates for the Steelers Offensive Coordinator position (Clements was just named the Packers OC today). Another name has surfaced according to ESPN's John Clayton tonight:

@ClaytonESPN: If RB coach Kirby Wilson gets healthy soon, he'll likely end up as Steelers offensive coordinator. They seem to be waiting for him.

While Kirby is not technically a new name, he is a bit of a surprising one at this juncture. Had Wilson not been involved in the tragic house fire that's had him intensive care since just before the wildcard game, he would have been a front runner. It's been widely speculated that he was going to be an eventual candidate to run the offense if and when Bruce Arians was no longer with the team. http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/../blog/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wordpress/img/trans.gifArians is gone but as of right now Wilson is in no position to do anything but hopefully heal to a full recovery. The team released a statement yesterday his status: "Mr. Wilson remains in serious condition in the Trauma Burn Center at UPMC Mercy in Pittsburgh. His status is stable, and he has started his physical rehabilitation. The Wilson family would like to thank everyone for their prayers and support."

There is no timetable at this point for Wilson to be able to come home that we've heard, let alone resume coaching. Considering the severity of the burns he suffered one would think it's going to be quite some time before he can resume the rigorous schedule of being an assistant coach in the NFL.

One thought process is that he knows the offense and how the Steelers like things done, plus the terminology would most likely remain intact so the learning curve for the offensive players would be less than if the team brings in someone from the outside. That being said, current QB Coach Randy Fichtner also presents a viable option for Tomlin to explore but as of yet we've received no word on a possible interview for him, or if one was previously done.

It's a risk if indeed Tomlin is waiting to see how Kirby recovers because should something happen where he is unable to return in the near future, the team could find themselves in a pressure situation to get a coordinator hired and start putting the new offense together. We'll have to wait and see how this pans out in the coming weeks but it's something to keep an eye on.

LatrobePA
02-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Mean while ideal candidates keep getting jobs! I hate their loyalty sometimes! Cold hearted maybe but I just feel like this team needs an outside hire here!

xBlitzBurghx
02-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Tomlin can go to hell

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

LevonKirkland99
02-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Tomlin can go to hell

What a stupid statement to make...some class is in order

coldrolled
02-02-2012, 09:55 PM
With the NFL pushing offense and hindering defenses, we need a super oc.. a master in offensive game plans and adjustments. Do we really think he is on our current team now? Is there one still available outside?

LevonKirkland99
02-02-2012, 10:01 PM
With the NFL pushing offense and hindering defenses, we need a super oc.. a master in offensive game plans and adjustments. Do we really think he is on our current team now? Is there one still available outside?

The Steelers always prefer to hire within....

connecticutsteel
02-02-2012, 10:37 PM
As much as Tomlin or the Rooney's want it Kirby Wilson will not be ready to coach in any capacity if the burns were as bad as they were reported.I had a friend suffer 2nd and 3rd degree burns to his legs and stomach in 2009 he had his last corrective surgery yesterday.Skin graphs,PT pain meds steroids and anti biotics he will be out of coaching til 2014 if those burns were as bad as i think but i don't know. If they are Waiting for him i don't see why they wouldn't announce his promotion as he continued to recover but they don't know if he will make it back on time. My guess is he won't but not because i don't want him to get the job just because i don't think he will be ready:imho:

Classic let's keep a story going because no desicion has been made

K Train
02-02-2012, 10:45 PM
thats a terrible idea

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-02-2012, 11:31 PM
he suffered 3rd degree burns over 50 % of his body what in the hell makes them think he will be ready to coach this year??

K Train
02-02-2012, 11:46 PM
hes STILL in critical condition

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Dammit can we stop foolin around and grab Haley!?

Dobre Shunka
02-03-2012, 01:40 AM
They're not waiting for KW, IMO. The poor man will not be up to it this season, if ever...

JollyRob68
02-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Other names/rumors, Alex Van Pelt & Rip Scherer. Any word on HUe JAckson? Or MArk Whipple although Tomlin let him go?

cmerrifield
02-03-2012, 07:19 AM
We should remember that these guys are just reporting on hunches and are seemingly bored right now. Tomlin could have been waiting on a prognosis on Wilson, but he is not going to wait around 6 months for the guy, that's too long. Tomlin and staff went to senior bowl practices the week after BA was "retired." So its only been a week. Remember in the last few years, it has been reported that Hampton is getting traded, Ben is getting traded, Essex would be our starting LT, etc. These guys just report whatever they are thinking, not necessarily what is really going on.

SteelDad
02-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Tomlin can go to hell

Save this hostility for the season dude.

I really like John Clayton but unless he has word from the Steelers FO, it's a really poor choice of judgement IMO to put something like this out there. The man is in ICU and was burned from head to toe! Clayton has to know better than to just surmise and then tweet something like this.

Goodfrom55
02-03-2012, 11:07 AM
The sooner the better here in naming an OC. The longer the Steelers wait, the less chance they have of hiring who they want, and will have to settle for someone.

JollyRob68
02-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Hue Jackson, I hope Hue gets an Interview and I think he'd have a Balanced Offense and will take Ben to new heights.

Goodfrom55
02-03-2012, 11:10 AM
As long as the Steelers have a fairly balanced attack and improved play calling, they will be fine no matter who they hire.

Nolrog
02-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Hue Jackson, I hope Hue gets an Interview and I think he'd have a Balanced Offense and will take Ben to new heights.

Wolverine?

LatrobePA
02-03-2012, 12:55 PM
This is stupid!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2012, 01:06 PM
I tell ya I think Hue Jackson would be quite an interesting candidate. He turned that offense in Oakland around and made them competitive. That whole Carson Palmer thing was questionable because they gave up so much.

His ability to call an offense though, I think he could be a real good potential candidate.

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-03-2012, 01:07 PM

Hell no

coldrolled
02-03-2012, 01:32 PM
The Kansas City Chiefs are talking to Brian Daboll about their vacant offensive-coordinator position, according to a league source.

The Chiefs have also looked at Jim Zorn as an in-house candidate and have spoken to former Raiders coordinator Al Saunders, who has worked previously in Kansas City.

Daboll, most recently Miami's offensive coordinator, has a history with general manager Scott Pioli and several executives expect him to be a top candidate for the job.

SteelCityKid5
02-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Yeah I mean I dont know what kind of coach Wilson is but dont you think after that happened, football would be the last thing on your mind? It's very unfortunate for Wilson but I dont see why youd wait if your the Steelers. Quiet frankly, I think its the wrong thing to do for Wilsons sake.

--- Added 2/3/2012 at 01:15 PM ---

Tomlin can go to hell

...?

No ones going to take you seriously if you keep taking mirror pics of yourself

CowherPower
02-04-2012, 09:12 PM
I would bet that Art Rooney II and/or Mike Tomlin have talked to him recently about this. His recovery is first and foremost the priority but if he thinks he'll be ready to coach again sometime in the near future they may be willing to wait.

It's such a risk though, if they do wait for him and something happens they'll be SOL. Installing an offense, even for an inhouse guy is not an easy thing to do. They'll need time to work with him in OTA's and mini camps all this offseason.

LatrobePA
02-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Haley is the only logical choice IMO!