PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Guards that may be available

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Yes, I know the team is around 25 million over the cap but let's think for a minute if they are able to widdle that down and be able to explore free agency for help on the offensive line. In theory if they were able to accomplish that they could then use that first pick on another need say at NT, OT, or Middle Linebacker ?

The Ravens were less optimistic about their chances of retaining free agent LG Ben Grubbs than Ray Rice at Wednesday's press conference.

Owner Steve Bisciotti and GM Ozzie Newsome "could make no guarantees" about Grubbs, saying they like him as a player but he's not necessarily a part of their future. Some top notch guards are going to hit the market if Grubbs and Carl Nicks aren't locked up before March 13. Eagles LG Evan Mathis, Titans RG Jake Scott, and 49ers RG Chilo Rachal will also command attention. - Source (http://www.onsidekick.com/streams/post/2006891)

K Train
02-01-2012, 07:24 PM
KRAIG URBIK is also available lol

Carl Nicks would legit be incredible, i dont see anyway hes not a cowboy next year though.

Grubbs would be a smack to the face of the ravens, but unfortunately out of the price range. draft is going to be the way to go. at least 4 guards could be opening day starters and contribute right away from the first 2 rounds

Nolrog
02-01-2012, 07:46 PM
This is one reason why they need to be brutal in their cuts this year and really trim the dead weight. Nothing personal, I love some of those guys, but business is business.

Bringing in a FA guard would allow them to focus the #1 on an impact player on D. They cannot just ignore FA year after year and expect to stay on top. There are too many needs now to be addressed in one draft. However, we really do need a very good one draft this year, with a couple immediate starters and a play maker. Can't be missing on the #2 or #3 pick this year. They are just too important.

Zachintosh66
02-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Nicks or Scott would be nice, but we all know we wont. Especially this year... when we have less then no $

Nolrog
02-01-2012, 08:08 PM
KRAIG URBIK is also available lol

Arugh.

connecticutsteel
02-01-2012, 09:13 PM
In reference to using the first rd pick for a ILB or NT there is only one guard with a 1st rd grade D. Decastro all of the others can be had in the 2-4 rd range. but NT Alameda Ta'amu or Poe are 1st rd as is Hightower but Burfict could fall as far as the 3rd rd.I don't know if Konz HAS SAID HE IS ENTERING THE DRAFT OR NOT

I wish they would shop it looks like philly is going to cut Cullen jenkins he would be awesome at NT

LatrobePA
02-01-2012, 09:22 PM
I try not to get excited about FA's seeing how this team will never shop!

elephantman
02-01-2012, 11:01 PM
I try not to get excited about FA's seeing how this team will never shop!

If their were one FA signing we could get , I would like an O lineman...We dont have time to wait for rookies to grow....an our Offense has too many weapons for the O Line to let us down...is their a way we could get a top Olineman for Wallace??...i would be all over that if we re-sign Cotchery

Real Deal Steel
02-01-2012, 11:12 PM
This is one reason why they need to be brutal in their cuts this year and really trim the dead weight. Nothing personal, I love some of those guys, but business is business.

Bringing in a FA guard would allow them to focus the #1 on an impact player on D. They cannot just ignore FA year after year and expect to stay on top. There are too many needs now to be addressed in one draft. However, we really do need a very good one draft this year, with a couple immediate starters and a play maker. Can't be missing on the #2 or #3 pick this year. They are just too important.

THANK YOU!!!!!!! We have to use free agency. We are at red alert status at the nose tackle position. And if we used free agency to address the line, the first round pick can be used for the nose tackle position.

I'm not saying we use a lot of free agency;just at this one position to allow us to use our draft picks on the other areas.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2012, 10:00 AM
I would love to see this team be able to use free agency like other teams do, just once to say we did it..LOL.

It's good that we build through the draft, don't get me wrong but this team avoids free agency like it's the plague. Using it correctly can land you some quality talent; Jeff Hartings comes to mind.

They would have to be extremely brutal with the cuts in order to free up enough money to sign virtually any of those guys.

SteelDad
02-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Any of those guys would be an upgrade but we have to see just what kind of money we are playing with when FA rolls around.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Nicks or Grubbs would be incredible, but there's no way we can sign them with our cap situation.

I wouldn't mind Miami's Vernon Carey or Buffalo's Kraig Urbik (RFA though). Carey is big and somewhat old (30), but solid. And yes, I know Urbik failed with us, but he was surprisingly competent for Buffalo this year. Not great, but better than Foster. For what it's worth, if you care about Pro Football Focus and their stats (I personally don't, but some do), Urbik was a top 20 guard this season.

JollyRob68
02-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Free AGent ILB Channing Crowder took a year off and said he's coming back to NFL. Should we sign him? Infact they can sign him now because he wasn't on a team last year.

Nolrog
02-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Free AGent ILB Channing Crowder took a year off and said he's coming back to NFL. Should we sign him? Infact they can sign him now because he wasn't on a team last year.

I don't know anything about him, but if he's an upgrade over Sylvester, I say go for it.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm not giving up on Sylvester yet. No matter how good he was he wasn't going to unseat James Farrior and more than likely not Larry Foote either. This is going to be his time to shine now coming up in his 3rd season.

This might be a year that surprises us with free agency. I know it sounds crazy but considering who they may have to cut, getting some free agents might be not be a bad idea. If you're going to bite the bullet, you might as well bite it hard.