PDA

View Full Version : Trade James Harrison to save cap room?

Reg3835
02-01-2012, 11:18 AM
With the Steelers 25 million over the cap next year and because of his age, would you trade James Harrison for a 1st and maybe 3rd round pick? The Steelers are going to make some hard decisions on Farrior, Foote, Hampton etc, etc to get under the salary cap. If say Dallas who could use a edge rusher opposite D. Ware offered the 14th overall pick and their 3rd rounder would you say yes? It would save around 6 million and possible get you David DeCastro plus another 3rd round pick.

OldSchool58
02-01-2012, 11:23 AM
HELL NO!!!
He's one of the few guys we have left with balls. As a matter of fact, I think the way he hits people and plays pissed off, Rooney should pay his fines for him. Harrison is the modern black Jack Lambert.

K Train
02-01-2012, 11:26 AM
so who could step in? jason worilds? lmao

if a team offered a first rounder id take it in a heartbeat....no way dallas would offer the 14th pick AND a 3rd rounder for a 33 year old OLB with back problems

Ibleedblk&gld
02-01-2012, 11:29 AM
please let this be your first and last post on this forum

LatrobePA
02-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Trade Reg3835!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Harrison's deal always counts heavily against the cap but he's still an integral part of the team. Like Ktrain said, there's nobody there to take his place right now capable of producing a pass rush like he can.

Nobody would give up a 1st round pick for Harrison at his age however they might give up a 2nd but you better make damn sure you use that pick on his replacement. That being said it wouldn't happen; they'll find other ways to trim their cap number.

Easy there man it's a fair question to ask and something others have said too, although unlikely to happen. :)

please let this be your first and last post on this forum

coldrolled
02-01-2012, 11:36 AM
it would have to be a trade to a team that the refs let off the hook, so harrison can play football. his hands are tied with us. The Pats or Packers could use him... he wouldnt get flagged to much there.

Reg3835
02-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Kevin Colbert has to look at every possible way to help this team in the short term and the long term. Harrison has how many productive years left...2? Having back issues and being in his mid 30's maybe dealing him now before he starts to decline should be looked at. I'm not saying trade him just to trade him. However if you can get a mid 1st round pick for him it should at least be thought about.

OldSchool58
02-01-2012, 11:43 AM
it would have to be a trade to a team that the refs let off the hook, so harrison can play football. his hands are tied with us. The Pats or Packers could use him... he wouldnt get flagged to much there.

Dude.......could you imagine trading Harrison to the Pats for just one day? He could go into practice, rip Brady bitches head off and be back in Pittsburgh in under 3 hours. Damn, talk about a wet dream. I gotta go clean myself.

Real Deal Steel
02-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Looking at the whole picture,

I'd seriously considering moving Harrison. I love him but if you think about his back issues, coupled with his age, coupled with the salary cap issue, and add it that he's targeted by the league which makes us a targeted team too, I'd move him for a 5th rounder. Seriously. I believe in moving a guy a year too early then a year too late.

And if you look at our history, that's what we've always done. We let Porter go, We did it to the other LB (blond who went to Carolina..can't think of his name right now). I say
we move him.

LatrobePA
02-01-2012, 11:53 AM
If we had a true replacement then I could see this but who do they have?

K Train
02-01-2012, 11:56 AM

I'd seriously considering moving Harrison. I love him but if you think about his back issues, coupled with his age, coupled with the salary cap issue, and add it that he's targeted by the league which makes us a targeted team too, I'd move him for a 5th rounder. Seriously. I believe in moving a guy a year too early then a year too late.

And if you look at our history, that's what we've always done. We let Porter go, We did it to the other LB (blond who went to Carolina..can't think of his name right now). I say
we move him.

his production is still unquestioned....and you said porter and kevin green...but we have vets on the team theyve held on to way longer than they should have and harrison is the least of the concern right now

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2012, 01:13 PM
I agree Harrison is not a big priority right now in terms of production. You figure he had the 2 back surgeries this offseason which didn't help. He admittedly did struggle early in the season and then had the orbital bone injury but when he came back he was playing like the guy we're used to seeing. Having a healthy Woodley back in the lineup will help that too.

I don't have confidence in Worilds to pick up the slack enough yet to warrant even considering moving Harrison. With the older and/or injured vets on the team you can save about 15 million in cap space if u cut them all. That's a bit drastic because the team can do a lot of restructuring of deals to free up space too.

I will admit the Steelers will have to groom Harrison's replacement here in the next year or 2. Whether or not that's Worilds remains to be seen.

jnes1216
02-01-2012, 02:24 PM

we move him.

Kevin Greene

tburg68
02-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Steelers should just trade Harrison & Farrior to SF for A Smith, P Wllis, & their first rounder.

xBlitzBurghx
02-01-2012, 03:18 PM
You guys are crazy. All I need to hear now is that harrison is "soft" lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

JollyRob68
02-01-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm the king of proposed trades and I say No way anyone would trade for him plus he reconstructs his deal to help us get under the cap when needed. He has about 1 or 2 years left before they have to let him go because of his age. The person to trade and get a first round pick or 2nd & a Player is Mike Wallace. Someones going to try and sign Wallace if they tender him just a 1st rounder and I'm fine with that. Wallace has speed but he doesn't go up after the ball and catch it at its highest point. He's not Physical like A.Brown.

papabaier
02-01-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm the king of proposed trades and I say No way anyone would trade for him plus he reconstructs his deal to help us get under the cap when needed. He has about 1 or 2 years left before they have to let him go because of his age. The person to trade and get a first round pick or 2nd & a Player is Mike Wallace. Someones going to try and sign Wallace if they tender him just a 1st rounder and I'm fine with that. Wallace has speed but he doesn't go up after the ball and catch it at its highest point. He's not Physical like A.Brown.

I agree with you totally here Jolly. He is still integral to achieving great defense. No one there right now to take up the slack. I'm sure Harrison and other well compensated palyers will restructure to keep the team thriving on dee. Wallace is good, but I think Steelers blessed with others who could in long run make a bigger impact than Mike.

elephantman
02-01-2012, 04:07 PM

^agree...Wallace for a 1st rounder..and take an O Lineman ...Hell he's worth a 2nd rounder IMO...we would be in Very Good shape...specially if we keeep corchery....I am NOT impressed with Wallace...soft

xBlitzBurghx
02-01-2012, 04:16 PM
This forum is soft. My moneys so soft too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

LatrobePA
02-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Steelers should just trade Harrison & Farrior to SF for A Smith, P Wllis, & their first rounder.

I've some ocean front property in Ohio I'd be willing to throw in too!

Real Deal Steel
02-01-2012, 05:11 PM
We have a ton of age on this team and we are over the cap big time.

There are some very tough decisions that are going to have to be made in the next 4-6 months and we can't be fearful. We have always been able to find LB when we've needed to and I have faith that Worilds can be a great LB with another good off-season and camp under his belt. At some point, youth has to be served. Change is never comfortable; but often neccessary.

Zachintosh66
02-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Im not gonna blast this kid b/c I do think Harrison is overrated. Maybe just his back but hes wasnt himself last year. Hes had decent to good numbers, but Im not sold on him. Never have been including his monsterous year when he was DPOY. I watched him play. I cant be sold on him from the "eye-ball test". His biggest play of his career was admittedly a blown assignment and the ball was thrown right to him (Super Bowl INT TD). But hey its better to be lucky than good. Fact is he read it wrong and was supposed to rush the QB. (Glad he was wrong tho, dont get me wrong!) Hes not very bright and is now 33 with a bad back, coming off a injury riddled season.

Trading him might be an option, but it wouldnt do us any good bc we would have to draft a OLB with one of our first few picks. So I dont see how that would improve our team. While Im not a huge head over heels Harrison fan, I do acknowledge that he is still one of the better OLBs in the game. Just dont agree that he is #1 like many feel and I don't agree w/ the $ he was paid, but most athletes are overpaid anyways...

So I guess im just ranting, lol.

SteelCityKid5
02-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Kevin Colbert has to look at every possible way to help this team in the short term and the long term. Harrison has how many productive years left...2? Having back issues and being in his mid 30's maybe dealing him now before he starts to decline should be looked at. I'm not saying trade him just to trade him. However if you can get a mid 1st round pick for him it should at least be thought about.

You answered the question for most GMs out there. No ones is giving up a first rounder

Think before you post.. good Lord

Nolrog
02-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Oh for ****s sake. More of this?

Speeed
02-01-2012, 08:10 PM
I know, I am waiting for a "Should we trade Rooney?" thread.

Oh for ****s sake. More of this?

chisteeler
02-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I know, I am waiting for a "Should we trade Rooney?" thread.

I'd be interested if we knew for sure that we could get Jerry Jones and a second round draft pick...lol:lol:

connecticutsteel
02-01-2012, 09:05 PM
I don't think we could trade Harrison outright he would have to a part of a bundle to maximize his value so say Ziggy Hood,James Harrison,Doug Legursky,Rashad Mendenhall,Emanuelle Sanders and David johnson to the JETS for Aaron Maybin,Kendrick Ellis,Matt slauson,Darrelle Revis.Something like that.But I'm not a GM and this is pretty out there but if it ever went down our LB'S could rush the passer all day that would be unfair revis clark polamalu Taylor FTW

LOL...............................

Really all we have to do is cut Chris Kemoeatu 2,392,332
Farrior 2,825,000
Foote 3,000,000
Smith 2,109,191
B-Mac 2,500,000
Battle 1,037,500
--------------------------
13,864,023 off the cap
now if you add Casey Hampton to the equation
Big Snak 5,890,000
--------------------
19,754,023 off the cap
add some Hines ward 3,390,000

23,144,023 off the cap
only1,855,977 over the cap and we move the youngsters up and slide the rookies up a notch
Chances are they will restructure some of these players deals so it won't be this dramatic

SteelDad
02-02-2012, 08:33 AM
The only reason this is far-fetched is because the NFL doesn't trade like the NBA. No one is going to touch JH with his salary, back issues, age, mileage and his rep for "illegal hitting."

If we learned anything this season about James its that no matter how much we scream he isn't going to get the holding calls we believe he should. He was still pretty productive even without Wood on the other side.

I understand the thinking with trading James for financial reasons but it isn't going to happen.

LatrobePA
02-02-2012, 08:43 AM
The only reason this is far-fetched is because the NFL doesn't trade like the NBA. No one is going to touch JH with his salary, back issues, age, mileage and his rep for "illegal hitting."

If we learned anything this season about James its that no matter how much we scream he isn't going to get the holding calls we believe he should. He was still pretty productive even without Wood on the other side.

I understand the thinking with trading James for financial reasons but it isn't going to happen.

Raiders would love him! lol

Real Deal Steel
02-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Well, trade value wise, Harrison has none because of the mileage on him. But I do think we need to move away from him now. His salary is hurting us. We can go with Worilds.

SteelDad
02-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Raiders would love him! lol

Aww crap! You're probably right!!!!

Mr. Goosemahn
02-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Really all we have to do is cut Chris Kemoeatu 2,392,332
Farrior 2,825,000
Foote 3,000,000
Smith 2,109,191
B-Mac 2,500,000
Battle 1,037,500
--------------------------
13,864,023 off the cap
now if you add Casey Hampton to the equation
Big Snak 5,890,000
--------------------
19,754,023 off the cap
add some Hines ward 3,390,000

23,144,023 off the cap
only1,855,977 over the cap and we move the youngsters up and slide the rookies up a notch
Chances are they will restructure some of these players deals so it won't be this dramatic

We need to lose far more than $25 million in cap room for next year. We're $20 million over the cap with only 44 players signed, with some of them being lower-end players (Chad Spann, Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith, Mortty Ivy, Erik Clanton, Miguel Chavis, and Al Woods).

We need about $5 million to sign draft picks, and then some to resign a couple of the following players:

QB Byron Leftwich
QB Charlie Batch
QB Dennis Dixon
RB Mewelde Moore
WR Mike Wallace
WR Jerricho Cotchery
TE David Johnson
OL Max Starks
OL Ramon Foster
OL Doug Legursky
OL Trai Essex
OL Jamon Meredith
CB William Gay
CB Keenan Lewis
S Ryan Mundy
P Daniel Sepulveda

Five of those players were consistent starters for us this season (Wallace, Starks, Foster, Legursky, and Gay), although some are replaceable.

I'd be really hesitant to trade Harrison because of the impact he has on the field, and because I think Worilds still needs a bit more development. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he was traded, or maybe even cut, but I certainly wouldn't like it. OLB is arguably the easiest position to fill up on our defense, and since we've had to make tough decisions like this in the past (Joey Porter comes to mind) it could happen again. It would be a sad day for me though.