PDA

View Full Version : Can Pouncey be as good as Dawson was?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2012, 05:12 PM
There's an article on the official website today (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Dawson-re-defined-his-position/b404bee9-0e4f-438a-802c-cba42f6a99db) talking about had Dermontti Dawson revolutionized the Center position. There really wasn't a lineman playing during his era that could pull and get out in front of the Full Back, let alone the Running Back and make the blocks to spring him. It's even more difficult playing Center having to snap the ball and then get out and start running.

Pouncey was awesome in 2010 but in 2011 he barely saw the field with any consistency in the 2nd half of the season. He had ankle surgery earlier this month which will hopefully fix that problematic ankle. If it does the sky is the limit but you wonder how he'll be ranked in the next 5-10 yrs against the great Centers the Steelers have had.

coldrolled
01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Pick the Number one Center and slide him over to guard

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-31-2012, 06:41 PM
there isn't even a discussion here until he stays healthy !!

Nolrog
01-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Pick the Number one Center and slide him over to guard

I'd rather see them get the best guard possible. I'm not a big fan of picking someone with the intention of changing their position.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2012, 06:54 PM
Pouncey certainly has the skills to be a great center for the next 10-12 years, maybe longer. The Steelers don't draft Center's very often so they make sure they get a good one when it's time to do so. When he can plant on that ankle he's able to hold up against any NT in the league.

LevonKirkland99
01-31-2012, 09:47 PM
its unfair to compare Pouncey to Dawson... Pouncey has a lot to learn.. I mean a lot!

I read the post on the Steelers web site last night, great article.

K Train
01-31-2012, 10:02 PM
I'd rather see them get the best guard possible. I'm not a big fan of picking someone with the intention of changing their position.
id be fine with that too for sure, but as much as i love pouncey at center...hed be brilliant at LG

steelchamp204
02-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Off the field, nope. On the field................Let me rephrase, when hes actually on the field hes still not better. He has growth to do on and off the field imho

Dobre Shunka
02-01-2012, 12:25 AM
He certainly has the ability to be as good, but in a different way. They're not the same animal.

OldSchool58
02-01-2012, 07:29 AM
I love Pouncy, but let's be honest. A diamond surrounded by diamonds isn't all that special. You take that diamond and put it in the middle of a pile of sh*t and it's gonna look awsome. Let's give the man some help on the line and see what happens.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2012, 05:42 PM
He was definitely a diamond surrounded by an inept line last year. I won't say a complete "pile of ****" because Flozell Adams played well last year and Foster had a decent year. Kemo was up and down and Scott was terrible. So he had about half of a decent line around him. ;)

HUNT4SEVEN
02-01-2012, 05:43 PM
If Pouncey stays healthy he will surpass what Dawson has done IMO, the reason i say this is because he stabilizes the line, when he plays the line holds up when he out those cats are atrocious, except for Gilbert we need 2 Guards but if we get a good LG and Pouncey surgical repair ankle holds up next year watch how bad *** this O-Line will be:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02: