PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Ward

jnes1216
01-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Lets face it, as much as I love the guy, his playing time has dropped considerably and next year if he plays, it will probably be less. He's had a stellar career and should probably retire this offseason.

With a new OC coming in, it seems like good timing. Do the Steelers FO try to coax Ward into retirement? If so, hopefully they learned from the BA situation and handle it in the media much better, maybe wait until late in the offseason to announce it.

If Haley and any other outside candidates fall through and RF is promoted to OC, does this leave a spot open for Ward in the coaching dept?

Mr. Goosemahn
01-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Lets face it, as much as I love the guy, his playing time has dropped considerably and next year if he plays, it will probably be less. He's had a stellar career and should probably retire this offseason.

With a new OC coming in, it seems like good timing. Do the Steelers FO try to coax Ward into retirement? If so, hopefully they learned from the BA situation and handle it in the media much better, maybe wait until late in the offseason to announce it.

If Haley and any other outside candidates fall through and RF is promoted to OC, does this leave a spot open for Ward in the coaching dept?

The organization won't get rid of him, IMO. Bruce Arians wanted him gone since 2010, supposedly, but the FO (Rooney's too, in all likelihood), kept him. I think he'll have to take a massive paycut though, close to vet minimum, to stay with the team.

With Cotchery being a free agent and a legitimate concern that Wallace could be taken away, he'll probably be asked to restructure.

OldSchool58
01-31-2012, 07:06 AM
With Cotchery being a free agent and a legitimate concern that Wallace could be taken away, he'll probably be asked to restructure.

I agree. Ward would be worth the money if all he did was stay around and help guide the young guys......sort of like what Ray Lewis will do. He'll take a pay cut because he's loyal and doesn't want to be a part of anything that isn't Pittsburgh football. We can't just dump guys who have played their asses off for us for years. Anybody who lays Ed Reed out like a prison bi**h is my hero any day.:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2012, 08:11 AM
Rumors have been tossed around that since Arians is no longer with the team, that may make Ward's decision to stick around for less money, easier. I'm sure he wasn't happy with the lack of playing time and since Arians was calling the plays, you can see the correlation there.

If it comes down to eitehr Cotchery or Ward, you have to keep Cotchery and see if you can ink him to a 3 yr. deal or something.

MDSteel15
01-31-2012, 08:50 AM
Why does it have to come down to one or the other? We only have 4 under contract! We keep 6 WRs usually and all that needs to be done is re-structure Hines' contract, re-sign Cotch and draft a nice young project in the mid to late rounds.... :thinking:

LatrobePA
01-31-2012, 08:57 AM
What can Ward offer other than his name? Not much, sorry gang we've kept old stiffs for too long as it is, I'd send him packing...

connecticutsteel
01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
It pains me to think Ward could be in a different uniform next year but if he wants to play he may have to . The good news is Cotchery wants to come back which means he won't just burn out the door

steelspikes
01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Encourage him to retire. He's got enough records already. Maybe he could open up a dancing salon.

Real Deal Steel
01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
What can Ward offer other than his name? Not much, sorry gang we've kept old stiffs for too long as it is, I'd send him packing...

In football, for a franchise to continually be good, hard decisions have to be made and someone isn't going to be happy when those decisions are made. That someone in this
case should be Ward.

He can't play any more. It's as simple as that. When the 49ers let Rice go, the philosophy was, " It's better to let a guy go a year too early then a year too late." And I agree with this philosophy. If Ward still wants to play, he can go do it on another team.

We have 4 good WR in Wallace, Brown, Sanders and Cotchery and that's enough. And considering we are trying to refocus and get the running game back on track, we reeeeaaally don't need Ward.

Ultimately, just like in every sport, youth must be served. It's a cruel part of the game..but it's part of the game non the less.

Ward will always be welcomed her in Pittsburgh and treated like the stud that he was. But his time is up as a player.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-31-2012, 11:51 AM
The team needs the money for fresh meat. It is the NFL. everyone in the games know's when it's time. Hines it's time. Thanks for the memories.

tburg68
01-31-2012, 01:58 PM
If he is happy coming back at veteran minimum and as the 4th or 5th receiver then bring him back, if not then you may see him in another uniform. Hines is one of my favorite Steelers of all time, but if Cotchery comes back, he would be the 5th best option.

JollyRob68
01-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Rumors have been tossed around that since Arians is no longer with the team, that may make Ward's decision to stick around for less money, easier. I'm sure he wasn't happy with the lack of playing time and since Arians was calling the plays, you can see the correlation there.

If it comes down to eitehr Cotchery or Ward, you have to keep Cotchery and see if you can ink him to a 3 yr. deal or something.

I agree Keep Cotchery on a 3 year deal and do it before free agency starts.

--- Added 1/31/2012 at 02:24 PM ---

I love Ward but its time to retire. If Ward played special teams I'd say keep him but he doesn't. Its time to get the young guys on the field and see what they can do. We lost Tyler Grisham to Denver. I like him he was Ward/Welker like firery kid.

HUNT4SEVEN
01-31-2012, 07:00 PM
I am split on this meaning if he leaves i'm ok with it, and if he stays i'm ok with that to, Cotchery has to be resigned though IMO, Battle better be GONE he is worthless...

Diehardsteel
01-31-2012, 07:30 PM
What can Ward offer other than his name?

That's pretty spot on.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2012, 09:30 PM
This is somewhat of a test for Tomlin and the Rooney's right now. Will they hang onto Ward just because he's such a popular veteran like they have in the past or will they make the tough call and release him. I mean if he wanted to come back for the league minimum then sure, bring him back as insurance. He won't do that though I don't think. He's going to want I would think at least 2 million to play and he'd get that elsewhere but the team most likely can't afford that.

LevonKirkland99
01-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Go play for another team Hines. We're gonna be a mediocre team this year anyways.....another stupid a$$ thread about Ward!:cursin:

--- Added 1/31/2012 at 08:44 PM ---

That's pretty spot on.

a classic dumb comment

Diehardsteel
02-01-2012, 02:33 AM
a classic dumb comment

Is this coming from the guy that I see complaining about anyone being somewhat critical or just telling the plain old truth about our players/coaches in tons of threads. You don't always have to be kissing players/coaches asses. I love Ward but his time is coming. If not this year then the next. I don't mind him restructuring. I just want to focus on the younger and future stars for us. Ward isn't the future. To tell the truth, I was kinda ticked off he got so much more play time than Cotchery last year. There's no excuse for that one in my mind.

OldSchool58
02-01-2012, 07:16 AM
I'll go along with you guys as far as Ward being at or near the end of his career, but damn, this man has worked his freakin' *** off for us from day one. If nothing else, bring him in as an assistant WR coach. His experience and knowledge of the game in a coaching capacity would put the new kids at the top of the ladder.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2012, 03:11 PM
I've heard a lot of people say that the team should bring Ward back as an assistant coach. Most people close to the team say he wouldn't be ready to be a coach yet, he still thinks he can play a couple years yet. Most of the time when players retire they don't normally jump right into coaching, they take a couple years and do media work or other projects and then get in it. You need time to get in the right frame of mind from being a player to a regular person, adjust from the daily NFL grind to a more normal type of routine.

I think he would make a great coach at some point regardless of when he retires.

Diehardsteel
02-02-2012, 04:13 PM
I think he would make a great coach at some point regardless of when he retires.

No doubt about it! I would love that.

DIESELMAN
02-03-2012, 02:56 AM
The waiting game: Hines Ward puts ball is in Steelers' court.....

Friday, February 03, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Wide receiver Hines Ward told coach Mike Tomlin and team president Art Rooney II that he would like to return to the Steelers next season.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Hines Ward talked to Mike Tomlin on Monday at the Steelers facility on the South Side and to team president Art Rooney II earlier, letting them know he wants to play in 2012 in Pittsburgh.

"I just wanted to let them know I want to be here, I want to play," said Ward, who on Sunday will be part of NBC's five-hour Super Bowl pregame show. "I have two years on my contact. I know I have to restructure, but, under the circumstances, I think I can still play football."

The '11 season was difficult for the veteran receiver. He was benched as a starter and buried deep on the depth chart for the Nov. 13 game against Cincinnati, then reinstalled as the starter in the next game against Kansas City. Ultimately, a concerted and successful effort was made to provide him with the opportunity to make his 1,000th career reception in the regular-season finale in Cleveland.

Ward maintained throughout the season that he wanted to play in '12. The unknown is whether the Steelers want him. He said he received no specific indication from Rooney and Tomlin about their intentions but got somewhat of a feeling they want him back.

"We have so many issues, we're $30 million over the cap," Ward said. "We have to figure a way to get that down. My cap number is not huge if I restructure [$4 million in salary]. There's like 10 other guys they have to get.

"They really didn't say [definitively]. It wasn't good, it wasn't bad. We were just talking."

Ward, the most prolific and decorated Steelers receiver of all time, opened his 14th season as he did the previous 12, as one of two starters. He caught 20 passes in his first five games but finished with 46, the lowest total since his rookie season in 1998.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, thought to be the one who recommended Ward be demoted, did not have his contract renewed by the Steelers and accepted a job Monday as offensive coordinator of the Indianapolis Colts.

"I'm not going to get into whatever happened last season," Ward said of his demotion.

"I don't think about Bruce leaving. I wish him nothing but the best. I don't know if he was an obstacle. I was a player, he was the coach, they made decisions, and I moved on. I don't have anything negative to say, I'd just rather not say anything."

Ward, who turns 36 March 8, had surgery to remove bone fragments from his right ankle. He will resume working out Monday at home in suburban Atlanta toward what he hopes will be his 15th season with the Steelers.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2012, 08:09 AM
The longer this drags on the more likely it is, in my opinion, that Ward's deal will get restructured and they'll keep him around. This team just doesn't normally get into this type of major cap trouble, but they always find a way out of it.

For whatever reason I just think if he's willing to restructure enough that they'll bring him back but I just hope it's not at the cost of losing Cotchery.

Goodfrom55
02-03-2012, 11:12 AM
My guess is he will restructure for the vet minumum and come into camp as the #5 WR. Hines can just about catch anything thrown at him, but his speed is gone. If I had to guess at this point, I'd say he runs about a 4.7 or 4.8

LatrobePA
02-04-2012, 04:39 PM
STEELERS' WARD HAS ANKLE SURGERY BUT NO GUARANTEES FROM TEAM
NFL.com
Published: February 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Pittsburgh wide receiver Hines Ward underwent surgery to remove bone fragments from his right ankle recently but he remained committed to returning to the Steelers for his 15th season, saying again that he is willing to take a pay cut to do so, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Friday.

Ward, who did not say when he had the surgery but did say he will resume working out on Monday, told the newspaper he has met with team president Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin without receiving any guarantees of his return.

"They really didn't say [definitively]," Ward told the Post-Gazette. "It wasn't good, it wasn't bad. We were just talking."

Ward, who will turn 36 in March, is scheduled to make $4 million next season.

"I just wanted to let them know I want to be here, I want to play," Ward told the newspaper. "I have two years on my contact. I know I have to restructure, but, under the circumstances, I think I can still play football."

A decision should come soon. The Post-Gazette reported last month that a clause in Ward's contract stipulates that he must be released or guaranteed his job with the Steelers by March 1.

Ward had only 46 receptions this season, his lowest total since his rookie season. He finished with 381 receiving yards and two touchdowns.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE:
Facebook
Twitter

LevonKirkland99
02-04-2012, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=BlitzburghRockCity;483056]The longer this drags on the more likely it is, in my opinion, that Ward's deal will get restructured and they'll keep him around. This team just doesn't normally get into this type of major cap trouble, but they always find a way out of it.

For whatever reason I just think if he's willing to restructure enough that they'll bring him back but I just hope it's not at the cost of losing Cotchery.[/QUO

I wonder why the Rooneys want to keep him around? It is safe to say that most Steeler fans want him to retire.

The same people that should not bitch and moan if he goes elsewhere...