PDA

View Full Version : Keith Butler to stay with Steelers

SteelCityKid5
01-30-2012, 08:47 PM
According to Gerry Dulac's Twitter account:

"gerrydulac Gerry Dulac
LB Coach Keith Butler staying with Steelers and not going to Indy to be defensive coordinator."

"gerrydulac Gerry Dulac
Butler met today with team prez Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin and decided against going for interview."

This is good news. I didnt want to lose him.

LatrobePA
01-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Good deal I think he'll be a good DC for us.

Ibleedblk&gld
01-30-2012, 09:00 PM
word.

coldrolled
01-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Good deal I think he'll be a good DC for us.

Make him the DC now.

JensK
01-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Perfect! They must have told him that Lebeau is only getting a couple of more years then... No way he'd stay otherwise.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2012, 09:27 PM
See!! The Sky isn't falling after all! LOL That's one less thing to worry about now.

Go 'Lers
01-30-2012, 09:52 PM
I like Lebeau and all but you can't coach forever. This almost confirms it, Butler is the heir apparent to becoming DC once Lebeau decides to hang up the whistle.

He knows the system, built an AWESOME linebacking group over the past decade, and will keep us a top defense.

That makes one of my three wishes coming true this off season. The other are...

Hines Ward retires and frees up precious cap space and a roster spot
The Steelers don't go back to the "old offense" and continue to develop a great passing game and have the run game catch up

SteelCityKid5
01-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Yeah I dont see how Butler didnt stay if Tomlin and Rooney didnt tell him the defense is his when Lebeau is done. Now that Butler stayed, it makes me wonder how much long Lebeau is gonna coach. I dont think Butler stays if he know Lebeau is gonna be here awhile.

HUNT4SEVEN
01-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Make him the DC now.

THIS:plus1: That would be nice,hopefully when he does take over i hope he simplify the defense so we can get our young talent on the field sooner.:tt02:

lloydfan4life
01-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Finally some positive news from the Black & Gold. :cope:

Hope Dulac knows what he's talking about. :crossfingers:

DIESELMAN
01-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Steelers' LBs coach Butler to stick with staff
Monday, January 30, 2012
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Linebackers coach Keith Butler has decided against interviewing for the defensive coordinator position with the Indianapolis Colts and will remain with the Steelers, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Butler was scheduled to interview with new Colts Coach Chuck Pagano on Tuesday in Indianapolis, but he changed his mind after meeting today with team president Art Rooney II and Coach Mike Tomlin.

Butler was told after the 2009 season he will be the team's defensive coordinator when Dick LeBeau retires -- a handshake agreement that was made when he turned down the Miami Dolphins offer to become their defensive coordinator.

It is not known what was said at today's meeting, but Butler was likely given a stronger indication -- not to mention a hefty new contract -- about when he might replace LeBeau, who is 74. Butler knows which side of his bread is buttered. Stick with a winner, Indy won't be doing anything for a long time, especially with BA as their OC.

SteelerCountry58
01-31-2012, 12:09 AM
I think LeBeau will stay for this coming year then step aside for Butler.
Butler knows this situation is better for his career and family and I'm
sure the Rooney's have this transition ready to go when the time arises.

Real Deal Steel
01-31-2012, 12:17 AM
It's obvious that Labeau has only two more years at the most.

coldrolled
01-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Indy won't be doing anything for a long time, especially with BA as their OC.

Read this... i hope andrew luck is a heavy weight qb and they have a quality FG kicker

BA and a new QB .... Wow..

According to the story, the vertebrae in Manning's neck have healed as expected and he's been throwing a football since December, but the nerves in his arm aren't progressing enough to indicate that he will play again, as shown by the velocity in his passes.

The Yahoo! story also quoted two doctors with experience in spinal fusion surgery who said it could take up to one year before Manning will even know if he can return.

JollyRob68
01-31-2012, 07:57 AM
:plus1:
Make him the DC now.

:plus1::tt02::cope::imho::clap::yellowthumb: I'm so glad he's staying. It made my night.

OldSchool58
01-31-2012, 08:00 AM
With BA out and Butler staying, that makes 2 excellent decisions Art Rooney II has made this off season. I'm starting to get the feeling we're onto something now. Up next, we fix our O-line and bring in a fullback.

UKSTEELER
01-31-2012, 09:15 AM
great news, . . . looks like someone else wasn't all that big on Arians either lol:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2012, 09:20 AM
The Indianapolis Colts have already filled one coordinator position with a former Steelers assistant coach. But they are not going to fill the other that way.

Linebackers coach Keith Butler has decided against interviewing for the defensive coordinator position with the Colts and is going to remain with the Steelers, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Butler was scheduled to interview with new Colts coach Chuck Pagano today in Indianapolis, but he changed his mind and canceled the trip after meeting Monday with team president Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin.

Butler was told after the 2009 season he will be the team's defensive coordinator when Dick LeBeau retires -- a handshake agreement that was made when Butler turned down the Miami Dolphins offer to become their defensive coordinator.
It is not known what was said at Monday's meeting, but Butler was likely given a stronger guarantee -- not to mention a hefty new contract -- about when he might replace LeBeau, who is 74.

Last year, the Steelers prevented Butler from interviewing for the defensive coordinator position in Arizona by refusing to grant permission to the Cardinals to speak to him.

However, the Steelers could not do that this time because Butler did not have a contract for next season.

Meantime, the Steelers search for an offensive coordinator will continue after one of their candidates, former Colts coach Jim Caldwell, was hired to be the quarterbacks coach in Baltimore.

Caldwell, who was fired after the 2011 season, was at the Steelers offices Saturday and interviewed with Tomlin about replacing Arians as offensive coordinator.
Arians, who was not offered a contract to return for the 2012 season, was in Indianapolis Monday to finalize a deal to become the new offensive coordinator for the Colts -- a move that comes 10 days after the Steelers announced he was retiring.

Arians, though, never had any intention of retiring. His departure from the team was phrased that way only because the Steelers would not renew his contract.

Source (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12031/1207071-66.stm#ixzz1l2cKgmdX)

CowherPower
01-31-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm excited to see Coach Butler staying with the team. He has great insight into how the Steelers run their defense and when the time comes he will no doubt take over and put his own stamp on his group. I wonder how much of a raise he got in his new contract the Rooney's offered him to stick around?

Raleigh Steel
01-31-2012, 02:58 PM
maybe the steelers told lebeau that they were getting rid of arians and didn't want 2 new coordinators in the same year. so lebeau is here for what will be his final season while getting keith more input in the defense while the steelers break in a new OC.

maybe....

JollyRob68
01-31-2012, 04:40 PM
maybe the steelers told lebeau that they were getting rid of arians and didn't want 2 new coordinators in the same year. so lebeau is here for what will be his final season while getting keith more input in the defense while the steelers break in a new OC.

maybe....

You might be right and that makes sense. However, I'd love to see Keith Butler become The DC NOW and get our younger talent on the field.

jnes1216
01-31-2012, 05:50 PM
You might be right and that makes sense. However, I'd love to see Keith Butler become The DC NOW and get our younger talent on the field.

Do we know Butler would put the younger guys in more frequently? Just playing devils advocate here. We haven't seen a lot of Sylvester getting playing time at ILB. Usually the first to go in is Foote. I'm sure LeBeau gets the final say on who goes in but I would think he would respect Butler enough to listen to him when he tells LeBeau "hey this guy needs some playing time"

Zachintosh66
01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
wonder what kind of raise he got...

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Fn confused?

Dobre Shunka
02-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Great news IMO. KB is the heir apparent and rightfully so. Don't think there is any need to rush DL's exit, just knowing it's yours when the time comes along with some hefty commitment money right now to show "we're" serious prolly did the trick. That's all the respect anyone really needs to stay committed right back atcha.