PDA

View Full Version : Caldwell leaves Pittsburgh without a deal but...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2012, 09:56 PM
According to sources, Jim Caldwell met with Steelers officials on Friday of this week and had breakfast with Mike Tomlin Saturday morning before leaving town. Caldwell's representative, Dennis Coleman, said no terms were discussed on a potential deal either. That doesn't mean that isn't still in the running though.

The team would be unlikely to announce any decision on a new Offensive Coordinator until early next week when Ben Roethlisberger returns from the Pro Bowl in Hawaii. It would make sense for them to talk with Ben first and let him know their intentions and decide on a game plan when it comes to the media, before making a decision on a new play caller.

It's a common practice for teams to get the input of their franchise Quarterback when it comes to making decisions that directly affect the direction of the offense. The Rooney's and Mike Tomlin will make their decision, or perhaps already have but will want to keep Ben in the loop and let him know where they are coming from. After the debacle that was the Bruce Arians departure it's better to get your ducks in a row before releasing any new information to the media about any interviews or potential hires. - Source (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/source-caldwell-met-with-steelers-officials-on-friday/46503/)

LatrobePA
01-28-2012, 09:59 PM
I'd prefer him over an inside hire but still not all that impressed.

JollyRob68
01-28-2012, 10:00 PM
THanks,
I agree they need to have their ducks in a row. Plus if your going to promote or not promote Randy Fichtner, you at least want him to hear it from you and not NFL NEtwork/ESPN. It smart for them to wait until Ben & RAndy are back plus Tomlin may want to interview Randy for the position.

Dobre Shunka
01-29-2012, 12:01 AM
You all thought BA was bad. Just wait.

Shish, it's gonna get fugly!

jnes1216
01-29-2012, 01:15 AM
I don't know if I have become a name-brand buyer or what, but Caldwell nor Fichtner install a whole lot of confidence. I envision both sitting on the front porch swing giving what the defense dictates. I want a go-getter ready to target the endzone. It HAS become an offense driven league, Goodell has seen to that. Fine we must adapt, we do it better than most (usually). The new OC better drive into town with a uhaul carrying his bojingles so he can tell Ben what WILL happen with this offense. I've heard some on here carrying on about the ground n pound of the 49ers offense. Well David Akers kicked 8,000,000 FG's this year for a reason. They could not convert. I believe the red zone is about imposing your will. I don't care if its a fake FG every time, we better run that to perfection. The OC dictates that mindset imo. Have a plan and have a plan to execute it.

SteelDad
01-29-2012, 10:44 AM
I would take Fichtner over just about anyone available on the market especially Caldwell for one reason; familiarity. He knows what these guys can do and what they are capable of and perhaps more importantly, he has had the oportunity to see how BA works and perhaps can make the necessary improvements to the offense. Improving red zone scoring and adjustiong on the fly are the two biggies.

I'll save comments on Caldwell until it becomes official...

coldrolled
01-29-2012, 11:22 AM
I'd prefer him over an inside hire but still not all that impressed.

this is looking like a trade , Arians for Caldwell.. :eek1:

jpele
01-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Don't know what to think of Caldwell other that he looked bewildered on the Colts sidelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2012, 12:26 PM
There is no real sexy choice, for lack of a better term, here. Fichtner should be the obvious favorite based on past experience with the Steelers but it's not a given. One thing about Caldwell is that he completely lost that team and didn't really regain it until late in the year. If he is hired you can bet he'll want to run the ball.

Raleigh Steel
01-29-2012, 01:57 PM
at this point, if it's not haley than i'd rather it be fitchner.

haley's offense would be explosive, but fitchner brings a certain stability...plus i believe he could tweak the offense to the point where it wouldn't be a huge learning curve to the entire offense. his play calling, in game adjustments, and point of attacks could be vastly greater than BA's.

LevonKirkland99
01-29-2012, 03:09 PM
You all thought BA was bad. Just wait.

Shish, it's gonna get fugly!

STOP the gloom and doom please. ok? we've got plenty with Crosby 's condition and the stupid *** doctors in Pittsburgh...

SteelerRush
01-29-2012, 03:15 PM
I really don't want Caldwell. The way he coached the Colts last year does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I don't want Fichtner either! I don't like hot head Haley either!

Isn't there any good College coaches who deserve a shot?:cursin::rant2:

JollyRob68
01-29-2012, 03:51 PM
I really don't want Caldwell. The way he coached the Colts last year does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I don't want Fichtner either! I don't like hot head Haley either!

Isn't there any good College coaches who deserve a shot?:cursin::rant2:

Fichtner deserves a shot and Caldwell doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.:imho:

SteelCityVoice
01-29-2012, 04:33 PM
I could care less about Haley's attitude to be honest. Coaches aren't always supposed to be your best friend.

I'll take results anyday and he had the Arizona Cardinals in position to win the Super Bowl. I see a lot of similarities in the weapons that team had vs. the Steelers. Fitzgerald and Boldin vs. Wallace and A. Brown. Big Ben can do more than Kurt Warner, and Mendenhall is a better runner than Edgerrin James/Beanie Wells. Plus the Steelers have Heath Miller and Emmanuel Sanders.

I just personally feel the Colts offensive coaches just let Peyton run the show, so in that regards Ben should be happy because he'll likely get the same freedon under Caldwell if that's the choice.

I just think it's time to look outside the organization on this one. New ideas aren't always a bad thing.

coldrolled
01-29-2012, 06:23 PM
The Arizona Cardinals denied a request this week for wide receivers coach John McNulty to interview for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' vacant offensive coordinator position.

McNulty was the Buccaneers' top choice for job. The Bucs requested permission to speak to McNulty on Friday and it was promptly denied.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2012, 07:03 PM
I rather have BA then Caldwell........

coach
01-29-2012, 07:34 PM
I'd rather have anybody than BA. BA was in a position to know what should/would work and chose to ignore this in favor of trying to beat strong teams in the fashion he beat weak teams. If you can't game plan, you need to move on.

The sexiest pick out there for OC would be a strong O-line.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Well, the Colts are f'd.

Deviouz1
01-30-2012, 02:02 AM
The sexiest pick out there for OC would be a strong O-line.

this.

:plus1:

DIESELMAN
01-30-2012, 02:27 AM
I just read that Caldwell is going to Baltimore, possibly as their QB coach.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
After visiting the Steelers this weekend, former Colts HC Jim Caldwell plans to join Ravens offensive staff, likely as QB coach.

connecticutsteel
01-30-2012, 03:00 AM
I just read that Caldwell is going to Baltimore, possibly as their QB coach.

Wow even Tomlin's friends are turning there back on him.Why would Caldwell turn down a coordinators job for a qb coaching position?

DIESELMAN
01-30-2012, 03:51 AM
Wow even Tomlin's friends are turning there back on him.Why would Caldwell turn down a coordinators job for a qb coaching position?

I don't think Caldwell was offered the OC position by the Steelers. Caldwell will be the 3rd QB coach in 3 years for Joe Flaccid.

cmerrifield
01-30-2012, 05:38 AM
We all assumed that he interviewed for OC job, but he may have been interviewing for QB coach or maybe Tomlin didnt want him. Tomlin lets the OC run the offense, there isnt a coach in the league that wouldnt want to be Tomlin's OC, as opposed to like Green Bay where the HC calls the plays.

jpele
01-30-2012, 07:27 AM
FWIW :

Adam Schefter
After visiting the Steelers this weekend, former Colts HC Jim Caldwell plans to join Ravens offensive staff, likely as QB coach.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Interesting that he took the QB coach job over a potential coordinator position. Although we have no idea how far those talks went with the team and with Tomlin over breakfast. It could very well have been not the right fit for either side so this was his next best chance to stay employed.

coldrolled
01-30-2012, 08:34 AM
FWIW :

Adam Schefter

Good, we want an OC that makes average talent look good.

Manning was running the offense not caldwell. Just another Arians.
Thats why the Colts have arians now. He will listen to Peyton.

Poor Luck, how much does he weigh?

LatrobePA
01-30-2012, 08:35 AM
BA will have the Colts so F'd up it won't be funny! I'm glad we didn't hire Caldwell, IMO he's a turd of a coach!

Real Deal Steel
01-30-2012, 09:13 AM
We are only assuming. We don't know that he was interviewed for the OC position.
I didn't want Caldwell anyway as an OC. He showed me nothing at Indy.

The Ravens can have him. Joe Flakko is a bum and won't ever win a Super Bowl. So he and Caldwell are made for each other.

coldrolled
01-30-2012, 09:54 AM
The Baltimore Ravens plan to hire Caldwell as an offensive assistant, ESPN.com reported Monday, citing a league source.

The Ravens announced Friday that they would retain offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, but coach John Harbaugh told the team's official website he'd be open to bringing in a quarterbacks coach. Cameron held that position last season.

K Train
01-30-2012, 10:14 AM
caldwell is a joke, im happy to have him nearly crossed off the list of candidates

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Well I guess fichtner is the guy after all

K Train
01-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Well I guess fichtner is the guy after all

how did you come to that conclusion?

steelspikes
01-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Fear factor re Fichtner is that he is BA Jr. Would like to see major re-working of Steeler offense from their current sandlot mentality into a genuine NFL offense. Suspect this will require bringing in an outsider. Since Mike Martz has retired, I would settle for Todd Haley.

LatrobePA
01-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Personally the FO needs to **** or get off the pot...

K Train
01-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Fear factor re Fichtner is that he is BA Jr. Would like to see major re-working of Steeler offense from their current sandlot mentality into a genuine NFL offense. Suspect this will require bringing in an outsider. Since Mike Martz has retired, I would settle for Todd Haley.

haley would be so much better than martz...martz with this team would be a nightmare.

LatrobePA
01-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Martz would ruin Ben completely, kinda like BA was trying to do!

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-30-2012, 12:45 PM
how did you come to that conclusion?

That just my assumption. Tom Clements will probably stay in GB and Haley probably won't get hired because if the KC situation so Im guessing it's going to be Randy. I could be dead wrong though

MDSteel15
01-30-2012, 04:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7520284/baltimore-ravens-hire-jim-caldwell-quarterbacks-coach