PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers really screwed up the Arians situation

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2012, 04:14 PM
It's very unlike the Steelers have such a media screwup regarding a coach or player but that's exactly what this whole Arians debacle has been. They normally keep things tight lipped and don't let the media get wind of a story until everybody is on the same page.

-Tomlin season ending press conference: He expects both coaches to return.
-Days later it's confirmed that Lebeau is coming back and rumors had it that Arians said he was coming back too.
-A few days after that Gerry Dulac breaks the story at Arians may not return, according to a source close to the team. He also says that it could be because of the front office overruling Coach Tomlin.
-Art Rooney II has a press conference where he says the choice is Tomlin's to make but they've had talks with both Mike and Bruce about the situation.
-The team announces that Arians has retired, they wish him the best after football.
-Within a day the reports start flying that Art II wasn't going to renew BA's contract.
-Arians says he had to leave, no choice because he wasn't going to get a new deal.
-Rooney deflects questions in a press conference, saying how we got here is irrelevant.
-Ben is not happy with the situation and speaks out at the pro bowl about meeting with Rooney, saying it's a shock that he's gone.
-Now today it's reported that Arians is the new OC of the Colts.

Whoever made the decision to announce BA's departure as a retirement sure made this a lot worse than it had to be.

Raleigh Steel
01-28-2012, 04:22 PM
i think everyone realized that BA did not "retire". but allowing him to "retire" lets him go out with a little more dignity. it's better than the headlines reading: steelers FIRE bruce arians.

there is nothing wrong with this situation. the pittsburgh media is trying to start something when there is nothing to be started. coaches, retire, get fired, leave, all the time. once the new OC is officially hired this gets put to bed.

new OC, then the draft, then the first OTAs, then the pirates get eliminated from playoff contention (mid june) and then it's training camp and all the focus is on #7...lombardi that is!

LatrobePA
01-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Who cares he's gone!

North Steel
01-28-2012, 05:13 PM
I just wish Ben would keep his mouth shut and get over it.Can someone please tell this guy without a running game and OL there is no fu_cking air show.:banging:

Nolrog
01-28-2012, 05:30 PM
It's really not as bad as people are making it out to be. Most people don't really care, and have long moved past this story. It's only a big deal for us because we eat and breathe it every day. Everyone else is talking about the Super Bowl or their team's off season.

connecticutsteel
01-28-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't think that the Steelers screwed up i think Arians had sour grapes and agreed to go along with the retirement story then turned on the Steelers for forcing him out this is what i meant by collateral damage.Who cares what BA does let the colts have his 50% red zone efficiency

Number99
01-28-2012, 06:15 PM
I think BA was coming back until Rooney said "Hold your Horses, lets remember whos boss around here". "This is what's going to happen. The fans want it and I want it". Or something along those lines.
But whether the team handled it right or not, does it really hurt our feelings that he's gone? No. So lets pass it up as a snafu and enjoy the 2 headed dragon that will take over the offense this season.

DIESELMAN
01-28-2012, 07:04 PM
I don't think that the Steelers screwed up i think Arians had sour grapes and agreed to go along with the retirement story then turned on the Steelers for forcing him out this is what i meant by collateral damage.Who cares what BA does let the colts have his 50% red zone efficiency

I agree 100%!!!

JollyRob68
01-28-2012, 08:35 PM
It's very unlike the Steelers have such a media screwup regarding a coach or player but that's exactly what this whole Arians debacle has been. They normally keep things tight lipped and don't let the media get wind of a story until everybody is on the same page.

-Tomlin season ending press conference: He expects both coaches to return.
-Days later it's confirmed that Lebeau is coming back and rumors had it that Arians said he was coming back too.
-A few days after that Gerry Dulac breaks the story at Arians may not return, according to a source close to the team. He also says that it could be because of the front office overruling Coach Tomlin.
-Art Rooney II has a press conference where he says the choice is Tomlin's to make but they've had talks with both Mike and Bruce about the situation.
-The team announces that Arians has retired, they wish him the best after football.
-Within a day the reports start flying that Art II wasn't going to renew BA's contract.
-Arians says he had to leave, no choice because he wasn't going to get a new deal.
-Rooney deflects questions in a press conference, saying how we got here is irrelevant.
-Ben is not happy with the situation and speaks out at the pro bowl about meeting with Rooney, saying it's a shock that he's gone.
-Now today it's reported that Arians is the new OC of the Colts.

Whoever made the decision to announce BA's departure as a retirement sure made this a lot worse than it had to be.

THey should of just said his contract expired and won't be renewed.They were going in another direction. Thats not so hard is it? Now, they look like a$$es.

--- Added 1/28/2012 at 07:35 PM ---

:plus1:
I just wish Ben would keep his mouth shut and get over it.Can someone please tell this guy without a running game and OL there is no fu_cking air show.:banging:

:plus1:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Tomlin definitely jumped the gun when he said he anticipated having them back. He had that presser less than 12 hours after the loss though so I'm sure he didn't have time to talk to Rooney yet about it.

They tried to smooth things over but they had to know Arians was going to talk to the press and they for sure knew Ben would say something.

Real Deal Steel
01-28-2012, 11:36 PM
It's really not as bad as people are making it out to be. Most people don't really care, and have long moved past this story. It's only a big deal for us because we eat and breathe it every day. Everyone else is talking about the Super Bowl or their team's off season.

Exactly.

steelspikes
01-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Tomlin definitely jumped the gun when he said he anticipated having them back. He had that presser less than 12 hours after the loss though so I'm sure he didn't have time to talk to Rooney yet about it.

They tried to smooth things over but they had to know Arians was going to talk to the press and they for sure knew Ben would say something.

If you watch Tomlin's press conference, he is clearly uneasy when asked if he expected his coordinators would be returning; that was the clue that change was in the offing and I tried to calm those who panicked at another BA season.
Being a Head Coach is partly very political. Tomlin is not real good at ...ahem...dissimulating (aka lying).
Ding dong the witch is dead, which old witch, the BA witch.
All I can say is "good riddance." Firing Arians proves one thing: the Steeler FO has a brain.
OK, enough Wizard of Oz references.
Despite Ben's stats in 2011, it was his worst year ever in terms of putting points on the board, which, at the end of the game, is all that really matters.

coldrolled
01-29-2012, 11:20 AM
We didnt resign him... you cant fire a person with no contract. Screw BA...

So now the Colts have BA and Butler for the DC job supposedly...

So we still have no replacements.. So, is tomlin slow to fire/release and re-hire?

this is not good. rooney said tomlin is shopping for the OC.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2012, 12:23 PM
If you watch Tomlin's press conference, he is clearly uneasy when asked if he expected his coordinators would be returning; that was the clue that change was in the offing and I tried to calm those who panicked at another BA season.
Being a Head Coach is partly very political. Tomlin is not real good at ...ahem...dissimulating (aka lying).
Ding dong the witch is dead, which old witch, the BA witch.
All I can say is "good riddance." Firing Arians proves one thing: the Steeler FO has a brain.
OK, enough Wizard of Oz references.
Despite Ben's stats in 2011, it was his worst year ever in terms of putting points on the board, which, at the end of the game, is all that really matters.

No doubt that Tomlin has a serious deficiency when it comes to dealing with the media. He'd rather clam up than say anything, but I went back and watched that presser again and you can tell he wasn't real confident in himself when asked about that question.

We all know how the Steeler Nation reacts to news of that sort, they take it and run with it.

For a team that is so careful about how they deal with the media, this one will go down as a "what not to do in the future".

Callax
01-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Same thing happened several years ago when Pitt let go Tom Moore as OC and brought in Joe Walton. Steelers said the Offense was too bland and unimaginative.