PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Ben for Andrew Luck?

JollyRob68
01-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Now that its being said that Bruce Arians is going to be the OC of The Colts would you trade Ben for Andrew Luck or #1 pick in the draft? Just a thought, but this could be a golden opportunity to Be set for the future by grabbing Andrew Luck or RGIII. I ask this question because we were thinking of getting rid of Ben due to his off season issues in the past. Now that Bens Married and had an off season with no issues it could be time to cash in on Ben and get a QB that will make the quick throws and still hit them deep. It may be time to move away from sandlot ball.
:stirpot:

Nolrog
01-28-2012, 03:25 PM
/sigh. Is this what we have come to? Is this what it's going to be all off-season?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Not even close to happening in my opinion, although I'm sure Arians would love it, LOL. The Steelers aren't going to get rid of Ben in favor of drafting Andrew Luck. Their opportunity for another Super Bowl is now and they have a ton of talent all over the roster. If you start off with a rookie QB again you're setting yourself back atleast a couple of years before you can count on making another run.

Even with guys like Cam Newton having such a good year, you can't ever count on rookie playing that well so early in his career.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Yea Ben just plays sandlot ball....lol ridiculous.........Who would take on Ben's contract anyway?.....Both Luck and Griffin III are very good prospects but that doesn't make them a sure thing when it comes to the NFL...A whole different animal in the NFL......

Goodfrom55
01-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Not in a million years. Ben is entering the prime of his career, and should have about 6-8 years left in the league. Not going to throw away another 1 to 3 trips to the superbowl for potential.

steelersbabex25
01-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Oh christ..here we go.

Steelers/PSU Fan
01-28-2012, 05:44 PM
They would never trade Ben for an unknown QB like Luck....yeah everybody is hyping him up, but the NFL is alot different then college, you never know how he will do. Ben is in his prime and is a pretty good QB, not elite, but good.

DIESELMAN
01-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Oh christ..here we go.

lol no doubt. Hey guys this isn't fantasy football lol

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-28-2012, 06:25 PM
I don't think you realize how dumb you sound asking this disgrace of a question

Nolrog
01-28-2012, 06:45 PM

:yellowthumb:

JollyRob68
01-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Its not a stupid question its a question based on the fact that Bruce didnt retire,Bens pissed and said he's going to talk to Art II. And to answer the question%s this what the pff season has come to? Yes we got Tebowed! Welcome to the offseason.:stirpot:

--- Added 1/28/2012 at 06:14 PM ---

Not even close to happening in my opinion, although I'm sure Arians would love it, LOL. The Steelers aren't going to get rid of Ben in favor of drafting Andrew Luck. Their opportunity for another Super Bowl is now and they have a ton of talent all over the roster. If you start off with a rookie QB again you're setting yourself back atleast a couple of years before you can count on making another run.

Even with guys like Cam Newton having such a good year, you can't ever count on rookie playing that well so early in his career.

Thanks for giving excellent feedback. As always you insight & knowledge is apprwciated.

--- Added 1/28/2012 at 07:27 PM ---

They would never trade Ben for an unknown QB like Luck....yeah everybody is hyping him up, but the NFL is alot different then college, you never know how he will do. Ben is in his prime and is a pretty good QB, not elite, but good.

Great POint.Thanks

--- Added 1/28/2012 at 07:30 PM ---

/sigh. Is this what we have come to? Is this what it's going to be all off-season?

Yes.lol Until we hear something from The Steelers but then again they told us Bruce retired and he's now the OC of The Colts. Relax, I'm just asking for peoples thoughts and opinions. It's not that far fetched that if Ben storms into Art Rooney II office and explodes that Art II wouldn't put him in his place. How many people though the Steelers would trade Santonio Holmes for a 5th rounder( I did because he was a idiot)?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2012, 08:43 PM
If it were fantasy football then Luck would be a great choice potentially...LOL. Damn Ben for never giving us fantasy points!

Just for the sake of conversation though if Ben were a free agent you better believe Arians would be pushing hard to get him if he went to a team that needed a QB.

xBlitzBurghx
01-28-2012, 09:26 PM
I would give away ben, hampton, farrior, hines, mcfadden, johnson for Aaron Rogers

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

JollyRob68
01-28-2012, 09:56 PM
If it were fantasy football then Luck would be a great choice potentially...LOL. Damn Ben for never giving us fantasy points!

Just for the sake of conversation though if Ben were a free agent you better believe Arians would be pushing hard to get him if he went to a team that needed a QB.

I agree Arians would want him if he was a Free agent.

It was rumored that Caldwell had breakfast with Tomlin. I think Randy Fichtner will be OC and Caldwell will be QB coach as well as the former WVU Head coach will be on Staff possibly as RB Coach/Running game coordinator.

Real Deal Steel
01-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Please close this thread. It's ridiculous to say the least.

jnes1216
01-29-2012, 01:56 AM
I know its hypothetical Jollyrob but no, I don't think if I were in the front office's shoes I would trade a proven pro bowler for an up and comer with a ton of potential. Its a helluva gamble for your fan base and I would ride with the horse that brought ya.

steelspikes
01-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Food for thought. In Ben's rookie season (2004) the Steelers scored 23 ppg. In his 8th season (2011) Steelers averaged 20 ppg.

Furthermore, in 2011, two rookie QBs led higher scoring offenses than did Roethlisberger. Cam Newton's Panthers scored 25 ppg!

So I doubt Colts would take a Big Ben trade for Luck, even if it included the Steeler's 1rst round pick.

elephantman
01-29-2012, 12:03 PM
I think its an unrealistic question, but not so stupid...I would consider it...as it may very well turn out to be a franchise QB for another 15 years...anyone remember 1984-2004....but Ben is in his prime and has Never really had an injury that his body wont recover..it's the ACL stuff thats bad...breaks and things heal fine..Im not worried about him having a short career like many

We are somewhat rebuilding with the D..but this Offense should be on fire with a healthy O line and a rookie QB could spell disaster

K Train
01-29-2012, 01:01 PM
id think long and hard about it...not a dumb question at all, ben is over 30 now and takes a beating and realisitically might not make it THAT much longer.

luck is the best QB prospect since manning....id be shocked if he flopped. it seems like it could be a real investment of a move for the future of the team

BUT it wont happen. mostly because that pick is going to warrant an unheard of amount of compensation...like 3 first rounders, a second rounder, and a probowl cornerstone type player....

PsychoWard
01-29-2012, 01:29 PM
lol no doubt. Hey guys this isn't fantasy football lol

Amen!

steelchamp204
01-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Im not the biggest Ben fan, I wouldnt trade him for Luck. Ben will be lucky to play another 5 seasons though.

LevonKirkland99
01-29-2012, 03:10 PM
No, I won't trade Ben for Luck. Luck sucks just like the stupid *** Penguins doctors...

SteelerRush
01-29-2012, 03:35 PM
This is such a stupid post.

You can't teach the way Ben plays Football. He has an uncanny ability to avoid pressure and make plays down field. I don't care if Ben is mad about Arian's or not, although I think the Media is taking Ben's reaction out of context.

A Franchise QB who won two Super Bpwls will not be traded away.

JollyRob68
01-29-2012, 03:40 PM
id think long and hard about it...not a dumb question at all, ben is over 30 now and takes a beating and realisitically might not make it THAT much longer.

luck is the best QB prospect since manning....id be shocked if he flopped. it seems like it could be a real investment of a move for the future of the team

BUT it wont happen. mostly because that pick is going to warrant an unheard of amount of compensation...like 3 first rounders, a second rounder, and a probowl cornerstone type player....

Thanks K Train....
What is this report that Keith Butler is going to be The Colts DC? If so I'm Pissed! They The Steelers needed to hire him as DC ad RETIRE LeBeau.

The Big Z
01-29-2012, 04:31 PM
I can see Ben wanting to go with BA to the Colts. Let him go and get the number 1 pick (Luck or RGIII) and also pick up Manning to be a mentor. Starting Payton with our WR's and we would be deadly in the red zone. The quick release of Manning now free's up our offensive line to where they could run the ball better.

Also remember Ben has had multiple off fields issues the the Steeler's don't like. Granted he's done good for a year, but did he just stick his foot in his mouth be saying he wants to talk to Rooney about the coaching decisions. Now I like Ben, Could be his ego getting big again after a good year.

We'll see how the plays out.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks K Train....
What is this report that Keith Butler is going to be The Colts DC? If so I'm Pissed! They The Steelers needed to hire him as DC ad RETIRE LeBeau.

It's not official yet, he's going to interview with them early this coming week. It's very likely though that he'll be gone at this point.

Could you imagine if the Rooney's actually did trade Ben away in favor of getting teh #1 spot in the draft to take Luck or RGIII? The controversy now with Arians and Ben would be escalated to epic levels..LOL

Deviouz1
01-29-2012, 07:45 PM
if this were madden i would say hell yes. i would also trade harrison for von miller, big snack and a 2nd or 3rd for suh, and kiesel or smith and a 1st for aldon. then i would trade ike for peterson, and next years 2nd and 3rd for amukamara saving the 1st for an LE in the draft.

then i would suck for a year or two, and in the process draft 2 safties, and 2 linebackers whilst trading mendenhall and/or wallace for a decent downhill RB and pick up a good fullback since their kind of a dime a dozen. maybe repurpose a big tight end.

but its not.

K Train
01-29-2012, 08:03 PM
i know hes unproven but i dont think you are realizing how good luck is and how valuable that pick would be...ben is still good but hes not gonna be manning or farve, hes gonna limp to the end of his career, this would be ballsy but not irrational as far as building your team

steelers75
01-29-2012, 09:49 PM
i know hes unproven but i dont think you are realizing how good luck is and how valuable that pick would be...ben is still good but hes not gonna be manning or farve, hes gonna limp to the end of his career, this would be ballsy but not irrational as far as building your team

There's a difference between "ballsy" and "stupid."

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-29-2012, 09:52 PM
No way Jose'

--- Added 1/29/2012 at 08:52 PM ---

It's not official yet, he's going to interview with them early this coming week. It's very likely though that he'll be gone at this point.

Could you imagine if the Rooney's actually did trade Ben away in favor of getting teh #1 spot in the draft to take Luck or RGIII? The controversy now with Arians and Ben would be escalated to epic levels..LOL

Just what I would need to go puke my guts out over.

K Train
01-30-2012, 08:25 AM
there were trade rumors 2 years ago to the raiders for possibly the #8 pick and nnamdi, people werent really THAT opposed back when he was having all those legal troubles,,,at that was for the 8th pick in a bad class, now this is for arguably the most valuable draft pick since 1999 and everyone thinks its stupid....its funny how fans work.

im not even advocating this as it would never happen, but it would not be a bad mood...they would stay competitive in the AFC even with a rookie luck

JollyRob68
01-30-2012, 03:13 PM
there were trade rumors 2 years ago to the raiders for possibly the #8 pick and nnamdi, people werent really THAT opposed back when he was having all those legal troubles,,,at that was for the 8th pick in a bad class, now this is for arguably the most valuable draft pick since 1999 and everyone thinks its stupid....its funny how fans work.

im not even advocating this as it would never happen, but it would not be a bad mood...they would stay competitive in the AFC even with a rookie luck

Thanks Ktrain.... You guys can close this thread, we fans have other things to wig out about with potentially losing Keith Butler.
Once again Thanks

Nolrog
01-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Yes, please do close this retarded thread. I think I lost 10 IQ points just following it.

JollyRob68
01-31-2012, 07:01 AM
Yes, please do close this retarded thread. I think I lost 10 IQ points just following it.

THat just to easy to have fun with I'll let it go. Funny thing is that other people on other sites later posed the same question FYI.

OldSchool58
01-31-2012, 07:31 AM
I've seen some good arguments both ways on this thread. I don't think the original question was dumb.....maybe a bit premature.

Let's fix the O-line and give the kid a chance to play a few seasons without having to run for his life every play. I'd bet that will make a huge difference in his attitude and his numbers.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2012, 11:30 AM
For those that did watch the pro bowl, it was so nice to see Ben being able to throw with time to spare in the pocket. Yeah I know the defense wasn't really trying but damn I got all warm and fuzzy inside seeing Ben be able to drop back and throw without being crushed.

I'd love to see what he could do with a real line. I still say even now that no QB in the league, not Brady, Rodgers, or Brees would be as successful as they have been had they played for the Steelers behind that line of ours these last several years.

JollyRob68
02-01-2012, 05:39 AM
For those that did watch the pro bowl, it was so nice to see Ben being able to throw with time to spare in the pocket. Yeah I know the defense wasn't really trying but damn I got all warm and fuzzy inside seeing Ben be able to drop back and throw without being crushed.

I'd love to see what he could do with a real line. I still say even now that no QB in the league, not Brady, Rodgers, or Brees would be as successful as they have been had they played for the Steelers behind that line of ours these last several years.

I agree. Would you dangle/trade wallace to move up to get The Guard from Stanford or to San Fran for Mike Iupati?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2012, 05:43 PM
I agree. Would you dangle/trade wallace to move up to get The Guard from Stanford or to San Fran for Mike Iupati?

I just can't justify trying to trade Wallace right now. You could certainly get a 1st round pick for him from a team that needs a wide out but it's been so long since this team has had 3 good wide receivers that I just can't see them getting rid of him.

I would add to that while Sanders has been very good he's had problems staying on the field. He is somewhat unproven still in that regard. If you get rid of Wallace and Sanders has more knee/foot problems then you're back to square one.

JollyRob68
02-03-2012, 05:58 AM
I just can't justify trying to trade Wallace right now. You could certainly get a 1st round pick for him from a team that needs a wide out but it's been so long since this team has had 3 good wide receivers that I just can't see them getting rid of him.

I would add to that while Sanders has been very good he's had problems staying on the field. He is somewhat unproven still in that regard. If you get rid of Wallace and Sanders has more knee/foot problems then you're back to square one.

So True, I want them to sign Jerricho Cotchery and can't wait to se what Wesley Saunders can do with a full off season program.
To me I love Wallace's speed but he's not Physical at all. He loves to wait for the ball and alligator arms it. BUt I agree with you about Sanders health.

SteelDad
02-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Not in a million years. Ben is entering the prime of his career, and should have about 6-8 years left in the league. Not going to throw away another 1 to 3 trips to the superbowl for potential.

Exactly.:yellowthumb:

Goodfrom55
02-03-2012, 11:15 AM
So True, I want them to sign Jerricho Cotchery and can't wait to se what Wesley Saunders can do with a full off season program.
To me I love Wallace's speed but he's not Physical at all. He loves to wait for the ball and alligator arms it. BUt I agree with you about Sanders health.

None of the Steelers WR's are physical and they struggle against physical man coverage. If there is a negative about this group, that is it.

steelspikes
02-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Good idea. Let's go for it; roll the dice!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2012, 03:37 PM
None of the Steelers WR's are physical and they struggle against physical man coverage. If there is a negative about this group, that is it.

I would agree that Wallce needs to be more physical and fight for the ball. I would say though that I Brown started to become more physical this season as we saw him get more catches in traffic.

Heath Miller is a beast in traffic, as is Cotchery.

LatrobePA
02-04-2012, 10:08 AM
That's why I'm not sold on Wallace, he seems soft as hell in tight coverage..