PDA

View Full Version : Isaac Redman talks about being the potential starter

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Steelers Running Back Isaac Redman joined Seibel, Starkey and Miller on Sportsradio 93.7 The FAN to discuss his season, and his potential future as the Steelers number one running back.

He talks about not disrespecting any of the other RB's on the team but he views himself as a starter and he's doing all he can to make that happen. He also mentions how he felt a lot of pressure being the man in the wildcard game, but that he thrives on that pressure.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/01/17/running-back-isaac-redman-looking-forward-to-chance-to-become-number-one-running-back/

LatrobePA
01-27-2012, 10:49 AM
He ran hard against the Tebow's, too bad his effort wasn't rewarded...

But I don't see him as a starter anytime soon..

K Train
01-27-2012, 11:05 AM
this is my nightmare

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2012, 11:28 AM
You have to like that Redman has confidence in himself and sees himself as a starter. You also get the sense that if the team commits long term to Mendenhall at some point, Isaac will leave when he getst he chance.

K Train
01-27-2012, 11:32 AM
he is not an NFL starting RB, hes a nice utility back but hes not a guy you want to put the weight of the team on...id rather they just draft a RB like chris polk in the second if they feel mendenhall wont be ready

Goodfrom55
01-27-2012, 11:33 AM
He ran hard against the Tebow's, too bad his effort wasn't rewarded...

But I don't see him as a starter anytime soon..

Agreed, unless Mendenhall doesn't make a full recovery. I'm not saying the bashers will come out, but I'm going to throw this out there- obviously Mendy had a reduction in yards and carries, but averaged 4.1 YPC this year. Had he touched the ball the same amount as he did in 2010, he would have eclipsed 1300 yards for the season.

roosterray
01-27-2012, 11:34 AM
he is not an NFL starting RB, hes a nice utility back but hes not a guy you want to put the weight of the team on...id rather they just draft a RB like chris polk in the second if they feel mendenhall wont be ready

Chris Polk is BAD *** and alot like Corey Dillon. Being from the state of Washington, I'd love this move.:imho:

MDSteel15
01-27-2012, 11:35 AM
:greenbounce2: I'm glad he wants to be a starter! That means he isn't satisfied being backup and wants to get better!!! Which only makes our team better...

Goodfrom55
01-27-2012, 11:40 AM
:greenbounce2: I'm glad he wants to be a starter! That means he isn't satisfied being backup and wants to get better!!! Which only makes our team better...

Agreed as long as he keeps a positive attitude about it, and doesn't create a problem in the locker room.

K Train
01-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Chris Polk is BAD *** and alot like Corey Dillon. Being from the state of Washington, I'd love this move.:imho:

he reminds me a lot of matt forte

HUNT4SEVEN
01-27-2012, 12:22 PM
If Isaac prepares right he can be a every down back, and he deserves the chance especially if we get a real FB.I'm not worried about the RB position as i am the QB position Ben is not happy this could be a problem.

STEELWILLiam
01-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Redman is a solid back, and I think he needs to get a lot more carries next year. With that being said, I don't know if he is an every down back. He is a strong back, and he always seems to gain yards. I definitely prefer Redman to Mendenhall. Mendenhall is a big guy, but I don't like how he runs. He stutter steps into the line and does not hit the hole hard. It would be nice to have another back besides Redman, one that could be a homerun threat, but I think that could be taken care of in the draft.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm not convinced that he couldn't be a feature back with enough carries and experience. He's never gotten the full workload until that Denver game. Give him the whole offseason, training camp, and preseason as the starter and see what he can do.

jpele
01-28-2012, 10:58 AM
All I hear is Redman isn't an every down back,where's the proof ? I say at least give him a shot.

For all the talent Mendandfall has I'm a little tired of watching him run into the back of his linemen every handoff. ( except when the open a hole big enough that I could run through)

steelersbabex25
01-28-2012, 06:36 PM
What's a Redman forum without K Train talking about how much he hates him?

Look, I think everyone knows my position on the Redman/Mendenhall debacle right now. Everyone said that Redman needed to prove himself, and IMO, he did that. Don't know what anyone wants from him now.

JensK
01-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Redman ran very very well against Broncos and he should have credit for that, I concur. That said, with all the rumbling about Steelers going back to a run-first offense and whatnot, Redman is not the type of RB you'd want to carry the load. He just don't have enough tricks up his sleeve. At some point people will figure out that he will run straight forward and then spin if they try to tackle him. I like him together with Mendenhall because they supplement each other very well.

Real Deal Steel
01-29-2012, 12:38 AM

I too appreciated Redman's attitude and I want him to feel that way. But the starting RB next year will be Dwyer.

Dobre Shunka
01-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Redman isn't a starting RB for the NFL. He just isn't.

shish

jnes1216
01-29-2012, 02:26 AM
Redman gets the tough yards and he deserves half the starting position until someone knocks him off. 90% of the time he falls forward for a positive gain and his legs keep churning. He is not a full time starter, but by all means YES I want him on my team. I'll take hungry over talented and dance classes in the offseason anyday.

jpele
01-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Redman isn't a starting RB for the NFL. He just isn't.

shish

Please explain your reasoning ?

Is it because Redman gets positive yards when he carries the ball ?

Is it because he's hard to tackle ?

I've heard he just couldn't handle the full load. ( he proved everyone wrong in Denver)

My guess is, because Mendenfall was a #1 pick.

I also hear he doesn't have the speed, does that mean we screwed up having the Bus as a starter all those years /

Not being a smart a$$ I just want to know why Redman isn't starting material at least a better answer than "because I said so".

JensK
01-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Please explain your reasoning ?

Is it because Redman gets positive yards when he carries the ball ?

Is it because he's hard to tackle ?

I've heard he just couldn't handle the full load. ( he proved everyone wrong in Denver)

My guess is, because Mendenfall was a #1 pick.

I also hear he doesn't have the speed, does that mean we screwed up having the Bus as a starter all those years /

Not being a smart a$$ I just want to know why Redman isn't starting material at least a better answer than "because I said so".

Because he can do one thing and thats about it. He has nothing special over him. Yes, he gets some tough yards and yes he is hard to tackle but a lot of that has to be contributed to the fact that teams has no idea what they were up against, plus he usually only ran the ball in the second half where the defense was tired. A starting RB should have more moves than spinning and running into people imo.

jpele
01-29-2012, 12:54 PM
A starting RB should have more moves than spinning and running into people imo.

Like running into the back of your oline and falling down, that's one of Mendys favorites

Funny, no one ever told Jerome he needed more moves than spinning and hitting people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelersbabex25
01-29-2012, 01:00 PM
I think those who are so against Redman are only against him because they want so badly for Mendenhall to be good, myself included, but let's stop trying to trick ourselves. He is just not a top 5, probably even top 10 RB. We're gonna have to start shopping around for someone who can carry the load.

JensK
01-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Like running into the back of your oline and falling down, that's one of Mendys favorites

Funny, no one ever told Jerome he needed more moves than spinning and hitting people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerome had some of the most nimble feet I've ever seen from a RB. Redman, not so much. Besides, the question was not whether or not Mendenhall should be the starter, but if Redman should. And I don't think he should because of the above-mentioned reasons.

SteelerRush
01-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Why are we arguing about the RB position anyway. All our backs are capable of starting on this team. We may never know who should be the starter if we don't improve the O-Line. I don't think you could put too many elite backs behind our line and not expect them to run into the back of this O-Line.