PDA

View Full Version : Ben looking for answers from Steelers-Rooney

DIESELMAN
01-27-2012, 02:14 AM
HONOLULU — Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, miffed that Bruce Arians will not return as offensive coordinator, plans to meet with team president Art Rooney II about the matter after playing in the Pro Bowl on Sunday.

"When I get back, I'm going to go up to Mr. Rooney's office and ask him what he wants from me, what he wants from this offense, because I think that's a viable question for him," Roethlisberger told the Tribune-Review on Thursday following an AFC practice at Hickam Air Force Base. "He's our owner and our boss, so I really would like to know kind of what he wants and where he sees our offense going because I'd like to tell him where I see us going."

Arians, 59, had served as offensive coordinator since 2007 before announcing his retirement last Friday. However, he said earlier this week that the Steelers would not renew his contract.

Rooney told the Trib last week that he thought the offense needed to do a better job of scoring after finishing 21st in the NFL at 20.3 points per game this past season. The Steelers ranked 12th in total offense at 372.3 yards per game.

Rooney sidestepped answering whether he ordered Arians gone.

"The question of how we got here is not really relevant," Rooney told the team's website this week. "Bruce talked about retiring for a number of years now. We are looking to improve on offense and to have somebody in place for a number of years. We are looking forward to moving on."

Roethlisberger has made no secret of his allegiance and close ties to Arians.

He lobbied to keep Arians after the 2009 season, when the Steelers considered making a change at offensive coordinator. Roethlisberger had planned to make Arians one of his guests at the Pro Bowl, but Arians opted against it after the developments of the past week. Steelers quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner, a candidate to replace Arians, has joined Roethlisberger in Hawaii.

"We feel like we are really close to being an elite offense," Roethlisberger said. "For your leader to be gone is kind of a shocker, but you've got to be ready for whatever the Rooneys and coach (Mike) Tomlin decide it our next step."

Roethlisberger said it will be an adjustment no matter who the Steelers hire as their next coordinator.

"Change is always different," Roethlisberger said. "It doesn't mean it's good or it's bad. You just don't know yet. I think the (Steelers') mind was made up, and B.A. was kind of ready to move on as well."

Said receiver Antonio Brown, who made the Pro Bowl as a kickoff returner, "I talked to (Roethlisberger) about it, but some things we can't change. All we can do is focus on what's upcoming, the new guy, ready for him to come in, learn his game plan and ride together so we can win football games."

Roethlisberger threw for more than 4,000 yards for just the second time in his eight-year career. He eclipsed that mark despite missing a game because of a high left ankle sprain sustained in early December.

Roethlisberger said he hasn't fully recovered from the injury that hampered him the rest of the season, including the playoff loss in Denver.

Roethlisberger, who is slated to start for the AFC in the Pro Bowl, said he hasn't had to wear a brace this week because practices are so light.

"They say it will be a couple of months until it's healed," he said, "but it's doing a lot better."

Rooney said in a wide-ranging interview last week that the Steelers need to cut down on sacks. Rooney added that he would like to see Roethlisberger, who frequently holds onto the ball to extend plays, to "tweak" his game.

"From what I understood from that was, just not get hit to so much," said Roethlisberger, who was sacked 40 times in 15 regular-season games in 2011. "I think some of that's on me; some of that's on linemen. It's on everybody, so I'll put it on me and try to make those adjustments."

In addition to Roethlisberger and Brown, receiver Mike Wallace, outside linebacker James Harrison and free safety Ryan Clark will represent the Steelers in the Pro Bowl.

Center Maurkice Pouncey and free safety Troy Polamalu were named Pro Bowl starters, but neither will play because of injuries.

When asked about the changes coming on offense, Wallace said, "We're going to deal with it when we get back. Right now we're on this vacation, baby."

By Scott Brown and Shawn McCullough, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 27, 2012

I'm pretty sure a meeting of the minds will happen once they hire a OC. Ben has matured over the years, I feel that he will handle this like a pro and drive on.

Here's the audio of Ben's comments. (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcbspittsburgh.files.word press.com%2F2012%2F01%2Fben-roethlisberger-1-26.mp3&podcast_name=Ben+Roethlisberger&podcast_artist=93.7+The+FAN&station_id=&audio_link=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.PITTS)

TampaSteelGirl
01-27-2012, 06:50 AM
I totally agree....Im sure Ben is upset but this is not going to stop him from continuing to play like a champion....I trust in the Rooneys and I trust in Mike Tomlin, they will get the job done. We will be back in the playoffs this year and heading to the SB next year..:yellowthumb:

JollyRob68
01-27-2012, 07:34 AM
He'd like to tell Art II were he see's the offense going? How about you run the designed play and get rid of the ball and not take a sack when the team is in field goal range. I hope Art II puts him in his place and reminds him that he was close to being traded in the past. Tread lightly or it could be Ben to Indy for Andrew Luck or RG3

LatrobePA
01-27-2012, 09:33 AM
The problem is Ben has never like being coached or told what to do or how to do it.

Move on Ben BA is gone, I can understand his concern but he and the offense sucked this past season, he should of seen this coming..

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2012, 10:00 AM
We all knew this coming, Ben was going to say something. We all figured it was going to go down pretty much like that too.

I don't know about you but reading into that it sounds like AB is trying to convince Ben that it's going to be ok and that change is not always a bad thing.

I was able to hear some of the audio that the Pittsburgh Trib had on the interview with Ben. It’s not that he had a cocky attitude about him when he made those comments, he was honest. Sure you’d rather just hear him not get quite so in depth about how great he though the offense was by tossing around stats like how he threw for 4,000 yds, how they had two 1,000 yd. receivers, and nearly a 1,000 yd back. While that’s all true I just think he could have handled it a bit differently.

Initially when reports came out yesterday about the things that he was saying, people took it too far the other direction and started saying how Ben was this and that, he should shut up, deal with it etc. After reading more about it and hearing the audio, it wasn’t the greatest PR move that he could have made I’ll give you that but it wasn’t quite as bad as people think.

Goodfrom55
01-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Bottom line is the Steelers had a good offense between the 20's and a poor offense in the red zone. They have to get better and that's on the new OC and Ben. Reading the article can make you think Ben has a chip on his shoulder and he demands answers, which IMO, would be out of line for him to do so. What does Rooney want from the offense? finish more drives and get more 7's. Again, IMO, any FG less than 28 yards, I consider an offensive failure.In this area, the Steelers need to get better.

steelspikes
01-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Ben's remark that he "feels" they are "really close to having an elite offense," is very troubling, to say the least. I mean...Really? You just ranked 18th is scoring: a measly 20 ppg. and you suck in the Red Zone. Close to elite would be 25-26 ppg. minimum. Elite offenses are scoring 30-plus (see New Orleans, New England, Green Bay, etc.) This comment really makes me wonder if all Ben's concussions haven't altered his perception of reality.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Added this to Diesel's original post. The audio of Ben's comments. (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcbspittsburgh.files.word press.com%2F2012%2F01%2Fben-roethlisberger-1-26.mp3&podcast_name=Ben+Roethlisberger&podcast_artist=93.7+The+FAN&station_id=&audio_link=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.PITTS)

JensK
01-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Am I the only one who believes that Ben have no right whatsoever to demand any questions from Rooney. The man has payed him over 100 million, and he is his boss. Granted, I have not heard the audio, but from the transcript he should just stop it already. That path leads to nothing good.

Real Deal Steel
01-27-2012, 01:30 PM
My question is why does he need to talk to Mr. Rooney?

He had an up front seat to see what we all saw. The offense stunk in the red zone and
teams teed off on him because the running game has been an after thought in this offense. And he doesn't understand why Mr. Rooney did what he did and said what he said?? Really?

A better balanced offense is better for the whole team all the way around. What is so hard to understand about that? Why does there need to be further discussion about that? Gzzzzzzzz

Ben, go sit your *** down, your well paid so go and put the work in and win championships. How hard is that?? Stop being a crying bitch and get back to work.

JollyRob68
01-27-2012, 01:34 PM
:yellowthumb:
Am I the only one who believes that Ben have no right whatsoever to demand any questions from Rooney. The man has payed him over 100 million, and he is his boss. Granted, I have not heard the audio, but from the transcript he should just stop it already. That path leads to nothing good.

:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2012, 01:41 PM
I think Ben has a right to know what direction the offense is going in to an extent. He's the starting QB, the offense has been featured around him his entire career mostly. The way he went about it could have been handled better but it seems to be more of a "make me feel better" type of situation for Ben. He's not going to pound the door in on Art II and demand to throw the ball everywhere..lol.

LatrobePA
01-27-2012, 02:21 PM
He's also the QB that made this team like complete fools and they stood behind him! IMO he should STFU and play football!!

Mean Linebacker
01-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Seems everybody is making this too big of a deal here. The man said he wants to talk to his boss about where things are headed, I don't have a problem with it. I could see him saying I want to talk to Mike Tomlin first though, following the chain of command. Almost seems as if he's bypassing Tomlin in favor of going straight to the top.

coach
01-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Rooney to Ben- Here's your answer; go win. But since we are asking asking questions, "how did we go to Denver and make Baby Jesus look like Dan Marino? When you can answer that question for me, I'll anwser your questions about where this offense is going.

JensK
01-29-2012, 08:52 PM
I for one cannot wait to actually hear more about their "conversation". I think Ben is being unhealthy vocal about this, even though it probably aint a big deal.

Clevelandsux
01-29-2012, 09:13 PM
i just can't believe how they are talking about Arians. Like he is some sort of genius or something. The guy is awful. 2 yard bubble screens to hines ward? Arians had no imagination at all. Why do we all know this, and nobody else does?

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Since when does Ben expect or even demand answers from up front? He should become a real team player and stop trying to manage beyond his abilities. At this point in time I would advise Ben to STFU and don't make life difficult in the front office. I don't think the Rooney's are in any mood to have a rogue player stirring things up. That is my opinion only. Not really putting Ben down. I would be careful Ben. Take it from the trenches, everyone is expendable in this league. Or this could be rumor mongering run amoke to fill the idle time of the sports press to sb week? Hell who knows.

steelers75
01-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Rooney to Ben- Here's your answer; go win. But since we are asking asking questions, "how did we go to Denver and make Baby Jesus look like Dan Marino? When you can answer that question for me, I'll anwser your questions about where this offense is going.

Seems to me that question needs to be asked of LeBeau, not Ben. Wasn't Ben who allowed a damn scrub to average 30 yards a completion.

xBlitzBurghx
01-29-2012, 10:51 PM
I would trade Ben to the Browns. See how he likes playing for an organization like that

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

steelspikes
01-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Recent remarks by Ben Roethlisberger are disturbing. Last night at the Pro Bowl he referred to Bruce Arians (BA) as "family." Last week he claimed the Steeler offense was "close to being elite." Both remarks indicate distorted thinking and perception.
I'm curious: since BA is old enough to be Ben's father, is that the family member he thinks of him as?
BA gives toys to his son and says: go play...run your toys up and down the field...have a ball...don't worry about that nasty end zone...what matters is that you have fun and get plenty of exercise (aka yards). Go nuts.
Ben to BA: I love you, Dad.

Ben's use of term "close to elite" to describe the Steeler offense is so far removed from reality that it raises the question: just how seriously have his concussions affected his cognitive abilities? Steelers ranked in bottom third of NFL in scoring in 2011 (20 ppg). In the Red Zone they were even more pathetic.
So now the Head Toygiver has been given his walking papers, and the player is pissed. He wants answers from those evil usurpers, the Rooneys.
The Rooneys need to come to their meeting with Ben armed with facts and numbers that clearly demonstrate the following: that the Steelers have been carried by their defense for years, that while they've had elite defenses, they have never had an elite offense under Ben/Arians, have never even averaged the 25 ppg. that might lead one to suspect that an "elite" offense was emerging; that under five years of BA the Steelers averaged 22 ppg. In other words: mediocrity.

Under Ben/BA what was the identity of their offense? It often resembled sandlot football, with far too many drives ending with low percentage heaves downfield, seemingly in frustration after the bubble screens, stretch runs, and all-too-frequent sacks left them in hopeless third-and-long situations.
The Rooneys need to be blunt with Ben and tell him something like this: Look Ben, we think you are great. We love your skills. But it's time to refine them and become a mature NFL QB: one whose game isn't over-dependent on the big play, the quick score. We need a plan of action: a system that produces points and decisive wins, not just excitement and yardage. In other words: we are sick and tired of living on the edge.

Bottom line is this: if Ben isn't up to the task, then it's time to move on.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-30-2012, 02:32 PM
BLOWING. THINGS. OUTTA. PROPORTION. RELAX.

chisteeler
01-30-2012, 02:35 PM
I said it in other threads that this situation could define Ben as THE Leader of this team or a crying little bitch.

What will he do?

elephantman
01-30-2012, 02:53 PM

^I disagree....20 points is pathetic with the weapens they have...and i dont want to hear the words "O Line"...Ben, with his off field antics and a below average Offense, should STFU and if he wants to speek with his BOSS...He has a right to, but as stated, STFU about it in public. Perhaps he doesen't read the papers, as every steeler fan wanted BA out anyway, except for Ben..what does that say??

LatrobePA
01-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Drama queen, yes! Baby, NO! Broken bloody *** nose, etc etc...

BA was like a father to Ben so I'm sure it hurt but it's just part of the biz and I'm sure Ben will get over it..

One thing to keep in mind is Ben likes to get close with his coaches, he and his old college coach we're very tight until he passed away..

steelersbabex25
01-30-2012, 03:05 PM

:plus1:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2012, 03:41 PM

I think the Steeler Nation as a whole is blowing this whole situation outta proportion quite honestly. We're not used to this much controversy in an offseason.

I wouldn't expect him to say anything less quite honestly. I do think it was odd that he was throwing stats around, he doesn't usually do that. I think they are close to being elite but there are fundamental flaws in the redzone gameplan and the offensive line. Fix those and the talent is already in place to be elite.

SteelDad
01-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Go ask Terry Bradshaw what it's like to be QB in Pittsburgh. Love him or hate him, the guy made it through some hard times to lead us to 4 titles. Although very different personalities, Ben is finding out that everything he does and says is under a similar microscope. I have no problem with Ben being upset with Arians' dismissal. I have coaches who I was very close with and I get it. Ben has to understand that this is indeed a business and the business of getting the ball into the end zone is ultimately on Bruce Arians and he failed at that. OK, the players have to execute blah, blah, blah... Well, Arians is responsible for making sure they execute and he didn't.

If Ben believes he should have the same say in operations of the organization as Brady or Manning then he should have put himself in better positions off the field to earn that trust. Yes as the franchise QB he should have input, but he needs to understand who is in charge whether he likes it or not.

MDSteel15
01-30-2012, 04:11 PM

:plus1: :plus1:

I think if you listen to his tone in the interview you can tell he just wants to know what they are thinking of doing with the offense so he can have a leg up on the situation! I didn't think it was a big deal. When you have changes at work, don't you ask what is going on? Same thing here people.... :clap:

jcloss23
01-30-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't understand why 80% of this forum is blowing this situation out of control. We are making it a way bigger thing that it needs to be. Ben doesn't even sound that upset in any of these interview and I gaurentee that when Dick Lebeau retires and is done with football have of our defense will say he is like family. Ben spends every day with B.A. during the season and training camp and seeing him let go cant be easy.

I realize that I yell and complain when Ben hold the ball too long and gets sacked or tries to force a pass. But in the last 8 years I have realized that is how he plays love it or hate it. Ben has made this team from a yearly playoff contender, like with maddox and kordell, and changed it to a team that has the chance to go to the superbowl every year. Sure he makes his mistakes and should get rid of the ball sometimes but that what makes him special. Remember that last superbowl victory of ours? Yeah you can thank Ben for hanging on to the ball. Remember when we beat the ravens in the playoffs two years in a row? Yeah Ben gave us those chances too. So calm down and remember when he scrambles and you thing "wow, this guy is special."

If you really need a reminder maybe you should watch these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gs5IARvyZg Last 3 minutes of superbowl 43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WStktB55VN8 Just a highlight video.

There is only one other quarterback in this league with 2 superbowl victories. Maybe we should realize what we have in this guy and what he has done for this organization. Whether he has made some mistakes or not.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2012, 07:31 PM
That's what we're all saying, LOL. Initially before we heard the interview the way the comments were portrayed it sounded like Ben was throwing a fit. When you hear it, he's fine, atleast he's putting up that front that he is. He had a good time at the pro bowl and his honeymoon I'm sure. He'll come back and figure it all out.

The only time we should be concerned is if reports starting coming out that he and the Rooney's are at odds...but I highly doubt that happens.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-30-2012, 07:57 PM
He was referring to the STEELERS as family,if ya listened to interview.Do you seriously want another QB?? This has gotten way out of proportion...

Nolrog
01-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Oh for ****s sake. Stop it already people.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Funny how quick some fans turn on Ben.....I guess the memories of Brister, O'Donnell, Tomczak, Stewart, Miller, Graham, Maddox are still so fresh in my mind.......

Mr. Goosemahn
01-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Bruce Arians was the first coach Ben had that allowed him to air it out, so of course he likes him. They developed a good relationship and he's sad to see him go. That. is. it.

Nothing out of the ordinary with calling his favorite coach for the past five years "family." And while we're not an elite offense, he said we're close to it, and in all honesty, we are. We have an elite QB, an elite receiver in Wallace (yes, I do think he's elite and much, much, much more than a one trick pony), a great RB in Mendenhall, and a great overall group of receivers (including the TEs). We have key, young pieces in the O-line in Pouncey and Gilbert, with Colon also being a good, underrated player. All we need is a true FB, a couple of good guards, and an O-coordinator that knows how to use all weapons well.

Arians built a good system that Ben definitely liked, but he had very questionable decision making when it came to using that system. That's why I think he is being replaced. We've got almost all the pieces to be great, we just need someone who knows how to use them well.

steelspikes
01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Funny how quick some fans turn on Ben.....I guess the memories of Brister, O'Donnell, Tomczak, Stewart, Miller, Graham, Maddox are still so fresh in my mind.......

Really just looking for a little "tough love." The thing about Ben is that in 2007 (his best year scoring wise) the Steelers put up 24.6 ppg. Touchdown Tommy Maddox put up 24.4 ppg. in 2003. So where's the huge improvement? Steeler fans have become accustomed to mediocre offensive scoring.

What I am trying to say is that we need to step it up. What we had under Noll were elite units on both sides of the ball. Roethlisberger needs to develop discipline and an offensive system that other teams fear. We don't have that now. Smart coaches know how to shut down the Steelers's offense, which is over-dependent on the big-play, i.e., low percentage deep throws.

Play-calling under Arians was predictable and un-creative. So happy he is history.
I have been a huge Big Ben fan, but am tired of the sandlot style which this year yielded only 20 ppg. We need to find out if he can mature into a style that consistently produces an elite level of scoring: 27-30 ppg. So far he hasn't shown this ability.

LatrobePA
01-31-2012, 11:53 AM
With the right OC and all the weapons this team has the defense shouldn't have to carry the load year in and year out, give Ben the help he needs and this team could put up 30 week in and week out!

Raleigh Steel
01-31-2012, 01:01 PM
so much controversy over a very mediocre coach. :duh:

CowherPower
01-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Lebeau had a bad game in the playoff contest, there is no denying that. Could not have come at a worse time either. Given his history though I'm glad he is sticking around to coach the defense.

I don't think we will hear much about that conversation that Ben has with Mr. Rooney but I trust it will go fine. It is the off season after all, every comment is blown way out of proportion.

Ben to the Browns, no way he would have survived even half this long with that team..HAHA

Big T
01-31-2012, 03:44 PM
All of this **** has been blown so completely out of proportion that it is laughable. People LOVE drama and making things out to be so much bigger than they are.

Im so absolutely elated that Bruce Arians is gone that I couldn't give two shits about any of this over blown ****.

NYCsteelersfan
01-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Recent remarks by Ben Roethlisberger are disturbing. Last night at the Pro Bowl he referred to Bruce Arians (BA) as "family." Last week he claimed the Steeler offense was "close to being elite." Both remarks indicate distorted thinking and perception.
I'm curious: since BA is old enough to be Ben's father, is that the family member he thinks of him as?
BA gives toys to his son and says: go play...run your toys up and down the field...have a ball...don't worry about that nasty end zone...what matters is that you have fun and get plenty of exercise (aka yards). Go nuts.
Ben to BA: I love you, Dad.

Ben's use of term "close to elite" to describe the Steeler offense is so far removed from reality that it raises the question: just how seriously have his concussions affected his cognitive abilities? Steelers ranked in bottom third of NFL in scoring in 2011 (20 ppg). In the Red Zone they were even more pathetic.
So now the Head Toygiver has been given his walking papers, and the player is pissed. He wants answers from those evil usurpers, the Rooneys.
The Rooneys need to come to their meeting with Ben armed with facts and numbers that clearly demonstrate the following: that the Steelers have been carried by their defense for years, that while they've had elite defenses, they have never had an elite offense under Ben/Arians, have never even averaged the 25 ppg. that might lead one to suspect that an "elite" offense was emerging; that under five years of BA the Steelers averaged 22 ppg. In other words: mediocrity.

Under Ben/BA what was the identity of their offense? It often resembled sandlot football, with far too many drives ending with low percentage heaves downfield, seemingly in frustration after the bubble screens, stretch runs, and all-too-frequent sacks left them in hopeless third-and-long situations.
The Rooneys need to be blunt with Ben and tell him something like this: Look Ben, we think you are great. We love your skills. But it's time to refine them and become a mature NFL QB: one whose game isn't over-dependent on the big play, the quick score. We need a plan of action: a system that produces points and decisive wins, not just excitement and yardage. In other words: we are sick and tired of living on the edge.

Bottom line is this: if Ben isn't up to the task, then it's time to move on.

How old are you? If you're not old enough to remember Kordell Stewart and Neil O'Donnell, then go watch some videos. If you are old enough to remember Kordell Stewart and Neil O'Donnell but you weren;t watching them or forgot, then go watch some videos.

You should get a job at ESPN. They love people who make stories out of nothing.

Just a little.

^I disagree....20 points is pathetic with the weapens they have...and i dont want to hear the words "O Line"

So Eli Manning and Brady don't have a comfortable 5 or more seconds in the pocket every time? Oh okay.

The thing about Ben is that in 2007 (his best year scoring wise) the Steelers put up 24.6 ppg. Touchdown Tommy Maddox put up 24.4 ppg. in 2003.

This is where those videos that I told you to watch before will also come in handy. You know who Maddox's wide receivers were that year? A guy named Hines Ward in his prime and another guy who only trails Randy Moss in most yards per catch for his career. You remember that guy?

Black@Gold Forever32
01-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Really just looking for a little "tough love." The thing about Ben is that in 2007 (his best year scoring wise) the Steelers put up 24.6 ppg. Touchdown Tommy Maddox put up 24.4 ppg. in 2003. So where's the huge improvement? Steeler fans have become accustomed to mediocre offensive scoring.

What I am trying to say is that we need to step it up. What we had under Noll were elite units on both sides of the ball. Roethlisberger needs to develop discipline and an offensive system that other teams fear. We don't have that now. Smart coaches know how to shut down the Steelers's offense, which is over-dependent on the big-play, i.e., low percentage deep throws.

Play-calling under Arians was predictable and un-creative. So happy he is history.
I have been a huge Big Ben fan, but am tired of the sandlot style which this year yielded only 20 ppg. We need to find out if he can mature into a style that consistently produces an elite level of scoring: 27-30 ppg. So far he hasn't shown this ability.

How many times were drives killed thanks to stupid penalties by his OL?....Kemoeatu should be nicknamed the drive killer........:lol: I'm so sick of hearing all that Ben just plays sandlot ball....That is BS and Ben has grown to be a damn good pocket passer........Fix the OL and I mean really fix the OL which can actually provide a consistent pocket from time to time......

The Steelers started the year with Jonathan Scott at LT and had to settle for Max Starks off the scrap heap when Scott once again proved he isn't worth a pot to **** in.....Starks was an improvement but Max has never been a great OT......Throw in that fat worthless stupid sloth Kemoeatu and the injuries to Pouncey that plagued all year and the Steelers interior offensive line was a total mess.......

How many QBs do you think can thrive behind the Steelers joke of an offensive line?....

NYCsteelersfan
01-31-2012, 07:02 PM
How many QBs do you think can thrive behind the Steelers joke of an offensive line?....

That's the only question everyone needs to ask when evaluating Roethlisberger, and if they name quarterbacks like Brady and the Mannings, then they're just idiots or they don't actually watch enough football games to know how miserable this offensive line really is.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2012, 10:37 AM
We got a glimpse of what Ben could do behind an offensive line that actually blocked for him. Yes it was in the Pro Bowl but just seeing him actually with time to drop back, find a target, and get rid of the ball without being killed was nice.

Ben is as good as any Quarterback in the league, I really believe that. If you put him behind an offensive line like the Patriots or Texans or Packers have for example, he'd be lighting up the stat sheet just like anyone else.

He and Eli Manning are a lot alike, they both got killed regularly this season but they keep coming back and don't get rattled.

LatrobePA
02-01-2012, 11:42 AM
I thought Ben had a pretty lousy year this past season. With that said I also think he could and will tear it up with the right playcalling and or some damn protection (from him and his oline).

Ben holding the ball too long in that Brown's game while his ankle got rolled up cost us a trip to the SB this year. He needs a COACH to help with his decisions!