PDA

View Full Version : Hampton to have surgery on ACL on Friday

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2012, 02:04 PM
EdBouchette just tweeted that Casey Hampton is scheduled for ACL surgery tomorrow. He said he also still wants to play in 2012. This will furter complicate the NT issue and Hampton's contract money and salary cap hit he'll have on the team this season.

Real Deal Steel
01-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Steelers NT Hampton to undergo ACL surgery Steelers NT Casey Hampton will undergo surgery to repair his torn left ACL on Friday.
Hampton initially hoped to heal the ACL with "rest and rehab," but doctors apparently informed him a reconstruction was required. It's the third ACL surgery of Hampton's 11-year career, and will almost certainly cost him several games to open the 2012 season. The operation also makes it more likely that Hampton will be released. The 34-year-old's cap number is $8.1 million. Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Jan 26 - 12:36 PM

--- Added 1/26/2012 at 01:28 PM ---

We are in a lot of trouble at the nose tackle spot now.

Callax
01-26-2012, 03:59 PM
This probably the result of the guard-tackle or center-guard allowed to CUT BLOCK!!!
BS rule
How many more ACL's have to be torn before the "League" anf KING ROGER will disallow this cheap shot rule!!!!

LatrobePA
01-26-2012, 04:26 PM
This probably the result of the guard-tackle or center-guard allowed to CUT BLOCK!!!
BS rule
How many more ACL's have to be torn before the "League" anf KING ROGER will disallow this cheap shot rule!!!!

Puss *** Ravens oline garbage blocking!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2012, 04:42 PM
This one comes as somewhat of a surprise. Casey himself said after the year he wouldn't need surgery, as did line coach Sean Kugler. Apparently a second opinion said otherwise. If it was questionable as to the severity then I'm glad he's having it now and has the next 6 months to recover before he really has to play again.

HUNT4SEVEN
01-26-2012, 05:16 PM
So either we draft that NT from Memphis, Or that ILB from AZ or Bama In round 1,Or move Ziggy to NT where he actually play good, OR dare i say we switch to the 4-3 this offseason:thinking: Because we are thin at ILB also we need new young blood there.Decisions, decision, decisions:banging:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton said he will have surgery Friday to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, an injury he sustained in the season-ending playoff loss in Denver.
The Steelers had indicated that Hampton would not need knee surgery, but the five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette today he will have the surgery to repair his ACL.
It will be the third time Hampton has had ACL surgery, two of which came during his Steelers career. It is the second time he has had the surgery on his left knee.
Hampton, 34, said he wants to play in 2012, but his salary will be $4.89 million and his cap value will be more than $8 million next season. And team president Art Rooney II said the organization will face "tough decisions" during the offseason because the Steelers are $25 million over the salary cap.
With the retirement of long-time backup nose tackle Chris Hoke, however, the Steelers are not prepared to go into 2012 without both players at what many consider to be the most important position in the 3-4 defense.
The only one backup nose tackle is Steve McLendon.

From the PG: (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12026/1206212-100.stm#ixzz1kbTWEizt)

Nolrog
01-26-2012, 06:03 PM
This makes the Hampton call a no brainer. They gotta cut him to save the cap space (that saves almost 6 million on the salary.) He's already a part time player, only playing first and second downs, they can't keep such a large salary on the books when the prospect is that he won't be ready until the middle of the year, perhaps later. If he's able to play, then they could sign him to a cheaper contract.

connecticutsteel
01-26-2012, 06:55 PM
The way i see it is the team has brought in two players already to bolster the compitition at Nose Tackle next season .Im not saying that they will make the team or an impact but they have to find some depth now that Hoke is retired.

Kade Weston 6'5" 320 4.9 40yd dash

Mike blanc 6'3" 298 4.9 40 yd dash

More than likely they will just be camp fodder but you never can tell
My personal opinion is that this is Hamptons 3rd acl surgery so as long as the zone cut blocks(chop blocks) are legal he won't be effective because he has lost his explosion.But more than his loss of speed and erosion of skills he is an 8 to 8.5 million dollar savings to the salary cap.It would serve us well to let him go and release him he only plays 1 or 2 downs anyway slide Hood over move Heyward in and move Al Woods up

Black&Gold Munch
01-26-2012, 10:06 PM
I love big Casey! He reminds of Keith Trailor from the Broncos. I'll never forget seeing him run down the field after a fumble recovery just looking around trying to find someone to hand the ball off too. HAHA. I can see Casey doing that too! Sorry, couldn't resist but I do think he should come back if they can afford him.

Nolrog
01-27-2012, 07:24 AM
OR dare i say we switch to the 4-3 this offseason:thinking: Because we are thin at ILB also we need new young blood there.Decisions, decision, decisions:banging:

They don't have the depth or the talent on the line to switch. In a 4-3 defense, the play makers are on the defensive line. We don't have those kinds of guys to just up and switch.

The disruption (to the #1 defense last year I might add) would be significant. Woodley would probably move from OLB to DE (and then we're short at LB again), Ziggy would move in to DT along with ?? and then we'd need another 4 guys for depth and rotation. And to top it off, LeBeau isn't a 4-3 guy.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2012, 05:43 PM
If they were going to go a 4-3 at some point it wouldn't be while Lebeau is still here. It's not that he couldn't coach that type of defense but rather they wouldn't put the team through that when he doesn't have many years left. If you're going to change then you change with Butler takes over as DC some day.

It's a dilemma right now that they were hoping they wouldn't have to be in. That Denver game was a costly one to say the least. Losing 2 starters to ACL surgeries and various others with significant ailments.

Real Deal Steel
01-27-2012, 06:41 PM
We are in dire need on the lines. The guys we have now for the nose tackle spot can not push the middle of the pocket the way we need. That's the truth.

Nolrog
01-27-2012, 09:34 PM
They don't have the depth or the talent on the line to switch. In a 4-3 defense, the play makers are on the defensive line. We don't have those kinds of guys to just up and switch.

K-Train, if you're reading, what do you think? Does the talent we have now lend itself to a 4-3 set up? Or would we be looking at a major overhaul in personell in order to accomplish a switch? Be interested to hear your thoughts.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2012, 10:57 PM
They have talent on the 34 defense right now to play a 43. They play on a regular basis in their gameplan to switch things up.

Hampton, Keisel, Hood, and Woodley or McLendon on the front line.
Timmons, Harrison, and Worilds or Woodley as linebackers.

It wouldn't be an impossible switch but it would take some adjustment in game situations. You could do variations where you put Woodley and Harrison on the line and rush them from the same side, which would be wicked!

Nolrog
01-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Hampton, Keisel, Hood, and Woodley or McLendon on the front line.

There's a difference between playing 4-3 to switch it up and playing it as your base (you can always change things up for a few plays and make due with what you have, but when you play that as your base, then things are very different.) Hampton, as you know, is injured and quite possibly finished. You cannot count him in the argument that they have the talent for a 4-3 (and you counted Woodley both on the line and as a LB by the way.)

Plus, in the 4-3, the play makers are on the line. They are the ones that get in the backfield, put pressure on the QB and make the plays. Beyond the fact that we have bodies, are these guys really play makers? They are good in the 3-4 where their job is to take up space so the line backers can make the plays, but I do you really see this group as the bunch of play makers needed to make a base 4-3 successful?

LatrobePA
01-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Put a stitch or two in his stomach too doc!